We just received a box of 1000 .223 recently..... :D

We ordered it over a year ago.... :(

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Ammo is the easiest way to control guns.

Maybe I said that before?

If even the Po-po can''t get the ammo needed, then there is something going on behind the scenes and it doesn't take a tinfoil hat to see it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My agency ordered 600 rounds of black hills 175 .308 for a class I have coming up. They did the order in November. They called last week and said 400 rounds was all they could ship because they can't get powder. The chief said to ship the 400 and we would try to find the rest some place else or cancel my class. They called back 20 minutes later and said they located some and are sending 700 rounds for the price of 600 for causing the hassle!! Got the order a few days later. Talk about customer service. Black hills match has always been just as accurate as federal gmm and alot cheaper. Plus you just pick up the phone and call black hills, talk to a person and place your order. No middle man jacking up the price.

The key for agencies to have ammo is to plan ahead.....way ahead.

*** 3/27/13 -Correction guys...after reviewing my Black Hills order they gave us two (2) boxes of 40 rounds total instead of 100 as I wrote earlier.Even so kudos to Black Hills for being a stand up company. Facts always seem to get mixed up going from one person to the other.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    One of the guys I work with has a brother on one of the local departments. He told me most of the small local are really having a hard time finding enough ammo to qualify, let alone having some for practice. Also told me that the dept's ammo budgets are in bad shape due to increased costs for what they can find.

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Our local Sheriff has been in every week for the last 3 months looking to trade his Mini-14s for ARs and to buy any applicable ammo we have. He hasn't been able to buy anything yet.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I received an email from Sheriff Campbell:

All:

If you are not aware, ammunition is hard to find.

If you have not purchased it yet, you need to start looking.

There are gun shows this week end in Muncie and Greenfield I believe.

Ammo is plentiful at Gun Shows, but not so much as Wal Mart, Gun Shops, etc.

Ammo prices are still high as 9mm costs about $25 per box.

Start looking now!

Ken

This pertains to the upcoming Defensive Handgun Class in April. I planned way ahead! :D

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had to pull the plug on hosting a definsive pistol class because it isnt worth paying all that money for ammo plus the cost of the class. Got to draw the line at some point. I herd of some instructers are lowering the round count needed but still makes it very hard to afford for most average folks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I realize why manufacturers are reluctant to expand production capacity. But you gotta think with at some point their has to be a business case to ramp it up some.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I realize why manufacturers are reluctant to expand production capacity. But you gotta think with at some point their has to be a business case to ramp it up some.

is THAT what you think is casing this? They don't WANT to make enough ammo or ramp things up?

They're ramped and making all they can, buying and in stalling new ability to make more isn't something you decide to do today and it happens sudden;y tomorrow just by plugging a new ammo making machine in and turning it on.

It takes a fair bit of time to up production beyond max by adding new capacity. It's capital purchases we're talking here and those sorts of things aren't just done to make our lives better during what should be a short term increase in demand.

How this ends is we calm down and let it. If they ARE forced to make capital purchases, prices won't be going down until those machines are paid for in full. The LAST thing we should ask for is for them to be buying new property and setting up new facilities.

as for the Feds buying it up, I believe I said more than once it is easier to control ammo that to control guns by legislation.
    we are doing their jobs by acting the way we are, buying this and that all the time every time we see it whether or not we need it.
    ammo prices aren't going back to "normal" in any case as they never do after a run like this, they go down sure but not back to "normal".

So be prepared to pay more for ammo after things slow up, the sooner we allow it to slow up though, the lower the price will become as history has shown up.

Top Bottom