Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    If you haven't got your bill yet, look it up.

Mine increased by over $5,000 per year! (3 properties)

I have seen people loose their homes due to property taxes in the past, it will be happening again.

EVERYONE NEEDS PRIMARIED AND VOTED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan Co population increased less than 8% in the 20 years from 2002 to 2022, yet VICKIE KIVETT stated in her campaign propaganda mail that they were really focused on the "MUCH NEEDED" Morgan Co Judicial Campus (among other non-truths)

Last time I went through the Annex building, seems that I remember empty space that was not being used.

Names on the sign;

Kenny Hale (I have experienced dishonesty from him personally)
    Bryan Collier
    Don Adams

Chip Keller
    Melissa Greene
    Brian Culp
    Troy Sprinkle
    Kim Merideth
    Vickie Kivett
    Jason Maxwell

Josh Messmer

Curious how much this abomination is costing the taxpayers:

2024-03-05 16.33.22.jpg

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    It has been my personal belief for years that property taxes are immoral.

Think about it this way, if someone saved $100,000 & leaves it in the bank. No interest, not doing anything with it. The state says they are entitled to 1%-3% (or more) of it simply because it is there.

I looked mine up today after a friend called about his as it doubled, inquiring about appealing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If I could choose one tax to abolish it would be the property tax on one’s primary residence.
    FTFY. Taxation is theft. Property tax is theft enforced by the threat of taking what you've already paid for. Which is the very definition of theft. And they'll move you off that property at the point of a gun. Which makes the theft robbery.

It needs to stop. Waste in government needs to be throttled until it squeals for mercy. They are way too free in spending our hard earned dollars.

Last edited:

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    My understanding is that, in Indiana, property tax on your primary residence is capped at 1%. Of course, all you have to do to get around that is increase the assessed value.

I also believe that most property tax is used to fund local education. If that is the case, how about making home schoolers exempt from property tax? While that would not effect me, exempting people who do not have children in public schools would, and I don't have a problem, with that.

I am a little irked that I am forced to pay money to teachers who are engaged in political indoctrination.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Mine’s up 15% this year. In before That Guy comes along to tell me it’s because my property is worth more. That’s bs because it’s only worth what I can sell it for and I only realize that value if I sell it.

Tax cap was a scam. Property owners are nothing but an ATM for the county who knows we have no choice but to pay.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Governor Daniels did in fact make progress on property tax burden. Unfortunately regardless of what percentage of your property's value is taxed when the dollar is devalued at the rate it currently is and therefore your property dollar value rapidly escalates the total tax burden continues to rise.

This is one of my abiding concerns with our current inflation rate, and what is likely coming which will be worse. As high inflation and eventually hyperinflation hits people will lose their homes because they are simply taxed out of them.

The proceeding is the death spiral that country after country has experienced when they have debased their currency as we have. The only winners are those in a position to hold hard assets outside of the nation who can then purchase property with converted devalued currency building enormous power and wealth in the process. With a couple of exceptions that is unlikely to be those of us on this board.

You will note that this scenario destroys one of the common methods of countering inflationary times. The purchasing and holding of real property as hard assets. When those assets are taxed they are never truly yours. And has been proven over and over the government will be more than happy to confiscate your property and sell it to others for that tax burden.

State tax changes are at best Band-Aid to what is currently occurring. The only actual correction reside at the Federal reserve level wherein the dollar is pegged to some tangible thing or things and the inflationary cycle is curtailed.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My assessment on the land was unchanged, the improvements increased 92%.The total assessment is +/-60% higher than the market value. I filed an appeal in April of 2023. It is still sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at. I live in a duplex. I pulled every sale of duplexes in my township from the market period on which the assessment is based. My assessment per square foot is 72% higher than the highest sale. I plan to got down to the Assessor's office next week and politely destroy them by demonstrating their incompetence.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    My assessment on the land was unchanged, the improvements increased 92%.The total assessment is +/-60% higher than the market value. I filed an appeal in April of 2023. It is still sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at. I live in a duplex. I pulled every sale of duplexes in my township from the market period on which the assessment is based. My assessment per square foot is 72% higher than the highest sale. I plan to got down to the Assessor's office next week and politely destroy them by demonstrating their incompetence.

I met a "county" appraiser several years ago, after a short conversation I understood why things were so messed up.

Johnson Co. kind of made a veiled threat when someone called & asking about appealing. They were told by the county something to the effect of be careful, if they appealed the taxes might go up if they have to re-evaluate the property.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I appealed in hendricks county online (yes before the deadline for the given year) over 2 years ago. (Filed one each year).

They finally called me and adjusted my assessment down by like $60k for each of the last 2 years and credited me for the adjusted value (which I sent to the bank holding my mortgage so it could be considered in my escrow calculation ASAP).

Hopefully you get an adjustment, and the retro it.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Governor Daniels did in fact make progress on property tax burden. Unfortunately regardless of what percentage of your property's value is taxed when the dollar is devalued at the rate it currently is and therefore your property dollar value rapidly escalates the total tax burden continues to rise.

This is one of my abiding concerns with our current inflation rate, and what is likely coming which will be worse. As high inflation and eventually hyperinflation hits people will lose their homes because they are simply taxed out of them.

The proceeding is the death spiral that country after country has experienced when they have the based their currency as we have. The only winners are those in a position to hold hard assets outside of the nation who can then purchase property with converted devalued currency building enormous power and wealth in the process. With a couple of exceptions that is unlikely to be those of us on this board.

You will note that this scenario destroys one of the common methods of countering inflationary times. The purchasing and holding of real property as hard assets. When those assets are taxed they are never truly yours. And has been proven over and over the government will be more than happy to confiscate your property and sell it to others for that tax burden.

State tax changes are at best Band-Aid to what is currently occurring. The only actual correction that the Federal reserve level where in the dollar is pegged to some tangible thing or things in the inflationary cycle is curtailed.
    Exactly this. We need to fix the root cause, not go one by one on items impacted by it...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I met a "county" appraiser several years ago, after a short conversation I understood why things were so messed up.

Johnson Co. kind of made a veiled threat when someone called & asking about appealing. They were told by the county something to the effect of be careful, if they appealed the taxes might go up if they have to re-evaluate the property.
    An owner aggrieved by discrimination is entitled to have his assessment reduced to the common level.12 Equal protection is denied if a state does not itself remove the discrimination; it cannot impose upon the person against whom the discrimination is directed the burden of seeking an upward revision of the assessment of other members of the class.13 A corporation whose valuations were accepted by the assessing commission cannot complain that it was taxed disproportionately, as compared with others, if the commission did not act fraudulently.14

The threat could cost them loads of money.

Top Bottom