24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It'll be fine.

When we fully transition to clean, green energy, there won't be enough of it for things like AC and refrigeration.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A/C we survived without... refrigeration is another thing. I like my food not spoiling.

I imagine a world where the Amish store down the road from me will get bigger than Walmart from the impending markup on their line of propane refrigerators.:laugh:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I imagine a world where the Amish store down the road from me will get bigger than Walmart from the impending markup on their line of propane refrigerators.:laugh:

When we are transitioned full-on to green energy, there will be no propane, natural gas and other combustible fuels. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The cost of equipment has been going north at a rapid rate for the last few years as the Alphabet agency's push hard for more efficient systems. The cost of a standard eff. residential system (condenser/evap/furnace) has near doubled or close. This does benefit the homeowner in the long haul but as the costs skyrocket the returns on this are less and less. In this the average homeowner looks at super efficient units looking for payback. Point is, as you reduce your energy use the price of that same energy rises. There is no escape.

The new systems are really very nice in that the comfort levels in the home (if properly installed) are better and easier to control. The outdoor units are very quite by comparison to the older models. But, this comes at a price.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The cost of equipment has been going north at a rapid rate for the last few years as the Alphabet agency's push hard for more efficient systems. The cost of a standard eff. residential system (condenser/evap/furnace) has near doubled or close. This does benefit the homeowner in the long haul but as the costs skyrocket the returns on this are less and less. In this the average homeowner looks at super efficient units looking for payback. Point is, as you reduce your energy use the price of that same energy rises. There is no escape.

The new systems are really very nice in that the comfort levels in the home (if properly installed) are better and easier to control. The outdoor units are very quite by comparison to the older models. But, this comes at a price.

And the first major part to go out on those ultra-efficient units, there’s goes your savings from utilities.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have always been intrigued by a electric generator run by a wood gasification engine
    wouldn't that annoy them?

Yep...

[video=youtube;a6e3CprVTi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6e3CprVTi8[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yep...

[video=youtube;a6e3CprVTi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6e3CprVTi8[/video]

If you could make it to burn free electric company tree trimming wood chips that would be great.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As far as refrigerants (at least in the appliance and automotive realms), this stuff has been coming down the pipe for a long time and being primarily driven out of Europe. Regardless of legislation, we were eventually going to follow the leader anyhow as the new refrigerants become the most popular options on a global scale. That said, I bought a couple of cases of 134A a year or two ago just to keep in stock for the days when the bans eventual come down.

Just to chuck it out there as you guys are thinking of semi-realistic alternative energy... Absorption cooling requires a heat source, but it doesn't care where the heat comes from. You could very easily make yourself up a wood fired water heater that has a heat exchanger leg on it to run a fridge. The hard part would be the control system to turn the heat off so you don't overpressure the system, and that wouldn't be that hard.

This seems like an excellent way to utilize the waste heat from a still... but if you insist on brisket instead. ;)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    As far as refrigerants (at least in the appliance and automotive realms), this stuff has been coming down the pipe for a long time and being primarily driven out of Europe. Regardless of legislation, we were eventually going to follow the leader anyhow as the new refrigerants become the most popular options on a global scale. That said, I bought a couple of cases of 134A a year or two ago just to keep in stock for the days when the bans eventual come down.

Just to chuck it out there as you guys are thinking of semi-realistic alternative energy... Absorption cooling requires a heat source, but it doesn't care where the heat comes from. You could very easily make yourself up a wood fired water heater that has a heat exchanger leg on it to run a fridge. The hard part would be the control system to turn the heat off so you don't overpressure the system, and that wouldn't be that hard.

This seems like an excellent way to utilize the waste heat from a still... but if you insist on brisket instead. ;)

Yep. Several are going to 1234yf. R134 will eventually go the way of r12.

Top Bottom