• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But then they couldn't upcharge you for the extra seasonings. Some marketing genius thought that up I'm sure... :rolleyes:
    I actually suspect that was just a ruse to mask the change in the dough. And make a little extra on top. We noticed the change but thought it was because of the flavorings and we just didnt know what the "original" one was. And none of the servers we asked could tell us what one to choose to get the old taste back.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This was when they still made fresh dough and did not serve frozen factory made dough like today. Lot of oil and fresh dough, mmmm…

Pan dough was always frozen, at least at franchise/Pepsi Co owned restaurants. One pump of oil for a medium, two pumps for a large. Toss in the dough puck, let proof.

Hand tossed and thin was made fresh at the store, as was stuff crust when that became a thing. I think Bigfoot pizzas were fresh, too, but we didn't sell that many and I may be wrong on that one. Bigfoots looked like a good deal because they were so large, but the unadvertised catch was the sauce, cheese, and toppings were spread real thin so you were mostly just getting more crust.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Pan dough was always frozen, at least at franchise/Pepsi Co owned restaurants. One pump of oil for a medium, two pumps for a large. Toss in the dough puck, let proof.

Hand tossed and thin was made fresh at the store, as was stuff crust when that became a thing. I think Bigfoot pizzas were fresh, too, but we didn't sell that many and I may be wrong on that one. Bigfoots looked like a good deal because they were so large, but the unadvertised catch was the sauce, cheese, and toppings were spread real thin so you were mostly just getting more crust.
    Not so for the franchise operator that owned much of north Indiana, based in fort wayne. They made theirs fresh best I knew. They were also the last PH operation to serve fresh yeast breadsticks…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not so for the franchise operator that owned much of north Indiana, based in fort wayne. They made theirs fresh best I knew. They were also the last PH operation to serve fresh yeast breadsticks…

Independent franchisees had options, I'm sure. Frachise owned stores operated as stated. Franchise owned used frozen breadsticks as well. It was actually a good time to work for franchise owned, as Pepsi Co still owned the franchise and you got Pepsi Co benefits even if you worked part time. At 17 and 18 I had my own health insurance, accumulated paid time off, etc. I left for the military before Yum! bought them out, I would assume that changed a lot of things.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Independent franchisees had options, I'm sure. Frachise owned stores operated as stated. Franchise owned used frozen breadsticks as well. It was actually a good time to work for franchise owned, as Pepsi Co still owned the franchise and you got Pepsi Co benefits even if you worked part time. At 17 and 18 I had my own health insurance, accumulated paid time off, etc. I left for the military before Yum! bought them out, I would assume that changed a lot of things.
    Keep in mind, we are talking completely different era’s. I was eating Pizza Hut before Pepsico bought them and before the pan was even introduced, Yum is like yesterday compared to that.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    IMO, only Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is "really good" pizza (although plenty of pizza is "good enough"). So I drive to Giordano's or Lou Malnati's. And the Greenwood Giordano's just closed, so now I have to drive all the way to downtown Indy (> 3 hours round trip).

They closed???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have to be 18 to be a food delivery driver by law. Combine the insurance costs of a teenager and a car used for delivery and you'll see why delivery drivers tend to be significantly older than high school kids, and have been for decades. Now it's competing with the gig economy where you only work when there's an order, vs standing around at minimum wage folding boxes on slow days. Or at least that was the case when I worked for Pizza Hut while in high school. I could do everything but deliver and run the dough machine, which OSHA considered hazardous. You can use stoves, ovens, deep friers, knives, etc. but apparently it's just too dangerous to be around a giant rotating metal hook moving 50 lbs of wet dough in a big open bowl... It actually was a pretty strong machine and it wouldn't even notice breaking your arm if you reached down in the bowl for some reason. Like you thought you ought to scrape down the sides while it's moving. You'd have to be an idiot to do that, but, well, no shortage.
    Last sentence covers it.

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    Local Ma & Pa joints never fail us. Domino's/Little Caesar's etc. on the other hand... Always SOMETHING. Most times DoorDash drivers are waiting 20 mins for the pizza places to get their **** together.

I know everyone is short handed, my work is short handed, my vendors are short handed. It's a big **** show everywhere.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Must be a bunch of lousy tippers out there or everyone would want to do it.

Minimum wage 1972 $1.60
    Minimum wage 2022 $7.25
    Should be closer to $11 accounting for the devaluation of the currency.
    Seems like most places can't get away with minimum wage anymore. At least not judging by the numerous Help-Wanted (starting at $10++) I see.

Top Bottom