• goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hello! I hope all is well.

Question: This coming week, I need to drive just across the border into Illinois from Indiana for a couple of hours. I know they are pretty screwed up over there, but is it legal for me to take my sidearm if I have it unloaded in a case with a padlock?

Please respond ASAP, would you???

Thanks!

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I disagree if you are passing through that is one thing but if you are purposely driving to Illinois for a specific meeting then you can not take your handgun. I know it stinks I have to do the same thing as you Tuesday. I have a meeting at a 138th and halstead trust me i wish I could be legal there but not the case.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you are passing through Illinois you would be good to go, but you indicated that your destination is IN Illinois. You are no go for taking a firearm into that state. Doesn't matter how it's stored or if it's loaded or not. Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're planning on stopping in Illinois for anything other than gas, the Interstate Transport law doesn't come into play. Doesn't matter if you avoid Chicago or not. The whole state of Illinois is a no go zone, if that's your destination. As I recall it's also a felony, so if you're caught you'll lose the right to keep and bear arms in Indiana, as well.
    Your call.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm also part of another forum. Just got this message.

This is the Federal Law on Interstate Transportation of Firearms:

Print it and take it with you and follow the rules

United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

The Federal Peaceable Journey Statute requires that you are legal both at the start and end of your journey. If you cannot legally possess a firearm at your destination, then the statute does not apply. The law is intended to allow you to pass from one state where you are legal to another state where you are legal when there is an intervening state where you are not legal, such as when driving from Indiana to Iowa and passing through Illinois.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If you are passing through Illinois you would be good to go, but you indicated that your destination is IN Illinois. You are no go for taking a firearm into that state. Doesn't matter how it's stored or if it's loaded or not. Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

He indicated that he would be in IL for few hours and his stated destination was IN:dunno:

Kinda a grey area IMO, I used to go to my relatives house in IL quite often and would just separate my gun and ammo and put them in separate locked containers in the trunk or cargo area depending on what I was driving.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I only possess an Indiana permit. Is a FOID card required?
    You do NOT need a FOID card as per Illinois law since you are not an Illinois resident you are exempt from needing the FOID card. Please go to the thread I linked to and read my posts, I even included information from the Illinois State Police indicating the legal way to transport a gun WITHIN the state of Illinois.

I disagree if you are passing through that is one thing but if you are purposely driving to Illinois for a specific meeting then you can not take your handgun. I know it stinks I have to do the same thing as you Tuesday. I have a meeting at a 138th and halstead trust me i wish I could be legal there but not the case.
    I understand you disagree but you are simply wrong. Please go and read the thread I linked to, it provides ample proof to correct the errors you are making.

You are also dead wrong. I'm tired of reposting the same information a dozen times, but its probably been at least that many times that I've corrected people who are mistaken. Please follow the link above so you can see that it is actually easier to transport a gun within the state of Illinois than it is within Indiana.

I'm also part of another forum. Just got this message.

This is the Federal Law on Interstate Transportation of Firearms:

Print it and take it with you and follow the rules

United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Again you are making the classic mistake of trying to apply a Federal law that does not apply in this case. There is clearly written state law that applies, follow the state law and you are good to go. Again, go to the link I posted above and read the thread.

The Federal Peaceable Journey Statute requires that you are legal both at the start and end of your journey. If you cannot legally possess a firearm at your destination, then the statute does not apply. The law is intended to allow you to pass from one state where you are legal to another state where you are legal when there is an intervening state where you are not legal, such as when driving from Indiana to Iowa and passing through Illinois.
    Again, the Federal law is not the applicable law. Please go to the link above and read the thread to see why you are mistaken and why it is legal to transport in Illinois!

He indicated that he would be in IL for few hours and his stated destination was IN:dunno:

Kinda a grey area IMO, I used to go to my relatives house in IL quite often and would just separate my gun and ammo and put them in separate locked containers in the trunk or cargo area depending on what I was driving.
    Nope not a grey area at all. Very clearly legal, as long as state law is followed! Again, follow the link in the earlier post I made, read that thread!!!

OK, it's looking like I need to leave the XD at home. Dang those pinko's in IL!!!

Why didn't you just read the thread I linked to instead of listening to people who don't have a freaking clue? :dunno:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hey, thanks for the info. Really... I'm still trying to understand all the laws as they pertain to this situation. Obviously...

I will re-read your post.

Thanks again Melensdad. Sorry to frustrate ya.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Hey, thanks for the info. Really... I'm still trying to understand all the laws as they pertain to this situation. Obviously...

I will re-read your post.

Thanks again Melensdad. Sorry to frustrate ya.

No its all the other people who I find frustrating. A newbie has every reason not to know and asking questions is something we all need to do when we don't know the answer. You are good.

But all the other answers provide no proof as to why they disputed me, they simply stated their mis-information and/or opinion. The link was there for them to follow and for them to learn from too.

