• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    To be honest, I almost posted in Marvin's ad just to be a butt after reading that
    But it got your attention. It must not be too off putting. 2 items sold and the third deal is in progress.

So the rest don't have to go look here is my ad header:

marvin02 said:
    Note: Any reply to this thread by anyone other than the original poster or a forum mod constitutes a contract to purchase the item at ten (10) times the posted price, at a time and location specified by the seller. In other words - use the conversation system with ANY questions or comments. Do not post that you have sent a PM, just send the PM (conversation).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To be honest, I almost posted in Marvin's ad just to be a butt after reading that. Something like "Im here commenting but I aint buying. So go ahead, sue me." just to prove a point. :):

But I decided to let politeness win and kept moving.

(And I didnt want my pee pee slapped by the mods for breaking an actual rule :whistle:)

Nice rifle, btw. Too bad Ive already got too many of those. LOL
    Oh Puleeeeese do that.........:lmfao:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can lock and unlock it for a while - I just don't know how long that function is available. My concern is that many do not mark their ads when the item sells and a lock showing on the thread may lead people to believe the item is gone.
    Your bump will let buyers know that your thread is active.

Pro tip - Save that bump for different times of the day to get different eyes seeing your add. Same or especially with the weekend. Thursday evening, Friday morning, very important, as are Sat/Sun different times of day, sometimes according to weather, events, etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wish we would stop the whole "PM" sent thing. You can not get a lock on or mark your territory. I hate it and it bumps the ad back up.

In this we have had an onslaught of new buyers intent on getting everything for nothing so they can flip it elsewhere. We catch this all the time. The tone between seller and buyer has become a bit more adversarial in some instances. But the majority still hold true to our values.
    The sellers are (As Marvin stated) just setting up a barrier against the stupid.
    Agreed, the whole "PM sent" thing just reeks of marking territory. Drives me nuts and messes up when the classified owner can bump his ad.

I personally think the classified rules should be amended to not allow anyone besides the classified ad owner to post in the ad (most posting there is against the rules, but doesn't seem "PM sent" is technically against the rules from what I can tell).

That said the classifieds here are overall outstanding, due to INGO being a community first.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Your bump will let buyers know that your thread is active.
    Actually it doesn't - someone reading the forum only sees the number of replies and the lock, unless they keep track of the number of replies they don't know if the ad has been bumped or not or when it was locked.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just posted three ads for guns in the last couple of days.

I try to be very clear about the items I'm selling and the terms I will sell them under. I don't want to waste my time or a potential buyers time by being vague. If it comes off as terse or rude that's not my intention.

I hate when folks post "PM sent" and then PM a low ball offer. I feel that they are trying to give the impression that the item is sold (or a deal is in the works) so they can drive the price down.

I sell items that I find no longer useful to me or to fund something else that I want more than the stuff I'm selling. I'm not a business, just a person fairly new to gun ownership navigating my way through this interesting world and meeting some interesting people.

If you don't like the tone or wording of a classified post just move on.

My experience with the folks I have met through the classifieds has been positive.
    That is a nice rifle. I've never owned a 10/22 (Blasphemy, I know) and never felt drawn to them, but admit I checked out the ad a couple of times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed, the whole "PM sent" thing just reeks of marking territory. Drives me nuts and messes up when the classified owner can bump his ad.

I personally think the classified rules should be amended to not allow anyone besides the classified ad owner to post in the ad (most posting there is against the rules, but doesn't seem "PM sent" is technically against the rules from what I can tell).

That said the classifieds here are overall outstanding, due to INGO being a community first.
    In reality it is not allowed but the old guard did and so it carry's over.
    I could give 2 :poop:s you sent me a PM./ I can see my PM's.
    Yup, then you get some stupid trade you did not want or a low ball offer.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In reality it is not allowed but the old guard did and so it carry's over.
    I could give 2 you sent me a PM./ I can see my PM's.
    Yup, then you get some stupid trade you did not want or a low ball offer.
    Yes, its an old guard thing that I picked up back when as well. That said, I only do so if accepting the seller's terms as posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I only do so if accepting the seller's terms as posted.
    I could deal with a "terms accepted as stated" post - but there are often details to work out. In my case I travel for work and sometimes the timing doesn't mesh for a meet even if I am passing through a potential buyer/seller's area. "PM sent" is just too vague and is basically meaningless.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Actually it doesn't - someone reading the forum only sees the number of replies and the lock, unless they keep track of the number of replies they don't know if the ad has been bumped or not or when it was locked.
    People watching the adds, as they do, will know when your add comes to the top of the page.

But hey, you do you, my friend. :ingo:

If you are gonna sell at less than what the market values your product at, you can likely get away with being a dick? :)
    No one goes to Walmart (or Kroger) for the good service. ;)

I don't want to **** anyone off. Everyone is a potential buyer. The last few things I have sold (for crazy insane market pricing) have been to seldom posters.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I could deal with a "terms accepted as stated" post - but there are often details to work out. In my case I travel for work and sometimes the timing doesn't mesh for a meet even if I am passing through a potential buyer/seller's area. "PM sent" is just too vague and is basically meaningless.
    I take it for granted that this means appearing local to the seller.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of related annoyances, on the Facebooks, when somebody inquires about needing work done, etc. and somebody says "I'm interested. DM me". Hey dip:poop:, why dont YOU get off your virtual butt and DM THEM!? If you were really that interested, you would take the 20 seconds to send them a DM and connect. The "phone" works both ways, as they used to say.
    /threadjack

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Speaking of related annoyances, on the Facebooks, when somebody inquires about needing work done, etc. and somebody says "I'm interested. DM me". Hey dip:poop:, why dont YOU get off your virtual butt and DM THEM!? If you were really that interested, you would take the 20 seconds to send them a DM and connect. The "phone" works both ways, as they used to say.
    /threadjack

I am not on F***book, but it sounds like some lazy ******* wants to give the impression of looking for work while doing his best to avoid work.

Same bull**** goes on in "real life".

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    To be honest, I almost posted in Marvin's ad just to be a butt after reading that. Something like "Im here commenting but I aint buying. So go ahead, sue me." just to prove a point. :):

But I decided to let politeness win and kept moving.

(And I didnt want my pee pee slapped by the mods for breaking an actual rule :whistle:)

Nice rifle, btw. Too bad Ive already got too many of those. LOL
    I ALMOST did because he said mods could......

But I didn't want to start something or break a rule.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I wish we would stop the whole "PM" sent thing. You can not get a lock on or mark your territory. I hate it and it bumps the ad back up.

In this we have had an onslaught of new buyers intent on getting everything for nothing so they can flip it elsewhere. We catch this all the time. The tone between seller and buyer has become a bit more adversarial in some instances. But the majority still hold true to our values.
    The sellers are (As Marvin stated) just setting up a barrier against the stupid.
    Not being sarcastic but I do not understand the purpose of responding pm sent? Was the intent to make others think the item was no longer available?

Guessing the correct thing would be to actually respond in a pm…. I have interest in you so and so can you tell me more about it etc?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not being sarcastic but I do not understand the purpose of responding pm sent? Was the intent to make others think the item was no longer available?

Guessing the correct thing would be to actually respond in a pm…. I have interest in you so and so can you tell me more about it etc?
    Thats my point it makes no sense other than to make it look like its yours.

And those "2nds" and 3rds ad bumps.....come on kids. Stop it, Please.

Top Bottom