• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    As the title suggests, I'm planning to meet with the superintendent of my local school corporration (Mishawaka Public Schools). My plan is to talk with him about carry of firearms on school property and/or within the building. Also, I'm going to seek permission to carry.

I currently have 4 children that attend the elementary school right down the street. Oftentimes we can and will walk to or from school (weather permitting) and having permission to carry would make things easier for mysel (and anyone else in the city) that lawfully carries.

I'm reaching out to the members here for the best route to follow and talking points to present.

I have the board meeting schedule as well as contact info for the Super.

Any and all help is appreciated.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    the best route to follow

Start at the bottom.

You show up at a public school board meeting, raise your hand and ask to carry your gun on school property the answer will be NO.

Talk to one or two of your kids teachers who you have a good relationship with. They will be able to tell you about the school politics and give you good advice on who to talk to and how to approach them as well as who to avoid and how to get around them. Keep in mind your kids teachers will likely be your character references because if anyone is going to approve you to carry they are going to ask the teachers that know you if you are a good guy or a bad guy.

Then with their advice work your way up the chain. First you convince the teachers, then you convince the principal and likely the school security officer. With their approval in hand then work with the Superintendent or if you find he is an idiot get a champion for your cause on the school board.

Keep in mind all the approvals in the world cannot preempt state law so be sure to talk to your Legal Eagle and don't just rely on a Hall Pass signed by a teacher.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Currently, I have very good working relationships with the teachers and the principal so I have that one covered.

My plan was to meet with the Super and discuss proposing a policy for the board to vote on.

There is relevant IC that states "with permission" a person is legal to carry on property.

Indiana Code 35-47-9

Good idea talking to principal or teachers about the politics.

<runs off to email the principal about a sit down discussion >

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Having that relationship is key. I would suggest two things: 1. present the training courses you have attended and encourage him to check them out; and 2. give him a level of comfort in knowing, if he allows it, you will not make it public knowledge. Sometimes those in leadership do not mind giving authorization, but the last thing they want is someone telling the world and placing them in a very difficult spot.

Oh yeah, and for your own protection, get his consent in writing.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Having that relationship is key. I would suggest two things: 1. present the training courses you have attended and encourage him to check them out; and 2. give him a level of comfort in knowing, if he allows it, you will not make it public knowledge. Sometimes those in leadership do not mind giving authorization, but the last thing they want is someone telling the world and placing them in a very difficult spot.

I was actually considering seeking blanket permission for anyone with a Larry not just myself. Hoping to have the school board adopt a policy granting permission. Then it would be public knowledge. (or do you believe I might be better off seeking personal permission first, then blanket permission? Baby steps kinda thing)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Reminds me of a saying back in the early days of I.T., you never get fired for choosing IBM. Meaning even if the project fails if it was IBM than you went with the safe bet. The safe bet here is to say no. If anything happens related to a firearm the school official just signed his own pink slip. As for a blank approval for anyone with a firearm, just review some of the threads on INGO for 1500 and LGS about so called safe firearm handling.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Reminds me of a saying back in the early days of I.T., you never get fired for choosing IBM. Meaning even if the project fails if it was IBM than you went with the safe bet. The safe bet here is to say no. If anything happens related to a firearm the school official just signed his own pink slip. As for a blank approval for anyone with a firearm, just review some of the threads on INGO for 1500 and LGS about so called safe firearm handling.

I was actually considering seeking blanket permission for anyone with a Larry not just myself. Hoping to have the school board adopt a policy granting permission. Then it would be public knowledge. (or do you believe I might be better off seeking personal permission first, then blanket permission? Baby steps kinda thing)

DEFINITELY. Baby steps. They are more likely to approve someone they know and trust before they let EVERYONE do it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I tend to agree with the baby steps thing. I would think they would be a bit more open to a test-case than swinging the door open for all. This is an emotional issue for a lot of people. In fact, if this were brought out for discussion in an open meeting, I can't help but believe the question would go crashing down to defeat.

Good luck to you though. I hope you're successful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I wouldn't even bring up carry for "all". Even the thought that it might expand beyond a controlled list could be enough to turn them off.

I would also voluntarily add a sunset for your permission. Make it for a month after your youngest's graduation date. That way there is no question that you ONLY want this for your kids careers. You don't want to be able to carry whenever even after you have a real reason to.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Good luck! Keep us posted on this.

I do predict this will go the way of least possible negative career impact for the school administrator. "permission denied". But I hope you have better luck withit!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Good luck! Keep us posted on this.

I do predict this will go the way of least possible negative career impact for the school administrator. "permission denied". But I hope you have better luck withit!

According to IC the permission must come from the school board and not just the Superintendent. I'll have to get the particulars on submitting a proposal and having it voted on.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

^^^^^^^ What Que said ^^^^^^

Top Bottom