• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    If your land is heavily wooded, your twine and flags will be ruined in a season or two. My Dad had our family property (heavy woods) completely re-fenced with barbwire/t-posts in 2000. It is in shambles 22 years later from all the fallen limbs taking out the fence.

I am an advocate for the purple paint. Saves money and carries the weight of law.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    We bought a few acres on the local river to camp and canoe from. There is a steep bank about 10 feet tall above the lower beach. The Vermillion river is considered a navigable river so the lower beach is public domain to the "normal high water mark." I built steps down the steep bank for our access and even though people can legally be on the lower beach once they start up the stairs they are trespassing. Thing is people want to use our steps and then cross our property with canoes and kayaks.
    Most people that do use the river have realized that is not going to work so stay off our property. Directly across the river there is no legal problem taking out there but it is a steeper climb. Also about 75 yards downstream is another place the public can use that is almost as good as using our steps so it is not like they have to go miles out of their way.
    Talked to a Sheriff's deputy about this and he told me about the purple paint. I already had several signs up but he told me with the purple paint people won't be able to say they did not see the sign. Went by once and had to stop because the place looked like a parking lot, IIRC six vehicles were getting parked for their trip. When I told them they could not park on the property they parked on the other side of the river. Wasn't there when the finished their trip but someone had torn the sign off the steps and threw it away then made a mess dragging all their stuff across our property. Jim.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Purple paint is the way to go. The first rung of our front gate is painted purple. Then we painted the top of every 3rd post purple.

on the back 40 where we back up to state land I have several WARNING ENTERING LIVE FIRE RANGE DANGER. That seems to get the point across to most people besides the LGD’S make very clear unknowns are not welcome.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Purple paint is the way to go. The first rung of our front gate is painted purple. Then we painted the top of every 3rd post purple.

on the back 40 where we back up to state land I have several WARNING ENTERING LIVE FIRE RANGE DANGER. That seems to get the point across to most people besides the LGD’S make very clear unknowns are not welcome.
    Is it safe to assume purple carries the weight of the law in Tennessee?
    I'm bordered on 3 sides by Big South Fork fed land and nervously await my first deer season and dealing with those challenged by "No Trespassing" signs.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Purple paint with some signage sprinkled in may be my best bet.

Thoughts on running twine / orange flags?
    No point in it.
    People will not only respect it less, it will actually challenge them more. Or pique their curiosity to see what you’re hiding.
    Purples the law.
    Just like around here.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    There is a mile of little eagle creek wooded from road to road behind our farm, very common to see the wife/girlfriend dropping a hunter off with instructions to be back at the opposite bridge at a certain time.
    You pretty much new if they were being dropped they didn’t have permission. Everyone has a story though.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    There is a mile of little eagle creek wooded from road to road behind our farm, very common to see the wife/girlfriend dropping a hunter off with instructions to be back at the opposite bridge at a certain time.
    You pretty much new if they were being dropped they didn’t have permission. Everyone has a story though.
    Yeah the old well so and so gave us life long permission to hunt here.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah the old well so and so gave us life long permission to hunt here.
    Show me the written agreement that I signed at closing on that.
    I bought 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. Took a bit to convince extended family that it was mine to hunt. Only mine. I don't drive 250 miles to hunt and sit next to someone or watch them drive their quad all over.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Show me the written agreement that I signed at closing on that.
    I bought 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. Took a bit to convince extended family that it was mine to hunt. Only mine. I don't drive 250 miles to hunt and sit next to someone or watch them drive their quad all over.
    Exactly, much worse when it’s family.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Purple paint with some signage sprinkled in may be my best bet.

Thoughts on running twine / orange flags?
    That orange twine will look real cool in the squirrel and bird nests after the deer tear it down. I have about 4 signs in the woods for years now on fiberglass posts I had. I never knew about the purple paint. I had flags from when I had the utilities located and they lasted probably 5 years in the woods where I was marking where I planted daffodils along the path.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    That orange twine will look real cool in the squirrel and bird nests after the deer tear it down. I have about 4 signs in the woods for years now on fiberglass posts I had. I never knew about the purple paint. I had flags from when I had the utilities located and they lasted probably 5 years in the woods where I was marking where I planted daffodils along the path.
    The purple paint law went into effect July 1 2018, just fyi.
    Relatively new.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You may find that neighbors will trespass as readily as people just wandering around looking for a place to drop into. I hope you don`t have that nightmare scenario, but be prepared. Also, Indiana is not a real bulldog on enforcing no trespass laws. Even if you can get a Sheriff`s Deputy or Conservation Officer there to deal with it, if they don`t see the trespasser in person, they can`t do anything about it. Best of luck.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have learned a little bit about this recently. We have property with a little creek, non-navigable, through our property. The previous owners must have never ran people off because our first year we had a lot of trespassing. We have signs and purple paint. As stated earlier, that will only keep honest people out. I have cell cameras throughout the property so we know quickly when someone is there. We have warned people when we catch them. The second time I call the law. I learned that in Indiana trespassers have to be officially warned before anything can happen. When I caught a repeat trespasser, I called the Conservation Officer. I had pictures trail pics of the guy, I took pictures of his car and plate. The CO then took him the official warning. The next time the trespassers can be arrested. At that point it is up to the prosecuter as to what happens. I also did learn that if you catch someone in person, take pictures or video. If you can photograph the trespassers committing any game or fish violation, mushrooming, hunting, fishing, etc then they can be arrested without warning.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have learned a little bit about this recently. We have property with a little creek, non-navigable, through our property. The previous owners must have never ran people off because our first year we had a lot of trespassing. We have signs and purple paint. As stated earlier, that will only keep honest people out. I have cell cameras throughout the property so we know quickly when someone is there. We have warned people when we catch them. The second time I call the law. I learned that in Indiana trespassers have to be officially warned before anything can happen. When I caught a repeat trespasser, I called the Conservation Officer. I had pictures trail pics of the guy, I took pictures of his car and plate. The CO then took him the official warning. The next time the trespassers can be arrested. At that point it is up to the prosecuter as to what happens. I also did learn that if you catch someone in person, take pictures or video. If you can photograph the trespassers committing any game or fish violation, mushrooming, hunting, fishing, etc then they can be arrested without warning.
    I've found that most people don't know about the rules concerning navigable/non navigable. I've got a creek that runs under the road and we get some people going down there once in awhile. I usually walk over and just let them know that someone does own it and is watching it. As long as they're polite (which they've always been) I tell them to enjoy and leave it like they found it. I haven't had any problems yet thankfully. I'd be a heck of a lot more protective if it were hunting ground though.

Top Bottom