• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have copper pipe coming into the house with a plastic valve attached via polybutylene pipe. If I put PEX pipe onto this copper pipe to install a ball valve instead-would PEX pipe work in this case? In other words-is the barbed copper pipe coming in suitable to PEX as well? I have replaced a lot of the pipe in the house so far and this is the main shutoff valve in the house-it's old and needs replaced-leaks in the shutoff position and doesn't get the water all the way shut off.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yuck. When I want plumbing I get out the blowtorch, but I grew up with copper. I had a main valve like that; replaced it with a ball valve. Well worth the price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lots of sand paper.....clean copper.....proper fittings also sanded clean.....proper solder...proper flux...propane or map gas torch. Have at it.
    Do a ball vale and forget it.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    What would I do after soldering in the ball valve-I have to connect to the polybutylene pipe at some point unless I want to replace a very long line

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I am also a member of the "Brotherhood of the 1/4 Turn Ball Valve".
    At one time they were making cute little ball valves to use at sink faucets and toilets but I haven't seent those for a while.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

You can do it without soldering, just get the right fittings. Cleanliness of the copper is critical whether using slip fit or solder. I got my stuff at Menards. I cut in a whole house filter and a water softener using predominantly the compression style pex fittings but did use a couple of the slip fit style to transition. Been there for two years now without a single leak and that 1/4 turn ball valve beats the crap out of that cheap **** they install when they build houses.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

You can do it without soldering, just get the right fittings. Cleanliness of the copper is critical whether using slip fit or solder. I got my stuff at Menards. I cut in a whole house filter and a water softener using predominantly the compression style pex fittings but did use a couple of the slip fit style to transition. Been there for two years now without a single leak and that 1/4 turn ball valve beats the crap out of that cheap **** they install when they build houses.

This ^^^^^^^^^

The slip fit are more expensive but much more user friendly when fixing wet pipes.
    Clean and debur your pipe before fitting together or you can gouge your o-ring.
    They are also nice as they have the ability to be taken apart easily if you ever need to.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    This ^^^^^^^^^

The slip fit are more expensive but much more user friendly when fixing wet pipes.
    Clean and debur your pipe before fitting together or you can gouge your o-ring.
    They are also nice as they have the ability to be taken apart easily if you ever need to.

I laughed way to hard when I read this... My mind is in the gutter today.

Top Bottom