• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    A friend of mine told me that he was at Cabelas in Columbus Ohio earlier this week. He purchased 2 one lbs jugs of powder along with an assortment of items. As he was going home he realized the bill was high. He stopped ,checked his receipt and saw where that they had charged him $20 Hazmat per jug. He called the store and told him that his receipt was correct, they do charge Hazmat for in store powder purchases. Has a anyone else heard of this?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    A friend of mine told me that he was at Cabelas in Columbus Ohio earlier this week. He purchased 2 one lbs jugs of powder along with an assortment of items. As he was going home he realized the bill was high. He stopped ,checked his receipt and saw where that they had charged him $20 Hazmat per jug. He called the store and told him that his receipt was correct, they do charge Hazmat for in store powder purchases. Has a anyone else heard of this?
    I know they will charge this if you order it online and have it shipped to a store. I bought a pound of powder in November at Hammond and didn't pay this. It may be a new thing they are doing.

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    I'm really more saying that people are insane for being willing to pay $175 for 1,000 CCI 450's. The shop can do whatever they want. I have no reason to return there, however.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Hazmat fee for retail in-store purchase-not special order? No way. That (I always thought) was for shipping. Hopefully someone made a mistake.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My favorite is when you are selling reloading items or ammo for modern prices, same as you paid and you are called a price gouger and offered $30/1000 primers. Someone recently tried to dock me on 9mm ammo. “I’ve paid $10 a box for years, I’ll give you the same.”

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    The place where I get my powder and primers won’t bring them to his shop. Says he doesn’t want the appearance of gouging for his clientele. I totally understand that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The place where I get my powder and primers won’t bring them to his shop. Says he doesn’t want the appearance of gouging for his clientele. I totally understand that.
    All because, as evidenced by this thread, gun folks get all butt hurt when market prices are higher than they think they should be.

Buy from who has the prices you like.

Don't buy from those with prices you don’t like.

STFU about those with prices you don’t like, the market will punish them if they are wrong.

We need all the retailers of 2A we can get. It is ridiculous for us to slam those that supply our hobby…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    All because, as evidenced by this thread, gun folks get all butt hurt when market prices are higher than they think they should be.

Buy from who has the prices you like.

Don't buy from those with prices you don’t like.

STFU about those with prices you don’t like, the market will punish them if they are wrong.

We need all the retailers of 2A we can get. It is ridiculous for us to slam those that supply our hobby…
    Except of Cheaper Than Dirt, they deserve to burn

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I stopped in yesterday, 14-JAN-2022 to survey powder and primer pricing at this store. It was my first visit. They had zero Hodgdon powder of any sort and the proprietor said I should go to Australia to find any. Hodgdon powder is made in bulk in Australia then shipped to the US for packaging. I asked about CCI 450 Magnum small rifle primers and was told they were in stock for approximately $175/1000. I told him he was smoking ganja. The gentlemen replied that they are selling at his store for that price. Wow! What type of idiots buy these? I have enough powder and primers for about a year at home so am not desperate by any means. Has it really come to this?
    First you might want to reconsider your handle. Second, while Hogdon distributes powder from sources all over the globe, some is made here in the US. Thirdly, not sure where you been but your post indicates you have a casual interest in guns and zero knowledge of retail business.

We can put it this way, why don’t you buy up a few million primers and then sell them all to us for $30 a brick?

See you on the range

Trapper

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I haven't been to my lgs for powder or primers in close to two years my buddy and I spent over $1500 just before the rush on primers and powder. Primers were $42 out the door powder was around $35 a lb. I wonder how much it is now if he even has any in stock?

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    Info on Australian manufacture (by ADI) of popular rifle powders for Hodgdon:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if it applies to CCI and Hodgdon or not, but I've heard the manufacturer's say they're prices went up a little due to raw materials costs. I've heard shops say "we've not increased our margins at all". So that leaves the distributors for insane markup. Everyone is pointing at someone else for the gouging. I'd like to know who is getting rich off the lack of supply.

My only complaint about Bobcat is the no-backorder policy. I just want to give him some money up front for what I need (1 brick of primers and 1 jug of powder) and know I'm going to get it eventually. This craziness of who can get there first and buy it when it hits the shelf makes it impossible for some of us.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't know if it applies to CCI and Hodgdon or not, but I've heard the manufacturer's say they're prices went up a little due to raw materials costs. I've heard shops say "we've not increased our margins at all". So that leaves the distributors for insane markup. Everyone is pointing at someone else for the gouging. I'd like to know who is getting rich off the lack of supply.

My only complaint about Bobcat is the no-backorder policy. I just want to give him some money up front for what I need (1 brick of primers and 1 jug of powder) and know I'm going to get it eventually. This craziness of who can get there first and buy it when it hits the shelf makes it impossible for some of us.
    I've never done business with this company. I would think that adding a "backorder" policy would not be beneficial to the business. For one thing, it doesn't take into account the business's cost at the time of sale and during this time of rapid inflation, it would not be prudent. Another consideration for the business is that it creates another level of administration and the costs that go with it. It's tough enough for small businesses to get and keep good employees these days. It would also open up the possibility of more complaints where customers might think that some preferred customers were given preferential treatment and therefore they were not fairly treated in the queue. One other consideration is if the prices are locked down at the point of the backorder and the prices go down, as supply increases, the customers would cancel their backorder, making the whole thing a huge millstone that the business would have undertaken for all loss and no gain.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

What happens when that backorder drags on for months? I'll tell you. People get on social media and forums and drag the dealer that took the pre-orders or they don't show for weeks to close out or the order goes unfilled by a distributor shipment after shipment or prices change drastically before its filled. Pre-orders in this market environment are lose lose for the retailer.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Info on Australian manufacture (by ADI) of popular rifle powders for Hodgdon:

St. Marks Powder is a subsidiary of General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems manufacturing ball propellant in Crawfordville, Florida. The company is a member of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI)
    The facility manufactures over 95 percent of propellants used in United States military small arms ammunition. Similar propellants are sold to commercial manufacturers of rimfire and centerfire ammunition or marketed by Winchester and Hodgdon Powder Company for civilian handloading

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Backorder is still selling next weeks product at yesterday's prices. If the retailer can't even begin to guess what his price will be when the order fills, why would you think he could set a price today that will make him even a small profit

I would point out that huge companies like Midway and Brownells, with far greater resources, are also not allowing backorders

Top Bottom