• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I know several manufacturers are offering guns in pink now, like the Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, and Taurus all have models in pink.

Clearly a way to market to women... But I'm curious what women in the shooting community think about this marketing strategy. Is a pink gun desirable?

Or does it make you feel like they are saying 'women don't know how to pick based on any other criteria, so if we make them pink...'

I was just curious. Any women on the board have an opinion one way or the other on pink guns?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know Spasmo goes out of her way to at least look at the pink ones. I do not believe it would be a primary criteria, but I believe it would be an influencing factor in her purchase.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The number one feature for me in a gun is the fit. I have had a .40 cal Smith & Wesson, which was my first purchase. I didn't know any better. I ended up selling it and purchasing a Glock 26. I love everything about it but the grip/fit. It is slightly larger than it should be and when I mean grip, I mean the part from the back of the grip to the trigger. I'm sure this probably has a technical name.

Now, I like looking at colored guns. Even though I would never own one, I think the Neos guns were really cool because they had different colors on them. I have looked at the pink Taurus but I don't like the grip on them. Once again, it doesn't fit my hand. I am however interested in the pink P22. Not necessarily because it fits my hand but because I think it would get my daughter to shoot it. I wouldn't carry it because it's only a .22.

If there were more firearms in different colors, you may get more women to carry them. That may or may not be a good idea. The problem with the colors is that it would draw attention to the firearm and is probably not such a great idea. I would not open carry though. That is just not me.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Pink guns were the only reason I even decided guns were not scary. That whole "Evil Black Rifle" phenomenon exists for a reason. Black has long symbolized evil, dark, scary things. Guns are black, therefore guns are scary. Pink, on the other hand, has long symbolized everything sweet and innocent. Coating a gun pink makes it less scary.

Short story:
    When I was brand new to guns and we were still trying to decide which one was the best for me, we went to Gander Mountain just to check out their selection (and because they had the pink Taurus Millennium Pro). W9ZEB was looking at a few different pistols, and asked the clerk if he could see one in that case over there. The clerk said, "Just don't say the pink one." W9ZEB said, "Actually, that's the one she wants." The clerk responded back, "You can't shoot that! You'd have to shoot the guy in the kneecaps twice just to prove you were serious! What's intimidating about a pink gun??" I smiled and said, "Exactly my point. If the guy on the business end isn't scared of a pink gun, I'm certainly not going to be scared of holding it."

Thank God for that Millennium. I never did get one (I discovered SIGs instead), but the fact that it came in pink certainly made guns less scary for me. They were suddenly approachable.

Not every woman thinks the way I do (in fact most probably don't), but I'll bet you having guns in a "girly" color turned more heads that normally would have either been afraid of the evil black guns or just weren't interested because black or stainless guns are boy toys.

Where have you seen an SIG Mosquito in pink that wasn't customized post-production?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter started shooting a Ruger 10/22 with a "pretty" brown laminated stock. She didn't think the gun looked scary because the wood was pretty. On the other hand she thought some of my rifles looked scary because they were black.

Now she has 2 rifles of her own, she doesn't think either is scary. Both are obviously PINK.

On a similar note, I also have AR15/M4 furniture in BRITE BLUE and in SHOCKING YELLOW.

1-5.jpg

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Those rifles rock. How old is your daughter? When do you think you'll start her in on handguns? Is there a pink P22 (or whatever) in her future? :)

I have a niece (6) that my brother and I hope takes some interest in guns and shooting. I know she's only 6, so there's lots of time. And if she's not interested, she's not interested. Right now she knows the Eddie Eagle rules, and we've talked to her about the "four rules" a bit just to introduce them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Those rifles rock. How old is your daughter? When do you think you'll start her in on handguns? Is there a pink P22 (or whatever) in her future? :)

I have a niece (6) that my brother and I hope takes some interest in guns and shooting. I know she's only 6, so there's lots of time. And if she's not interested, she's not interested. Right now she knows the Eddie Eagle rules, and we've talked to her about the "four rules" a bit just to introduce them.

My daughter is turning 14 soon. She already shoots handguns, she favors my HiPower because it has such a modest recoil, not sure if I will buy her a pink handgun, but Gander Mountain sells a pretty nifty pink polymer Taurus semi-auto in 32, 380 and 9mm.
    1-mel-rest-small.jpg

I see nothing wrong with colored guns. Who of us is really a tactical ninja anyway? If I shoot someone with my bright yellow 6.5 Grendel AR15 they will probably fall over despite the fact that the gun is not all black. Ditto if I shoot someone with my bright blue 9mm AR carbine. Out at the public ranges people love the colored guns. In my back yard range it really doesn't matter, but it sure helps me tell which gun is which since I have so many that are 'color coded' :twocents:

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Melensdad, if you choose to try out one of the Pink Taurus'. I bought my wife the 9mm.
    I would be happy to meet youat a range somhere and let you or whomever is interested in a personal physical review o the Taurus.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    There is one of these in the back of the gun safe, held in reserve for my middle daughter (she is 6):

pink_crickett.jpg

I took so much pain from my wife over this rifle that we are not to speak about it again for some time. But, I won, cause it is still in the house. :rockwoot:

BTW: my daughter wanted it BECAUSE it is pink!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is one of these in the back of the gun safe, held in reserve for my middle daughter (she is 6):

pink_crickett.jpg

I took so much pain from my wife over this rifle that we are not to speak about it again for some time. But, I won, cause it is still in the house. :rockwoot:

BTW: my daughter wanted it BECAUSE it is pink!

My 9-year old has one. She's a pretty decent shot with it, too.

Top Bottom