• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Doing the last few things on my house and I am to the range hood. I planned to hard wire it in so I just have a wire sticking out of the drywall right now, but the hood range came with a 3 prong plug attached.

I'm guessing I can't just cut the plug off the cord and connect it to the romex, but from what I am reading the hood range has to have a dedicated circuit if it is on an outlet. Since i planned on hard wiring it, it is on a circuit with another plug.

Not really sure what the best way to fix this is, other than I guess knocking out drywall and running a whole new circuit for the range hood outlet.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Does the romex have a hot, neutral and a ground conductor? It should. If yes, then you can cut the plug off of the hood, and wire it to the romex. Nothing wrong with that.

If you do that, I would use some insulated butt splices, tape around each individual butt splice, and then also tape around the whole thing. If you offset the butt splices so they don't lay against each other, it will come out a little cleaner, at least with a smaller bulge where the splices are.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Does the romex have a hot, neutral and a ground conductor? It should. If yes, then you can cut the plug off of the hood, and wire it to the romex. Nothing wrong with that.

If you do that, I would use some insulated butt splices, tape around each individual butt splice, and then also tape around the whole thing. If you offset the butt splices so they don't lay against each other, it will come out a little cleaner, at least with a smaller bulge where the splices are.

The romex does have hot, neutral, and ground. This was my first thought but after googling it, a lot of people say that is a no no. I can't really see what it would hurt, but I am not an electrician.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I would put in an outlet and plug into it. In the future when it's time to switch out the hood the next person will have plug and play. You dont need a dedicated circuit. The hood wont pull that much. Unless u have a commercial unit which would not have a plug end.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would put in an outlet and plug into it. In the future when it's time to switch out the hood the next person will have plug and play.

This.

Its my understanding that anything wire-nutted must be in a box, not just hanging out where if it fails it could arc and start a fire. Cut in an outlet box and you are GTG.

Dedicated circuits for range hoods are news to me though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Correct ^^^^

Either put in a box with a plug, and be done. Or, put in a box, cut off the range plug, and put all the wire-nut connections in the box (with strain relief). May as well do it as "right" as possible, either way.

Personally, I'd do the box and plug. Easy.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The romex does have hot, neutral, and ground. This was my first thought but after googling it, a lot of people say that is a no no. I can't really see what it would hurt, but I am not an electrician.

I just called a buddy of mine. State licensed home inspector for Indiana. He said put in an electrical box where the whip comes out of the wall. You can use a surface mount box, does not have to be recessed. Use a mono-outlet, ie one outlet in the box. That qualifies as a dedicated circuit, you do NOT need to have a separate circuit breaker. That will bring you into code compliance, and then you will not void the warranty on the range hood by cutting off the plug.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I just called a buddy of mine. State licensed home inspector for Indiana. He said put in an electrical box where the whip comes out of the wall. You can use a surface mount box, does not have to be recessed. Use a mono-outlet, ie one outlet in the box. That qualifies as a dedicated circuit, you do NOT need to have a separate circuit breaker. That will bring you into code compliance, and then you will not void the warranty on the range hood by cutting off the plug.

Thanks you. Tried to rep, but I need to spread it around some more.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

A box with a plug will be fine. is there a cabinet above? All connections need to be in a enclosure. You could also just remove the prewired whip, and wire in your hardwire.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    A box with a plug will be fine. is there a cabinet above? All connections need to be in a enclosure. You could also just remove the prewired whip, and wire in your hardwire.

There is no cabinet above the hood, and I thought about removing the whip and had wiring it, but the connections are small clips that would have to solder onto the romex I guess. and that'd be more work than just putting in a box. I should have done a little more homework before buying this hood I think, but it goes perfectly with my cabinets and island.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure the one I bought had a panel that popped off and screw terminals inside. I do know it's hard wired with no outlet and no separate box. Just the romex hanging out of a hole in the wall.

Top Bottom