• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    p90x is a great at home work out. But you will need a decent amount of space for some of the cardio options.
    Personally I attend the YMCA at the Athenaeum 5 days a week. 25 minutes on a treadmill which I loathe and will be changing out for running outdoors weather permitting. Then on to lifting.
    Mondays = chest x 120 reps of 4 different exercises
    Tuesdays = biceps " " " "
    Wednesdays = triceps " " " "
    Thusdays = back and shoulders " " " "
    Fridays = legs " " " "
    I throw in lifts from other days in between the 4 different lifts for the muscle group of the day.

As someone whose weight lifting has pretty much been limited to 12 ounce curls would you mind listing your exercises, weights and sets?

I have been reading a bunch on the web but everyone seems to have a different idea of how it should be done and what is best. Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I Crossfit 5 days a week. It is a kick in the rear for sure. I have been doing this for about 5 months now and have dropped about 5% of my body fat. I am 36, 6'2" and around 222lbs at 13% body fat. I started off at 227lbs and 19% body fat. After 10yrs of conventional 3 days a week of lifting/running...I was bored to tears. I have done more to get fit in the last 5 months than I have in the last 5 yrs. No more diet pills, no more slow metabolism. I would like to get to 10% body fat, that is my goal. Heck, I'm back to playing soccer again...last time was in High School. I cannot talk more highly of Crossfit. I am luck to have access to one 6 days a week in our training academy, free of charge.
    Indy Shield CrossFit
    Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

I would absolutely LOVE a program like this. But there's nothing even close to where I live. :noway:

Is this also a confessional thread?

Because I need one.

Hi, I'm Indy_Guy_77, and I'm fat. Not just a little overweight... I'm fat. If you've met me, it's not going to make me sad if you agree.

When I graduated college, iirc, I was between 6'3" - 4", and around 230lbs. This was too big then.

And I've gotten heavier every year since graduation. Sadly, this hasn't included getting any taller.

So, now, I'm 32 years old and on President's Day, at the Dr's office, I weighed in at 278. .5 Of course, this was fully dressed in tennis shoes, jeans, hoodie...+ J-frame + wallet + keys + knife... Might as well call it 275.

The result of this doctor visit was that he wanted to run several blood tests. I figured as much.

I can (And have) compensated for a lot of things externally... But a fasting blood test RARELY lies.

The results of the blood tests aren't fully known to me (haven't seen the results on paper yet)... But what I do know isn't good.

Change is needed. Or I'm going to die. Early and pitifully.

In addition to being fat, I was diagnosed with low-level hypertension. Slightly hypo-thyroidic, too. (have known about being hypo for years, though...) I can only imagine that my triglycerides are (still) very high. (they've been elevated for 3-4 years now)

So, now, I'm on an ACE inhibitor + thyroid meds.

Doc also wanted more tests run based off of these initial. Just this morning I had an A1c test this morning...as well as another lipids test.

The results of this test will pretty much determine whether or not I have Diabetes. At 32.

And I've done it to myself. Curse you, Dr. Pepper....

So, after getting word the middle of last week that the dr. thinks I might be diabetic... Things have changed. No more morning soda. No more soda at all, really. I had a diet pepsi today, though... I hate diet soda. :noway:

I've been watchful of my carb intake....ordering mixed veggies at a restaurant vs. mashed potatoes...

I'm not binging and gorging myself on sugary snacks. (Wouldn't you know that I found out my sugar situation the day AFTER I'd just bought 4 boxes of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies?).

I've also begun to re-shape the gym-going habit. For a lot of months, the Cardinal Fitness in Greenwood counted me as "profit".

So, if I AM diabetic... I will control it. It's not going to be easy. I'm not going to like it much as I have a serious sweet-tooth and a lack of self-control (which put me in this boat..)

My goals for 2010? Lose weight and get fitness back.

Right now, if I had to rate my cardio fitness level from 1 to 10... Maybe a 2.5. It's never been great....but it's downright sucked the last two years.

I don't know if I have any specific weight goals in mind or not... We don't even have a scale at the house.

But I know that I NEED to lose weight. And to eat better. OR, as I said earlier, I'm going to die. And that sucks.

Thanks for "listening"... And thank you for the support that I know I'll get.

