• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Tuesday night is Daddy/Daughter night for us, she has an activity and afterwards we always go to dinner. She's 10, 5th grade, reads at a high school level, and is in a 6th grade math class with scores consistently over 100% I'm very proud of that but yesterday was a little different. After dinner we went to Starbucks to show my appreciation for them honoring 2A rights where I OC'd which is something I don't do often. After we enjoyed our drinks and left I explained to her what that was about and she says to me, "Daddy, why would people be opposed to guns?" I told her some people are just afraid, most are just very misinformed and others just want to force their own views on everyone else. I also told her people have this misconception that guns just randomly jump out of people's hands run down the street and go off all on their own and kill someone. She replied with "that's nonsense, it's not the gun that does that, it's people that do that guns are for protection or fun at the range like you and Mommy like to go do." This came from a 10 year old whom I have yet to take to the range and has never really really expressed an interest (yet) in going with me even when I asked her. I was pretty happy that she had those thoughts all on her own and that the school system hasn't gotten to her talking about how bad guns are. :rockwoot:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Teaching children doesn't always mean what you tell them but how they watch you. Obviously she's keeping a close eye on you and your wife.

By the way I think it's great that you spend a special evening with your daughter. A father's role in a child's life doesn't get the credit it is due.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    2ZEW

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the compliments. I just wanted to share my little tidbit of "there's hope for the future" my wife and I always thought we were doing a decent job, this just reinforced it a little. My son is 3 1/2 and since I picked up an airsoft pistol the other day that's all he wants to do, except ride his dirt bike.

Top Bottom