The link I provided in my very first post provided all sorts of ample PROOF that it is LEGAL for Hoosiers to transport guns in the state of Illinois as long as they follow the rules. People who take the time to read through all 4 pages of that thread will find that there is even the name and phone number of the police officer who provided information and made up the Illinois State Police PDF file that is downloadable for all to read.

So let me restate. Legal in Illinois = Unloaded + In a proper container.

For specifics see this short 4 page thread => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gotta_go_to_communist_occupied_il_friday.html

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

As you have now gone to the links to the other thread you already know that it is LEGAL to use that case for transporting a firearm within the state of Illinois. Please make sure the gun is UNLOADED, the ammo should also be in the case (not loose in your car). If you want to put the gun in the trunk inside the case you will be double safe. Otherwise just put the gun in the case and the case in your glove box.

Be sure to read the PDF file that I linked to in the other thread.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    who makes up these rumors

as a former illinois resident i love to sit back and read the rumors, guesses and apparent "make it up as you go" on taking a firearm to illinois... it does not matter if you go there for 10 minutes or 10 months you can take it with you as long as you can legally own in indiana as an in resident, just follow illinois law, unloaded in a case(which can now be the glovebox and in the center console if enclosed, just be unloaded and ammo can be in a magazine next to it ready to be loaded). nothing too difficult to understand here really... the state sucks but you can take it with you still!!:ingo:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    melensdad you have provided information that i believe is up to interpetation. I read what you presented and this is what I see a gun can be in your vehicle while you are in illinois as long as it is unloaded and cased. I can agree with this as I do know that Illinois residents can take there handguns to a range and shoot or hunt. However what is your purpose in having your handgun with you. It is to protect yourself and this is where the problem is. Can you carry your handgun in such a manner as useful to protect you. That answer is NO. so is it legal to have a gun in your car maybe but is it legal to posses your gun in a manner which can protect you? That answer is no so I still say as far as I am concerned it is illeagal if my purpose is protection and not a shooting competition.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    melensdad you have provided information that i believe is up to interpetation. . .
    Believe anything you want but the facts are the facts.

Illinois is a state that has some really restrictive carry laws but if you would bother to read the other thread, and if you would follow the advice in that thread you'd go to the iCarry.org website and look up the container carry rules. Yes it is difficult to protect yourself in the state of Illinois. However it is not impossible and even with a gun you may do so, and you may legally carry it on your person, provided you follow their laws.

Yes, I said it, you can legally carry a gun in Illinois. Not just in your car but also on your body. Its not like we have here in Indiana, it still must be in a container but SOME TYPES of fanny packs have been determined by their courts to be a proper container. Yes the gun must be unloaded but the magazine can be in the same container (fanny pack) and that means you have to practice stripping out the gun and magazine and loading. The folks at iCarry.org call it "6 seconds to safety" and while I don't advocate it they do, and many of them actually do carry guns in Illinois and have defended it in court!

So believe what myths you want but I stand on fact and case law backs up my facts.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Originally Posted by Scutter01
    Again, the Federal law is not the applicable law. Please go to the link above and read the thread to see why you are mistaken and why it is legal to transport in Illinois!

I know. I was responding to goinggreyfast, who was trying to apply it, and saying it wasn't applicable. I wasn't commenting on the legality of carrying in Illinois. I probably shouldn't have used Illinois in my example.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I know. I was responding to goinggreyfast, who was trying to apply it, and saying it wasn't applicable. I wasn't commenting on the legality of carrying in Illinois. I probably shouldn't have used Illinois in my example.

But even then you misapply it.

What if your trip ends in Illinois and you start your journey in Ohio where your gun is legal? You travel through Ohio, Indiana and most of Illinois where your trip terminates. Using your mis-application of the peaceable journey law the gun, which is legally owned, becomes illegal the moment you cross into the state of Illinois because that is the destination state. But that is simply untrue.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It is sad, btw, that Indiana's restriction on carry/transport makes us one of those states where the non-licensed actually do require the Federal Peaceable Journey Statute just to pass through with a handgun locked in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But even then you misapply it.

What if your trip ends in Illinois and you start your journey in Ohio where your gun is legal? You travel through Ohio, Indiana and most of Illinois where your trip terminates. Using your mis-application of the peaceable journey law the gun, which is legally owned, becomes illegal the moment you cross into the state of Illinois because that is the destination state. But that is simply untrue.

Again, if you're legal in Ohio and Illinois, but not Indiana, that's when you are covered by the statute. I fail to see how that is misapplied. You're getting hung up on the fact that I chose Illinois as a (poor) example, but I really should have just said "any three (or more) states where you are not legal in the intervening state", or something to that effect. My only point was that the statute was not relevant in the case he was citing.

Top Bottom