-J-

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I have a doctor's appointment this Friday with a general practitioner in the afternoon so I can get clearance to start working out, lightly. I've only been this excited for a doctor's visit one other time. Look out, moobs... you might be leaving me sooner rather than later.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I would absolutely LOVE a program like this. But there's nothing even close to where I live. :noway:

Is this also a confessional thread?

Because I need one.

Hi, I'm Indy_Guy_77, and I'm fat. Not just a little overweight... I'm fat. If you've met me, it's not going to make me sad if you agree.

When I graduated college, iirc, I was between 6'3" - 4", and around 230lbs. This was too big then.

And I've gotten heavier every year since graduation. Sadly, this hasn't included getting any taller.

So, now, I'm 32 years old and on President's Day, at the Dr's office, I weighed in at 278. .5 Of course, this was fully dressed in tennis shoes, jeans, hoodie...+ J-frame + wallet + keys + knife... Might as well call it 275.

The result of this doctor visit was that he wanted to run several blood tests. I figured as much.

I can (And have) compensated for a lot of things externally... But a fasting blood test RARELY lies.

The results of the blood tests aren't fully known to me (haven't seen the results on paper yet)... But what I do know isn't good.

Change is needed. Or I'm going to die. Early and pitifully.

In addition to being fat, I was diagnosed with low-level hypertension. Slightly hypo-thyroidic, too. (have known about being hypo for years, though...) I can only imagine that my triglycerides are (still) very high. (they've been elevated for 3-4 years now)

So, now, I'm on an ACE inhibitor + thyroid meds.

Doc also wanted more tests run based off of these initial. Just this morning I had an A1c test this morning...as well as another lipids test.

The results of this test will pretty much determine whether or not I have Diabetes. At 32.

And I've done it to myself. Curse you, Dr. Pepper....

So, after getting word the middle of last week that the dr. thinks I might be diabetic... Things have changed. No more morning soda. No more soda at all, really. I had a diet pepsi today, though... I hate diet soda. :noway:

I've been watchful of my carb intake....ordering mixed veggies at a restaurant vs. mashed potatoes...

I'm not binging and gorging myself on sugary snacks. (Wouldn't you know that I found out my sugar situation the day AFTER I'd just bought 4 boxes of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies?).

I've also begun to re-shape the gym-going habit. For a lot of months, the Cardinal Fitness in Greenwood counted me as "profit".

So, if I AM diabetic... I will control it. It's not going to be easy. I'm not going to like it much as I have a serious sweet-tooth and a lack of self-control (which put me in this boat..)

My goals for 2010? Lose weight and get fitness back.

Right now, if I had to rate my cardio fitness level from 1 to 10... Maybe a 2.5. It's never been great....but it's downright sucked the last two years.

I don't know if I have any specific weight goals in mind or not... We don't even have a scale at the house.

But I know that I NEED to lose weight. And to eat better. OR, as I said earlier, I'm going to die. And that sucks.

Thanks for "listening"... And thank you for the support that I know I'll get.

-J-

It's too bad you don't live closer because I'm experiencing almost the same thing. Going to the gym with a buddy almost makes things easier.

I'll be going in this Friday for bloodwork, stress test and a few other things. I weight about the same now as what you did when you graduated college... only, I'm 5'10" ish and not 6'3". :n00b: They think a couple of things. 1. I might be diabetic or pre-diabetic. I've been fat pretty much my whole life except for maybe a year in high school when I tried to be vegan. :rolleyes:

My parents aren't fat. My dad is pre-diabetic and so is my grandpa. Neither of them have actual full blown type II diabetes. I'm headed down that same path only, I'm 29 now and they were diagnosed in their late 50's and 60's. :n00b:

Start with smallish goals. Going to the doctor is definitely a step in the right direction. I'm terrified of going to the doctor even before all of my major stuff this past year.

Get a pedometer. It keeps track of limited movement.

The lovely wife and I are joining a gym. Her employer pays for most of the cost for us to go. I should check with the insurance to see if they cover anything.

My biggest problem is that I am always hungry and I'm HUNGRIEST late at night. Going to bed early might solve that but man, I just feel ravenously hungry at night.

Hang in there, brother!

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Caddywhompus and I are starting to work out again in a week or so. The plan for this time is to do more running and PT. I've been dieting and trying to lose weight. Over the last 6-7 months, I've gone from 280 lbs. to 210 lbs. I'd like to get down to 180-190 lbs. But also I'd like to add more muscle to my body. My plan is to do the Navy SEAls workout I did in highschool several years ago. Phase 1 is 9 weeks long conisting of running 6 miles/week at the beginning to 16 miles/week by the end of Phase 1. It also includes doing pushups, situps, and pullups; 180 pushups/week at the beginning to 540/week at the end, 240 situps/week at the beginning to 540/week at the end, and 27 pullups/week at the beginning and 90/week at the end. It seems like a lot to do but when it's split up M/W/F etc. It's not too bad. Also, I plan on adding in some workouts from crossfit.com to add in more weight training and more cardio.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I started going to the gym last month. I finally realized that being 25 and on high blood pressure medicine is not a good thing. ANd it will only get worse with time unless I do something about it. I been going to the gym 3 nights a week. Just taking baby steps. I always do atleast 30 minutes of cardio. Right now I am more worried about fat loss right now and not muscle. But I do do some sort of weights every night.Plus my goal is I wanna be a police officer and you gotta be in shape to get hired and make it through the acadamy. My goal weight lost is to go from 316 lbs to atleast 225. I think I can do it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    the key is just getting started, even if it's just cutting out crappy food and start walking.

me a couple of years ago after paying attention to what I ate and riding a bike.

beforeafterx.jpg

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I am on my 5th week of p90x , I cut out all the crap , haven't had a fast food burger and fries in 5 weeks , changed my diet and feel great. I highly recommend the program I really only need to loose about 15 lbs mainly wanted to get in shape .This program will kick your ass .

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I am on my 5th week of p90x , I cut out all the crap , haven't had a fast food burger and fries in 5 weeks , changed my diet and feel great. I highly recommend the program I really only need to loose about 15 lbs mainly wanted to get in shape .This program will kick your ass .

Hell ya, and good work. I did a full 90 days last year and lost 50lbs in the 90 days. P90X is insane if you follow it. I'm trying to do another phase now but we aren't taking the diet serious enough so results are slow. We need to kick it in gear all the way and really kill it. I have about 60 more pounds to lose.

Whatever you do, push all the way through it and don't stop. If you break the cycle it's hard to get back. Keep it up and your results will be insane!:rockwoot:

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I am not following their nutrition as far as recipes they use , I am just eating alot more sensably , alot of fish and chicken and salads.Sundays are my day to go to bw3's and eat some wings and a couple of beers but other than that I cut out all the crap.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I do p90x as well and it really does kick your a** into shape, also run 9-15 miles a week. Currently doing a lot of softball training though, since it is that time of year :):

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I did Atkins for a bit last year, about 30 days in I was drained energy wise.

I will say it did work though.

I am now down 18lbs. I have modified Atkins to my liking and I have added a free day each week.
    My appetite has been suppressed and my portion sizes are now much smaller. I still eat something, (string cheese, cashews, pickles etc.) every couple of hours though to keep my digestive system fired up.
    Pretty easy to maintain so far. I just need more exercise.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have allready droped 6 pounds by just getting active and watching what I eat and I lost them in less then a week.

Pretty soon I am going to start hitting it hard, I have the official Air Force Pararescue/CCT work out book........... I will hate life doing it but it should drop the 40-50 pounds that I need to drop. Hope to put a little bit of it back on in some muscle.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Between work (unloading trucks for lowe's) and keeping track of what I eat, and how often I eat, I'm down to 190 lbs. Now it's time to start working on making sure I stay this way by continuing to work out and making sure I watch what I eat. Good luck to all with your goals.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I would say that dietary change is the key to weight loss. I don't think it's possible to lose weight purely by exercise. There simply isn't enough time in the day to exercise enough to make up for a 6,000 kCal milk shake.

Exercise + diet change = best chance for success
    Diet change alone = possible success
    Exercise alone = FAIL

That's not entirely true... I'd change it to this

exercise + diet change + adequate sleep = success

exercise alone= possible success

diet change alone = minimal success

That's how it should be... The more healty you eat, the more recovery sleep, and the lengthy duration of your "pain is weakness leaving the body" workouts will be the ultimate chance for success. Now, if you exercise but eat crap all day, you probably won't have the proper energy levels to even finish a workout, but it's better than not working out at all. Diet alone can get you on the right path, but just sitting around and eating healthy while you do nothing is going to get you nowhere slowly...

Top Bottom