• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad C.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Martinsville
    For the benefit of those that hit "first unread".

I went today to L1 security (5555 n Tacoma) and paid $85.95 and got finger printed. It took about 2 minutes. I got a receipt and headed to the city county building. Once in there, go to the east wing and all the way to the end of the hallway. Get a small form to fill out and pay $50 via money order. They will take thumb and index prints again (I imagine just to make sure they match the L1 records. I was in and out of the city county building in under ten minutes. It was completely painless. Now I will sit and wait for 2-14 days for my lifetime carry permit.

Total cost:
    $85.95 at L1
    $50.00 at City County building
    $135.95 total cost.

This was in Marion county.

They didnt charge me 50? I did the same thing today... I suppose now that will be the hold up on my permit...

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    finally received my license in the mail middle of last week. had a busy weekend so i wasn't able to get on here and share....it's been so long ago i don't even remember when i applied. I'm just glad i finally got my little pink piece of paper. can finally go to the range now.

enginewithyou

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I finally filed for my lifetime handgun license in marion county friday.

Step 1. fill out the online permit application. (valid for 30 days)

Step 2. Background check. Either done at Room E100, 50 N. Alabama St, Indianapolis, In ; or at an L-1 location. There's info about L-1 when you finish the application, costs a little extra ($12 for the lifetime), but supposedly cuts the wait time way down.
    I chose the L-1 route, was fast and easy, just make sure you make an appointment or they can't help you. They did let me make an appointment in their office, they just can't do anything unless you're in their system. They can't take cash either, but you can pay with a credit card when you make the appointment. The actual fingerprinting took about 3 minutes. No lines, hence the appointment.

Step 3. If you didn't go to room E100 yet, you need to now. Inside the door turn right and find the desk that says "Firearms" above it. They find your application on the computer, and you show them your L-1 receipt. They send you to the other desk for the local BG check, half sheet form to fill out, pay your local fee ($50 for lifetime), and more fingerprints.

Step 4. Wait.
    As of this posting, the wait time is up to 12 weeks for the normal BG check. With the L-1 check, supposedly cut down to 3-7 days. I'll post again, letting you know the actual wait time.

@Patient zer0, hope that helps, The L-1 thing is the only real suggestion I have for making things go more smoothly. All in all, took me about 2 hours to fill out the app, go to L-1, go to E100. And most of that time was driving.

ps. The hours that E100 is open are 8am-4pm, Mon-Fri.

Last edited:

noday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    I just posted a thread on the new inkless fingerprint scans. It feels funny not doing the fingerprints in a police station. This was a semi empty office building with one computer with a scan machine. I know it sound strange, but it is all apart of a contracted service by the ISP if I am not mistaken.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    Can anyone comment on what exactly I would need to do in Boone county? Do I need to do it in Lebanon or can I do it at ZPD by my house? I'll be doing it on a short day that I'm home from school. Can I do the L1 part in Lafayette a couple days before I come down?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Just filled out the online application. I'm doing my fingerprinting on Thursday. However, I was wondering if I can go the same day that I do fingerprinting to do the rest of the application at the City-County Building? I don't really want to take 2 days off to do this, but I will if I need to.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Just filled out the online application. I'm doing my fingerprinting on Thursday. However, I was wondering if I can go the same day that I do fingerprinting to do the rest of the application at the City-County Building? I don't really want to take 2 days off to do this, but I will if I need to.

Yes, you can go straight from L1. No appointment needed at the City County Building. :)

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    L-1 seems to be the way to go. Warrick county doesn't offer online applications though. Does using L-1 without using the online application have any advantages over doing it the old way? If its worth going to L-1 anyways do I need to set it up with them or go to the police department first? I went to L-1 site and it asked me for my application number so I'm guessing thr police department first. Has anybody else run into this before?

Top Bottom