• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bats&Gats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Ligonier
    Tax time is closing in and I've been looking for a new handgun, primarily for range use.

Had been thinking of maybe the M&P Pro Series, or even Smith's new CORE model. I'm open to ideas though.

Thoughts?

Bats&Gats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Ligonier
    If its just for range use, buy a 22 its cheaper to feed.

I'm definitely picking up a .22 as well. 500 rounds for $20 is unbeatable. As far as full calibers go, I was thinking about 9mm, mainly because it is one of the cheaper beasts to feed, haha.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Kinda in the same situation as you. I was considering getting a compact size but I really wan't something I can shoot accurately and if shtf a little more "useful". I have owned a full size XD40, and did enjoy it but wasn't me. I have looked at glocks, m&p, xd, and sr9s. i love the glocks but they just don't fit my hand. I didn't like the m&p much. Thought the sr9 had the best trigger out of the box. The Sr9 series and C series seem to be about best fit, although the grip is a little similar to the glock in its angle.

I'm probably going to go with the SR9, or SR9C. I don't think the grip is as attractive as some of the others but I plan on putting talon grips on it and just making it a great work horse.

Hope this helps, mainly me just rambling on. :)

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Check out an XDm. full size 19+1 in 9mm. Maybe even the 5.25 model. They come with 3 mags, holster, speed loader and dual mag holder. A little more than the m&p but with all it comes with, not much difference.

Just my :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thought the sr9 had the best trigger out of the box. The Sr9 series and C series seem to be about best fit, although the grip is a little similar to the glock in its angle.

I'm probably going to go with the SR9, or SR9C. I don't think the grip is as attractive as some of the others but I plan on putting talon grips on it and just making it a great work horse.

Hope this helps, mainly me just rambling on. :)

I have shot the G17, the SR9 and the M&P9. I really shot the SR9 the best of them, but for some reason I find myself wanting the M&P. Might be the marketing...

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm

New to this forum and as a new gun owner of the XDM I would add my opinion. A relative was kind enough to loan me his Springfield .40 Compact this summer. I had tried the .380 and didn't like the recoil. The .45 was manageable but I wanted something small enough to carry, use for home defense and enjoy using at a range.
    Went to a gun store and checked out some Glocks, didn't feel comfortable in my hand. The Smith & Wesson M & P was better, but still not quite right.
    Finally, I settled on a Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm. It fit my hand well and being 9mm the ammo is much cheaper than .40. Because the recoil is less than a .40 it's more fun to shoot and I am more accurate at shot placement. And it's not so large and heavy I can't carry it. Price is comparable to a Glock or the Smith & Wesson. Used ?
    I know some argue a 9mm is not comparable to a .45 or .357. But from what I've read about ballistics tests a 9mm is a respectable defensive round.
    In the end, find what you are comfortable shooting and carrying. If you don't like a firearm, it's not likely you'll reach for it in a threatening situation either.
    I enjoy practicing with my XDM, and have become a much better shooter at the range. Of course, the 19 round mag gives me a decent defensive edge if ever I should need it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    In my opinion, your 'range gun' should be your EDC. The two guns I shoot the most are the two I alternate carrying. The next most frequently shot is my Marlin 60 rifle. Now that is a tack driver!

Top Bottom