• ...and so much more!
  • anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Have to agree w melensdad

I was under the impression that as long as you separate the ammo from the gun and put it in the box your ok for temporary travel into/through Illinios. THIS IS WHAT SUCKS ABOUT OUR LAWS. While some aspects seem crystal clear many laws can be interpreted differently especially when you combine state w federal statues. Laws seem to be written w loopholes that can be interpreted differently and it screws everything up. Though our states are sovereign there always seems to be something that if a cop wants you bad enough they can still mess w you or take your firearms temporarily to make the whole deal not worthwhile. Our country was founded on the right to bear arms and protect ones family and self. I would transport it like u say and print the laws out that melensdad provided. Once a cop sees you have the legal documents I dont think they are gonna mess w you as they arent going to want to dick around reading paperwork, as long as everything else is on the up and up. Make sure you are clean and clear w yourself and vehicle. I will get off my horse now and have a cup of Joe. Good luck...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was under the impression that as long as you separate the ammo from the gun and put it in the box your ok for temporary travel into/through Illinios. . .

Actually you are very close. The original cardboard box the gun came in is generally not considered to be a proper container! Now if your gun came in a plastic injection molded case the snap closures then that would be considered a proper container. I believe there was actually a court case that decided these points, but the rules in IL do dictate a 'proper' container.

I strongly recommend that people read the PDF file that is in the other thread that I linked to a couple times in this thread. It very clearly indicates proper procedures (which are actually very simple to follow) for transporting a gun in Illinois.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Did the trip yesterday. As expected, it was uneventful. It's nice to know I'm in compliance though. Used the plastic molded container with a pad lock and stuck it under the seat in the very back.

Funny thing... When I went to open my center console, I found a bag of 50ct 40Cal reloads that I had purchased earlier in the week for my Beretta. At that point, I was very thankful I brought the larger container cause they fit right in too.

Thanks again all!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Here is a post from the thread melensdad cited earlier:

Thank you for all the input guys!
    I called the IL state police firearms div. and talked to the guy that wrote the faq. sheet on the ISP website.
    He told me I can bring a handgun if it is in a zip up case or better, mag can be in the same case with ammo in it but not in the gun. Gun must not have any rounds in it at all. I asked if I could have his name incase a less informed officer pulls me over, he said ''sure'' (I left his name on my desk at work, but will take it with me)....... He is the manager of the firearm and firearm training div. at the state police. I feel better after talking with him, very nice guy and was willing to answer any question I had. +1 for this officer at the IL State police dept.
    I'll be taking my gun with me now.:yesway:

Hopefully that is helpful.

While some statutes are hard to find and even some LEO's don't know the full law, sometimes you just have to ask the right people.

Top Bottom