Recommendations on a .22 LR non-revolver pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Haven let me play with his GSG 1911 in 22. Its very nice. Heavy enough that there is absolutely no recoil. Reminds me of shooting a pellet pistol.

and the Ruger 22/45 is also nice. I own one of those and love it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Had a chance to shoot a Smith 41 at a range once. Oh . . . my . . . yes. I just assume they're beyond most people's budget. It's a whole different level.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am a pursuer of all things 22LR.
    I have researched all of the guns being discussed here and have or have not bought them b/c research doesn't support them (as mentioned).
    I don't have the S/W 41: it is a goal, but they are pricey.
    The S/W M/P Compact ($300/Cabelas) last summer b/c of a tip here) is my benchmark in a semi-auto 22LR: love everything about it.
    I would love to have a Ruger Mark 4, and/or a Browning, and have almost bought many times, including this past week.
    I almost bought a Browning Buck Mark this week but it was priced used as high as I can buy a new one for.

I love my Beretta Neos ($175).
    I had a Sig 1911 ($300, b/c of repairs), and have the GSG 1911 that mentioned ($350 b/c of $500 of upgrades), and the RIA XT 1911 ($300).
    Bought the Bersa Thunder new, simply b/c it was all-metal ($300).
    Have an older S/W 22A-1

In revolvers: an older H&R 939.
    Other revolvers: bought new a Ruger GP100, SS, 10 shot, 6.5" barrel ($600+): my pride and joy in a revolver.
    and Taurus 990 4" barrel, SS, 9 shot ($375).

I have been buying/selling/seeking only about a year after a 35 year hiatus from guns, so I'm still learning which ones to stay away from (couple have been mentioned) and even ones that have been recommended have come under criticism if you read enough.

The S/W M/P Compact 22LR was built from the ground up by S/W not farmed out/subcontracted like others are (like the Beretta M9-22 that I want, but made by Umarex, and the Colt 1911-22 and many others are not made in their factories: I think the Colt was made by Walther).

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ruger mark series for the win !!! Whoo hoo! 2 guns that go to the range with me no matter what. My edc and my mk3. I use it for everything from squirrel hunting to practicing the basics. And its always a blast!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I recently acquired a Ruger Mark IV Target and it’s terrific. Only one failure to eject in first 200 rounds shooting CCI Standard Velocity and sights are spot-on. It’s so much better than I am every time I pick it up I strive to realize more of its potential. Plus the fit, finish, and workmanship are simply flawless, a real work of firearm art.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So I've been told. I'm sure I will pick one up. Just haven't yet. I have a MKII with a 10 inch barrel I probably shoot the most.

Ditto. I've probably got more rounds through my 10" MKII than all of my other guns combined. It's rare that it doesn't get shot at every outing.

ztM8RPr.jpg

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all for the info! so before we read this and watched some video my wife and I were leaning towards the Walther, now that looks like about the worst option, so now we're leaning towards either the M&P, Buckmark, or MK IV, taking my M91/30 that i paid to have cleaned of cosmoline and then have never shot, my Rossi combo gun (i don't know the model but its an older one of the ones where you can quickly swap out the barrel and shoot multiple different calibers/types of ammo? its got the 20ga and .22lr barrels right now, was an heirloom from my father), and an old Marlin .22LR model 60 to the show this weekend hoping to trade/sell and be able to buy one of those 3 and maybe if i'm lucky a used or new glock 17 while i'm at it!

But, more importanly, i at least now know what to shop for!

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    My wife has a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. She loves shooting it. I get to clean it. Take five seconds to field strip it, five to put it back together. I have a Browning Buck Mark Medallion. Other than taking out the magazine, no disassembly for normal cleaning. Takes less time to clean than the Ruger. It is fun to shoot and a very pretty gun. Bought both new during the last 12 months.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    I must agree with this P22 assessment. I had one with the nickel slide several years ago. Neat looking little gun, but not very accurate. I didn't have nearly the success or fun with it that I've had with the SR22. Mine is the TB version and has been nothing short of reliable, very accurate, and a lot of fun. I've fondled the M&P 22 Compact, but the hinged trigger doesn't feel quite right to me, nor did it break as nicely as my SR22. But the price point on either the M&P 22 Compact or the SR22 is really nice right now.

