• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Getting ready to install a Weigand scope mount and Match Dot on my Range Officer and I will need to remove the rear sight so the slide can be removed/installed with the mount in place. Appears one can remove the two tiny set screws underneath the sight leaf and either tap it off with a brass punch or use a sight pusher. This is my question - which one to use? Any words of advice? I do not have a sight pusher to use and would prefer the brass if it will work.

Thanks in advance,

Les

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hi Les

I just did a little research on the rear sight and it would appear you are correct. Some say they are loctited.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I always ended up denting the sight, even with a brass punch, though I haven't cared too much as I did not intend to put the original sights back on. Hopefully yours will go better.

OTOH, I have a universal sight pusher that has worked on everything I have thrown at it, if you are in South Bend and want to try to meet up sometime.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I always ended up denting the sight, even with a brass punch, though I haven't cared too much as I did not intend to put the original sights back on. Hopefully yours will go better.

OTOH, I have a universal sight pusher that has worked on everything I have thrown at it, if you are in South Bend and want to try to meet up sometime.

Thanks to everyone,

PM Sent to CWillour

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    BEFORE you start wailing on it, make sure the slide is FIRMY held in a bench mounted vise that will not allow the slide to move any when struck. Use enough hammer. A brass punch is fine. Trust me on this.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks everyone. CWillour met me and used his sight pusher to remove the rear sight. Came right off with little resistance. Big thanks to him!

Today I drilled the 10 holes in my frame for my new mount (made by Weigand). Bought and used the drilling jig from the mount manufacturer. Just had to make a couple of wood clamps to hold the jig in place and level on the drill press and go at it with a #33 drill and some cutting oil. That ended up being much easier than I thought - and I am very happy with how it turned out so far. Next to tap the threads, but had to order a 6-40 tap as I could not find one at my usual places to buy tools.

Les

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    And here's the pistol with the mount and Match Dot installed. Next will be some grips.

Les

RangeOfficer_zps512c4ce8.jpg

Top Bottom