• edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Project Build: 338 Lapua Remington Model 700 Police

Today I finished putting together my latest project.
    I used a 338 Lapua Remington Model 700 Police

Here's the parts I used to build it, and below is a picture of it.
    Everything just went together without any hassles.

Started With a new Off the shelf purchased 2 weeks ago
    Remington
    Model 700 Police
    Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle
    26" Barrel 338 Lapua with integral Muzzle Brake
    8-40 Scope Mount Screw Holes
    Order No. 25645

Added the following parts:

1. Replaced Stock with,
    H-S Precision Stock, Black
    Adjustable Pull
    Adjustable Cheek Rest
    Part# PST026

2. Harris Bipod Part# LM-S

3. Tactical Intervention Model 1 Sling, Black
    with Quick Cuff

4. Leupold Leupold Mark 4 M1 LR/T, 8.5-25X Scope
    Mil Dot Reticle Part# 54690
    with
    Leupold ALUMINA SERIES LENS SHADE
    Alumina 50mm 4" Part# 52353

5. Badger Ordnance Scope Rail
    Mil-Std-1913 Picatinny
    Remington Long action, 30 MOA cant
    Part # 306-47
    NOTE: Holes are 6-48 and NEED to be 8-40 for the
    Remington 700 Police Model .338 Lapua
    Badger Ordnance will drill the holes to
    8-40 and refinish if you order it from them.
    They got it to me promptly and were good to
    deal with.

6. Badger Ordnance Scope Rings
    USMC DMR
    Height 1.031’’, diameter 30mm.
    Part# 306-28
    NSN 1005-01-521-0922

2011-01-14_16-28-19_764x10.jpg

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like a great build!

What's your thoughts behind the sling. I have a new Savage 10FP that I'm trying to decide what sling to run. Probably put a sling stud mount Harris bipod on it similar to what you are running there.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Looks like a great build!

What's your thoughts behind the sling. I have a new Savage 10FP that I'm trying to decide what sling to run. Probably put a sling stud mount Harris bipod on it similar to what you are running there.

My thoughts on trying the Tactical Interventions sling is I liked the idea of not having to undo the sling from the butt end of the rifle to use in the various shooting positions.
    The idea of just having a separate piece of sling that wraps around my upper arm and just snaps on to the sling looked like it was worth a try.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    nice keep us posted. id defintally build somthing for longer ranges if i had a place to shoot longer ranges

I don't plan to necessarily use it for just shooting longer ranges.
    I got it mainly for the challenge of learning to shoot a powerful rifle.

I've had a Remington Sendero in 300 win mag for some years, and just wanted to step up to the next level.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I like it!!! I was thinking once I became more intuned with my .308 and could ring steel on command the .338 is for sure next. If your not going to shoot long range, why go with the 30 MOA rings? Just because it's the way to go for future use? Is there really that much of an advantage in having them? Just asking for input if I ever get to own one myself. Nice rifle!!!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like it!!! I was thinking once I became more intuned with my .308 and could ring steel on command the .338 is for sure next. If your not going to shoot long range, why go with the 30 MOA rings? Just because it's the way to go for future use? Is there really that much of an advantage in having them? Just asking for input if I ever get to own one myself. Nice rifle!!!
    Hi, I got the 30moa scope base so I'd be set up to do long range when i find a long range to shoot at.
    I'm figuring to start at at the shorter distances that my local ranges offer, and as I get better at shooting this, increase my distance.

When i buy something, I like to consider future eventualities ans spend my money once, as this scope base cost the same as the uncanted ones.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Very nice build. I have a Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag, I know it's not in the same league, and would love to have a PSS in .338 Lapua to go with my .223 and .308 set ups. I really like the rifles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the only down sides to the 30 moa basewould be it might make a short range zero imposible. on your scope you should be fine but it might will be close. and your close range zero will be on the edge of your adjustment and your scope wont be QUITE as clear.

your scope has 75 moa adjustment. so in a perfect world you will be zeroed with 37.5 moa up and down adjustment. also it has 70 moa windage so you would be zeroed @ 35 moa left and right.

add in the 30 moa base and you are zeroed with 7.5 moa up and 70 moa down. as i said you would be fine but somtimes cutting it close screws you

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the only down sides to the 30 moa basewould be it might make a short range zero imposible. on your scope you should be fine but it might will be close. and your close range zero will be on the edge of your adjustment and your scope wont be QUITE as clear.

your scope has 75 moa adjustment. so in a perfect world you will be zeroed with 37.5 moa up and down adjustment. also it has 70 moa windage so you would be zeroed @ 35 moa left and right.

add in the 30 moa base and you are zeroed with 7.5 moa down and 70 moa up. as i said you would be fine but somtimes cutting it close screws you

technically speaking you are wrong... you will actually have 7.5 moa of "up" in the turrets..... you move the reticle "down" to make your bullet impacts go up.

not that anybody didnt know what you meant.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I was thinking that, but was afraid to mention the MOA zero. I don't have that much experience with it, but am trying to learn. 30 MOA is a bunch. Unless I'm way off, you only can take advantage of that if your shooting out beyond 1000 yds, right?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    30 MOA is a bunch. Unless I'm way off, you only can take advantage of that if your shooting out beyond 1000 yds, right?

ya the 75 moa internal would easily get a 338 lapua to 1000. the nice thing about them is that if you do most of your shooting @ 1000 then your zero is closer to the center of your adjustment scale where the scope is the clearest.

30 moa is alot but it all depends on the optic. for instance my nightforce has 100 moa elevation adjustment so in a perfect world i would have 50 moa up and down. take 30 off of that and i still have 20 and 80.

just a ballpark on his 338 lapua setup a 30moa base and that optic should get him to around. 1800yds before he runs out of adjustment. that depends on alot of varibles but 1800 is a ballpark.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom