• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Jan 7th at 00:30am local time. Will only invade Eastern Ukraine. Objectives met in less than 72 hours. Putin nominates himself for a peace prize after he frees the oppressed Donbas peoples.

idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    I reckon it won't happen. Too much risk for Putin and the reward is too low (and in all likelihood problematic going forward).
    The West orchestrated the Maidan revolution in '14, and Putin did use that as an attempt to topple the new government by the annexation of Crimea and by supplying the self-proclaimed newly formed states in the East of Ukraine with tanks (at least 35, possibly 100+) and other resources.

If he wanted to get Ukraine, he could've already annexed the Eastern territories.
    They present zero problems in terms of integration since people there dream about this.
    This would've also ended the war, since Ukraine wouldn't dare attack Russia.
    This would be a huge boost to his rating.

However, the West would impose further sanctions which would affect Putin and his buddies.

So I guess on the balance they've decided that it's not worth it.

armac6

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Interesting theory since the "empire" has invaded and destroyed several middle east countries, killed millions of innocents and flooded Europe and the US with millions of "refugees" in the last 20 years alone.

idkfa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    Meanwhile, Kazakhstan asking Russia for help and safety.
    This is yet another place that Russia definitely does not need. Muslim fundamentalism and extreme nationalism are rampant, especially in the South.
    Russia has enough of that happening as it is (Chechnya and Dagestan in the South, Tatarstan smack in the middle).
    At most, Russia may facilitate the breakdown of the country and try to ensure it doesn't gravitate to China.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I reckon it won't happen. Too much risk for Putin and the reward is too low (and in all likelihood problematic going forward).
    The West orchestrated the Maidan revolution in '14, and Putin did use that as an attempt to topple the new government by the annexation of Crimea and by supplying the self-proclaimed newly formed states in the East of Ukraine with tanks (at least 35, possibly 100+) and other resources.

If he wanted to get Ukraine, he could've already annexed the Eastern territories.
    They present zero problems in terms of integration since people there dream about this.
    This would've also ended the war, since Ukraine wouldn't dare attack Russia.
    This would be a huge boost to his rating.

However, the West would impose further sanctions which would affect Putin and his buddies.

So I guess on the balance they've decided that it's not worth it.

I have two questions.

What current sanctions affect Putin and his buddies?

What further sanctions would affect Putin and his buddies?

idkfa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    I have two questions.

What current sanctions affect Putin and his buddies?

What further sanctions would affect Putin and his buddies?
    Current:
    E.g.,
    Sanctions imposed on seven individuals and 17 companies linked to President Vladimir Putin. Restrictions placed on Russia’s import of U.S. goods deemed to contribute to its military capabilities.

Future:
    E.g., excluding Russia from the SWIFT system.

On the other hand, one may argue they all belong to one big club (especially given that Putin does have ties to Davos and, e.g., at the moment Russia is marching in lockstep with the West insofar as the 'rona is concerned), and sanctions don't matter.
    Or at least they shouldn't be taken at a face value.
    But then again, there's a chance that these "club members" are simply in a spitting match with each other over something that we are not privy to.
    Either way, it has nothing to do with national security on either end.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I most often read these sanctioms as nothing more than gestures. I sometimes wonder if Putin and his ***wipes do the same.

idkfa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    I most often read these sanctioms as nothing more than gestures. I sometimes wonder if Putin and his ***wipes do the same.
    A cursory search reveals that, for example,
    ... as a result of the sanctions, Vekselberg's fortune fell by $ 3 billion - from $ 16.4 billion to $ 13.5 billion (as of July 26).

Russian export shrunk dramatically as well between 2014 and 2016, and only recovered in 2021.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Meanwhile, Kazakhstan asking Russia for help and safety.

Top Bottom