• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    They're ramped and making all they can, buying and in stalling new ability to make more isn't something you decide to do today and it happens sudden;y tomorrow just by plugging a new ammo making machine in and turning it on.

It takes a fair bit of time to up production beyond max by adding new capacity. It's capital purchases we're talking here and those sorts of things aren't just done to make our lives better during what should be a short term increase in demand.

How this ends is we calm down and let it. If they ARE forced to make capital purchases, prices won't be going down until those machines are paid for in full. The LAST thing we should ask for is for them to be buying new property and setting up new facilities.

^This, except I believe long-term demand probably will be higher than it was before so some permanent increase in manufacturing infrastructure and capacity probably will ensue.

I just wouldn't expect them to invest hugely in infrastructure to increase production two-fold for what is likely an artificially high demand due to short-term supply issues.

As for price, I suspect that's going up regardless of demand as the value of the dollar declines.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    is THAT what you think is casing this? They don't WANT to make enough ammo or ramp things up?

They're ramped and making all they can, buying and in stalling new ability to make more isn't something you decide to do today and it happens sudden;y tomorrow just by plugging a new ammo making machine in and turning it on.

It takes a fair bit of time to up production beyond max by adding new capacity. It's capital purchases we're talking here and those sorts of things aren't just done to make our lives better during what should be a short term increase in demand.

How this ends is we calm down and let it. If they ARE forced to make capital purchases, prices won't be going down until those machines are paid for in full. The LAST thing we should ask for is for them to be buying new property and setting up new facilities.

(Before I begin, I apologize for the typos. I usually try to catch the most egregious ones:): )

I understand about the decisions surrounding the purchase of machinery and equipment, expanding/renovating facilities, etc...I've been involved in it, at one level or another, for 29 years. That is why, in that brief comment, I purposefully used the terms "at some point". I realize ammunition manufacturers will not make an investment unless they believe there's been a market shift to support it. I fully realize there are many other aspects that go into these decisions but I'm not in a mood to write a paper to support a comment one just throws out there in casual conversation on an Internet forum.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I had to pull the plug on hosting a definsive pistol class because it isnt worth paying all that money for ammo plus the cost of the class. Got to draw the line at some point. I herd of some instructers are lowering the round count needed but still makes it very hard to afford for most average folks.

I hear you on this, i'm not doing any training either as I don't want to use up my stash and i'm not going to pay the current prices when I may need up to 800 rounds on top of the class fees and other expenditures.

Top Bottom