Range trip 9/13/09 (Long, pic-heavy - 56K GO HOME)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hey all! This morning, akaindy, GunInfected1 and I saddled up and hit the road for a long-awaited range trip.

I wanted to finish troubleshooting a couple guns, get the new RDS on my AK-105 dialed in prior to NFA Day, run some ammo through Saiga-12 #2 with its new gas reg and railed forearm, and play with the Gemtech MultiMount a bit more. akaindy had a new-to-him rifle to shoot, and brought his AR carbine, AK-74 and G17 to run as well. GunInfected1 needed to continue working on his pistol skills.

Beautiful sunny day, mild temps, and we all but had the range to ourselves. I AM NOT COMPLAINING. :D

It was a great time, everyone got done what they set out to accomplish, and all the guns ran well. Couldn't ask for better!

On with the pics...

P1010047.jpg

akaindy with his Armalite AR-180B. Interesting gun. Extremely lightweight, has a sharp/fast recoil sensation like an AK-74 (it's a piston system), but zero muzzle rise. Plastic handguards have no heat shields, so the forearm gets smokin' hot pretty quick. Armalite is not currently building or supporting the -180B, as they are busy cranking out AR-15s as fast as they can. This is unfortunate, as the platform has potential if anyone would care to more fully exploit it.

P1010052.jpg

akaindy empties his AR carbine (last case has ejected; bolt locked to the rear). This gun was built the weekend prior to a carbine course back in 2007, and has run impeccably from day 1.

P1010051.jpg

Smoke on!

P1010050.jpg

GunInfected1 gets infected with a dose of BRD compounded by the dreaded NFA bug...

P1010055.jpg

P1010061.jpg

The AK-105 got rode hard and put away wet. But who cares? It's an AK... :yesway:

P1010068.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010063.jpg

Everybody loves the Big Russian Hammer. :D Adding the railed forearm and vertical grip completely changes the gun's handling characteristics (for the better). Additionally, I got the settings on the new gas reg figured out, so the gun ran reliably with Remington "Gun Club" low brass (aluminum base) birdshot, as well as several brands of reduced-recoil 00 buck.

P1010067.jpg

Two rounds (18 pellets) of Federal LE133 00 Flite Control reduced recoil 00 buck at 12 yards. I friggin' love this stuff, and have yet to see a shotgun that doesn't pattern well with it.

After the big guns were done, it was over to the plate racks for some pistol-caliber fun...

P1010072.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

Running the plate racks

Finally, we ended the day running a little bit of Federal 147 FMJ subsonic through the Gemtech MultiMount on both the 9mm AR and the Glock 17.

P1010081.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010088.jpg

P1010091.jpg

The LMT, AK-105, 9mm SBR and G17 will now need a thorough cleaning before NFA Day, but I don't mind; it's a labor of love. ;)

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the review/pics! Looks like the weather was awesome for you guys!

Aaron and I seem to have a similar taste in carbines. . . . or could it be a similar taste in carbine-building-gun-buddies?? :D I look forward to meeting him at NFA Day.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Did you guys see the green SUV? That was me.:D

:orly:

There was a guy shooting trap while we were there, and a non-member contractor doing some painting on the front gate. I vaguely remember hearing some shots from one of the other ranges once we moved over to the plate racks, but didn't pay it much mind and never saw the party responsible. Guess that was you, on the high power range maybe?

I find it amazing that the club has, what, 500-some members now, and on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon there were less than half a dozen shooters there. But people ask me why I have continued to maintain my membership after moving back to Indy, and drive "all that way" to shoot... ;)

Last edited:

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    The other belt is.

Belt = Eagle Molle belt, very comfortable with padding.
    Holster = Drop leg Safariland ALS 6304
    Med pouch = Blue Force Gear TraumaKit NOW (older version with shears pocket)
    Dump pouch = Maxpedition Rolly Polly
    AR mag pouch = Eagle pouch with Kydex insert.
    Flashlight pouch = Specter
    G17 double mag pouchs = Specter on both left and right sides for a total of 4 Glock mags.
    AR mag drop leg pouch on left leg= TAG (total od 4 ar mags) will change later to a specter set up to allow 4 AR mags or two AK mags.
    Edmon molle adaptors to hang the Drop leg holster and mag pouch from the molle on the belt.

Mark I still think you need to move your med pouch on one more loop and drop on a double specter mag pouch on the right side behind the pistol.

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    AR-18

The AR-18 was nice to shoot. I originally got it because I wanted to SBR it and machine a new aluminum lower for it. But after getting it in my hands a few months ago and reverse engineering it into solidworks I'm not sure it will be possible with the AR-18B becuase of the way they did the barrel trunion. I'll have to do more research to find out for sure. It is still a nice gun to shoot and could be a really nice peice if Armilite made it with a heavy profile 16" barrel, adjustable gas system, a rail on the top of the reciever, a forearm rail (doesn't really need to be free float), Billet or forged aluminum lower that uses AR stocks. With how handy the gun currently is, if the upgrades where added if would rival a fullly equiped AR-15.

Aaron

Top Bottom