I'm kind of watching for Ruger to release a Mark IV Lite with the stainless/brushed aluminum top. I'm still kind of kicking myself for letting an OD Green Mark IV Lite slip through my fingers last Fall, I liked that color combination a LOT, and haven't seen one in person since.

I also agree with the P22 assessment. Handles ok and accuracy was good (at least for me) but the ammo issues are bad. Mine would only eat CCI and FTF on all other makes of ammo. I’m looking at moving it in favor of a Ruger Lite.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i saw that one on brownells, didn't know if it was any good, never heard of the brand, its not like a hi-point where its cheap, but like shooting a clay brick in your hand is it?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thank you all for the info! so before we read this and watched some video my wife and I were leaning towards the Walther, now that looks like about the worst option, so now we're leaning towards either the M&P, Buckmark, or MK IV, taking my M91/30 that i paid to have cleaned of cosmoline and then have never shot, my Rossi combo gun (i don't know the model but its an older one of the ones where you can quickly swap out the barrel and shoot multiple different calibers/types of ammo? its got the 20ga and .22lr barrels right now, was an heirloom from my father), and an old Marlin .22LR model 60 to the show this weekend hoping to trade/sell and be able to buy one of those 3 and maybe if i'm lucky a used or new glock 17 while i'm at it!

You can also pay $20 for a site supporter status here and sell them in the classifieds. You'd probably get a better price on the Mosin and the Rossi than you would at the show. Just my 2 cents.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been looking at a Mark IV Competition model after hearing all the great things about them. At the risk of hi-jacking this thread (I think this will be good info for the OP as well), I did not get along with the wooden grip with the thumb rest at all. My support hand had nowhere to go, and it was very uncomfortable to shoot with two hands.

Does anyone have one of those models that can comment on that? I am sure there are aftermarket grips, but for me, it seems as if it was designed for a right-handed bullseye shooter that shoots with one hand only.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Huh BigTanker, didn't know that was an option! but i'm already going to the show, so i think i'll give that a shot, but if i still have $20 by the end of the weekend, its definitely going to the site, regardless how my time at the show goes, i'm loving the community here and how hepful everyone is and would love to support the site!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. You have done well in your focusing on these guns: I have researched to death the .22LR and everyone here has steered you correctly.
    2. Mosquito: RUN, don't walk. Everyone including a guy at a Gun Shop in Plainfield just yesterday says they have feed issues. I had one in my hand b/c it said "Sig Sauer" on it and when he said it was the Mosquito I hurriedly gave it back. :laugh: But, perhaps someone here has gotten lucky.
    3. Just like the Ruger SR22, some have had finicky ammo issues with it and some have had none, but after shooting one at the range, I'm keeping my S/W M/P Shield 9mm.
    4. Enjoy the hunt! I love reading about someone pursuing the .22LR since I can add to my knowledge base either verifying what I think I know or changing my mind about one.

Last edited:

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    its like .22LR doesn't seem that exciting, but for someone like me who is a pretty garbage shot right now, its an affordable way to work towards getting rounds on target and a smaller grouping after that, so its very exciting to me, because buying decent ammo at 25 cents or more a round for my .40 or 9mm, versus 10 cents or less for a 22 and the gun will basically pay for itself just in ammo savings while training!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    its like .22LR doesn't seem that exciting, but for someone like me who is a pretty garbage shot right now, its an affordable way to work towards getting rounds on target and a smaller grouping after that, so its very exciting to me, because buying decent ammo at 25 cents or more a round for my .40 or 9mm, versus 10 cents or less for a 22 and the gun will basically pay for itself just in ammo savings while training!

I’m a huge fan of 22s, +/- 70% of my collection is currently 22LRs. Range trips are mostly 22s with the occasional centerfire. I have a lot more fun with my MkIII than I did with any of my 9mms. Find a quality option and 22s are a lot of fun.

It it can be addicting though. One nice 22 turns into two and the next thing you know you are dropping a grand on a built 10/22.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i saw that one on brownells, didn't know if it was any good, never heard of the brand, its not like a hi-point where its cheap, but like shooting a clay brick in your hand is it?
    No, GSG was the maker of the mosquito for sig, its a pretty decent little 22 after you break it in

Top Bottom