Pistol sold only to anyone having a LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    ALCON,

Is it required to have a LTCH to buy a pistol from a private individual or dealer in Indiana? From What I have read in the IC and on here the answer is no. But I see members selling pistols but requiring the purchaser to have a LTCH. Is this a CYA thing?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    the answer is no, it is a CYA thing for private sales. I suggest a receipt to CYA with the buyers info and gun info on it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, CYA. The LTCH makes it easy to validate they are a "proper person". Takes the guesswork out of it. The law does not require ANY paperwork for private sales. Bills of sale, receipts, LTCH, whatever, are up to the individual selling.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    It just dont seem right to put upon someone more than the state requires, because you really dont need it for CYA. A bill of sale containing all the weapon info is enough for that. This site promotes 2nd Amendment rights but this just feels like a imposed restriction by individuals making it up as they go along.....just dont seem right on here.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Mrs. Gungho is right. It is not required by law. That said I can require ANYTHING of you or else not sell it to you... Heck I could say " I won't sell it to you unless you have a monkey for an avatar" - but then JetGirl and Spazmodicus would get all of the cool guns... :D

In reality, it's just a way to assure the buyer that you are a "proper person" and that they can sell you their handgun legally. It helps to demonstrate that you are legal to own the gun. So yeah it's CYA, but it's not unreasonable if they don't know you.

I support the free rights of the market. If they eliminate a group of potential buyers by requiring an LTCH, then that's their right - and it HURTS their price, if anything... Buy it from someone that DOESN'T require it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It just dont seem right to put upon someone more than the state requires, because you really dont need it for CYA. A bill of sale containing all the weapon info is enough for that. This site promotes 2nd Amendment rights but this just feels like a imposed restriction by individuals making it up as they go along.....just dont seem right on here.
    So how do you plan to establish that the person you are selling the gun to is not a felon or other disqualified person? Asking for the LTCH gives the seller some assurance that the buyer is legally allowed to buy a gun and would constitute 'proper person' in the eyes of the Indiana laws. Without that, or without a background check, if you are selling a gun to a stranger how do you propose to establish them as a proper person?

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I guess it is two fold, an easy way to make them feel more comfortable, ie if I sold a gun to someone and it was used in a crime I would feel bad regardless of a BoS. I alsobet they would've OKmeeteting at an FFL and doing a transfer.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    So how do you plan to establish that the person you are selling the gun to is not a felon or other disqualified person? Asking for the LTCH gives the seller some assurance that the buyer is legally allowed to buy a gun and would constitute 'proper person' in the eyes of the Indiana laws. Without that, or without a background check, if you are selling a gun to a stranger how do you propose to establish them as a proper person?
    Like this.

"You a felon or somebody else that legally can't own a gun?"

I don't have an LTCH and I own handguns (legally! whoa!) so it seems fair to give somebody else the same benefit of the doubt. Unless they come down wanting to trade the gun for a baggie of crack rocks, they're probably alright.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I generally don't believe the word of a stranger.

You give me your word that you'll pay my legal fees if I mistakenly sell to an improper person, Orange?

Depending on what part of the state it happens in, some prosecuting attorneys have no problem dragging someone over the coals at the expense of the tax payers.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Stop whining and crying about the terms under which someone freely decides to sell their own private property. No one's forcing you to buy anything. Works both ways.

Come to think of it, I'm going to require the buyer of the next gun I make available on INGO to sing the Star Spangled Banner first, all 4 verses; just because.

I mean, how many felons can do that!? If that's not proof of proper person-hood, I don't know what is. ;)

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've not responded to a couple of ads on here in the handgun for-sales for that very reason. But, as mentioned, it's their right to ask for what they want to see upon sale of their property.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Really as of right now owning a handgun in Indiana without a permit is really just asking for trouble. You cannot legally take it offyourproperty to shoot it. And if you bought it from a private party and have it in your vehicle I believe it is all ready illegal.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I fill out a proof of sale template i have made with the serial number of the firearm, both buyer/seller name and signature, date and statement of "no felony conviction" just to cover myself. Sometimes i even put a pic of the firearm on it. I don't require an LTCH.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    And if you bought it from a private party and have it in your vehicle I believe it is all ready illegal.
    Not if you just purchased it and are on the way to your place of residence. Same as if purchased from a FFL. (Get a bill of sale and contact information from the seller if you want.)
    As of July 1st, I will be able to secure my handguns and take them to a range... legally in the eyes of the state of Indiana.

Cheers

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The law does not require the seller to know that the buyer is a proper person. The law only requires that the seller does not know, or have reason to believe, that the buyer is not prohibited from possessing firearms. As the seller, if I don't know that you cannot own guns, then I am legal. BTW, for all of you that do ask for a LTCH, how do you know that it is valid? How would you know that it wasn't revoked or forged? For me, a simple bill of sale signed by the buyer would be sufficient.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I've always asked for I.D. and an LTCH when selling firearms and I always get a receipt with gun info and signature.

I'm not that worried about covering my ass, but I've always done this and have never had any problems.

As others have mentioned, I would disagree with the state implementing a statute requiring this - but I don't at all disagree with the private market setting its own standard...

Besides, as far as I am concerned, it reflects positively on us as we are being proactive the best way we can in ensuring that "good guys" are buying from and selling to other "good guys." That's not to say there aren't a lot of "good guys" without an LTCH, or that there aren't some "bad guys" that have gotten one... But it's an extra level of assurance.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    is there even a burden of proof for an individual to make sure the buyer is a "proper person"? I dont think there is. heres my requirements; at least 18, not a felon, and an indiana resident. i'll ask you and take your word on it. im a regular guy, not a cop. it doesnt take much on my end to be covered. individuals have no right to ask even for ID. just like I dont have to show it or fill out a bill of sale. I can just walk away.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    LTCH gives no assurance. A little pink piece of paper can be produced by anyone with a printer and the mindset to do so.

Generally I ask questions along the lines of "are you a resident of Indiana?" and "is there any reason why you can't own a handgun?" I'm no worse off than looking at or copying down information of falsified documents and fake IDs.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's true that a pink piece of paper can be forged. People do the same thing with driver's licenses and other forms of ID. Short of running a background check (and those sometimes have mistakes in them), you really can't be 100% sure.

However, that does not mean that asking for a LTCH, ID, providing a receipt, etc. are worthless. These things could represent what a reasonable person might do during such a transaction and could serve to bolster your argument that you exercised due care in the course of the transaction if you were ever called on it.

Given that, I'm not aware of anyone who has ever been called on it. Maybe some of the legal types around here could share some relevant case law with us (if any exists on this subject).

I'll not begrudge anyone for selling their stuff however they want, nor anyone for refusing to buy it.

Top Bottom