• ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Ok. Who has one and how do you like it?

I'm trying desperately to fight off a terrible urge to get one. I love how it is fully programmable and can store the data plus very accurate. I made the mistake of sitting through some youtube videos and really, really got the fever! Trouble is I have 2 new powder measures and 2 new scales that have never been used yet so I keep trying to tell myself that I really don't need it. :nono:
    But I want it! :rockwoot:
    :lol2:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    They work.
    Mine broke once just a little past the 1 year warranty, it was fixed for a reduced price (maybe 30% of new purchase price of the scale section).

Kind of depends on how many charges you need it to dispense whether it is worthwhile or not. What I do now is 99% reloader powder hopper dispensed so the charge master mainly just gets used for the electronic scale when I'm making adjustments, for routine weight checks I prefer a good beam scale.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have one and really only use it for working up new loads. Other than that it is too slow to get any major loading done. It is also sensitive and does not like it when I am seating a bullet while it is trickling. Nice to be able to change powder charges by the push of a button. I still check it against my Lee balance beam. It overall has been a nice addition to the bench and seems accurate.

Only reason I justified buying it is because Cabelas had it on sale with a rebate from RCBS then I used my cabelas points. I think it only cost me like 75 bucks out of pocket at that point.

I wouldn't pay full price for one.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I load with a single stage, and have been using the Chargemaster for close to two years. For me, it was a great investment. It has sped up my reloading time considerably. No issues metering, no matter the powder I use.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have the PACT version that's similar, but with the scale separate from the dispenser.
    I use it all the time, especially for IMR 4831 in my .30-06, which anyone will tell you meters very poorly through a conventional powder measure due to being an extruded powder.
    I love the PACT unit, and i don't know how I would reload without it now.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Only reason I justified buying it is because Cabelas had it on sale with a rebate from RCBS then I used my cabelas points. I think it only cost me like 75 bucks out of pocket at that point.

I wouldn't pay full price for one.

That's probably the only reason one isn't sitting on the bench right now. Had I see the videos when I was a first buying equipment, I would have got one but now I just can't see spending another $300 when I already have a RCBS 505 beam, a Lyman Accu-Touch 200 digital scale and a pair of baffled Uniflo powder measures which all together will achieve the same result, just not as fancy. What is hard to resist though is the programming and stored recipes, etc..

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There's much more to it than just programming and stored loads, though.
    To me, the main virtue is the ability to get accurately weighed loads every time, and the fact that it will handle all types of powder from ball, to flake, to extruded, with equal ease, something that many standard powder measures either will do poorly or not at all.
    Also, since I don't have a progressive press (Rock Chucker), my dispenser actually speeds up my reloading.
    I simply push the "dispense" button, then take my time carefully seating the round I just put powder into, while the dispenser drops the charge for the next round.
    By the time I've seated the previous round's bullet and put it in the box of finished rounds, the dispenser is done dropping its charge, and I repeat the process.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Don't waste your money...
    It might last a year or you might get lucky with 2 years of use, but it will break.
    I went through 3, paying to get it 'repaired' even when it had warranty.
    Now, they won't even 'repair' it, you get to buy a new one.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Don't waste your money...
    It might last a year or you might get lucky with 2 years of use, but it will break.
    I went through 3, paying to get it 'repaired' even when it had warranty.
    Now, they won't even 'repair' it, you get to buy a new one.

There are alternatives.
    Hornady, Lyman, and Smart Reloader have their own versions.
    As I mentioned above, PACT also makes one, and that's the one I have had for well over a decade now.
    I've used it quite heavily over that time, making up well beyond 1000 rounds, with no problems at all.
    I would highly recommend it, plus I'm happy to say that mine is made in USA.
    They still make them right here, and they're proud to say so in this link here - PACT Inc. - Digital Powder Dispenser

"Q: Where is the Dispenser manufactured, I heard all this stuff comes from Red China?

A: That is a sore subject around here. None of our products are made "off shore." They are all made right here in Texas. This includes all of our electronic Scales, Shooting Timers, Chronographs and the Powder Dispenser."

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I have had one for about 2 years now. I love it. I use it during load development and most of the loading I do for my rifles. I don't use it for the bulk stuff I do for my handguns and AR. It's too slow for that.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had one for about 2 years now. I use it during development and most of the loading I do for my rifles. I don't use it for the bulk stuff I do for my handguns and AR. It's too slow for that.

You can program the speed. There is a video on You Tube on how to. It is fast enough for bulk loading.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I just bought mine, but haven't used it yet. Natchez Shooter Supply was the cheapest price ($290) I found and if you spend 10 more bucks on RCBS items you can get a $50 rebate.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Workbench Bling! After may last reloading session I realized that I don't need one. I realized it is nothing more than an expensive gadget that is totally unnecessary for my level of reloading. If you were reloading thousands of rounds at a time and many calibers then I could see where it could possibly come in handy. Luckily I realized this before I spent another $300 on something that doesn't do any more than the measuring items I already have. Instead I took less than half of that money and bought a good rotary tumbler that will be used a hell of a lot more.

Top Bottom