• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I understand needing it for a trial, and it doesn't take YEARS to get ballistic evidence for it.

But trials aside, whenever a firearm goes into the system in Indianapolis for ANY reason, EVEN when they have no need for it anymore, it STILL can take years to get it back if ever.
    THAT'S WHAT I MEAN BY THEFT.
    Yeah, that's not reasonable for a PD to do. It shouldn't take years to get a firearm back, once the case disposition is final.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, that's not reasonable for a PD to do. It shouldn't take years to get a firearm back, once the case disposition is final.
    That's what I'm talking about.
    There's people here on INGO who have firearms in the system, and they can't get them back.
    And they aren't evidence in a trial.

For example, say you lawfully kill an attacker in self defense.
    No charges are filed against you, and there is no trial because the perp is dead.
    That firearm you used in self defense should be PROMPTLY returned to you.

It shouldn't take years and a possible lawsuit to get it returned.
    AND I hear that they usually steal the magazine out of if too.

This is just totally unacceptable and there should be legislation to put limits on this abuse of power.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Cost is irrelevant. Reliability and shootability is the only thing that matters. My life and the lives of my loved ones are worth more than any handgun.

One of the stupidest things posted over and over again in gun forums is this concern about an “expensive” gun sitting in a police property room. Really? So that’s what your life is worth? The price of a Taurus?

There is no handgun that costs too much if it saves your life when called upon in a lethal force encounter.

That would be a good point if you assume that a $2500 tricked out 1911 would defend you better than a $300 Tisas.

If you've practiced with your EDC enough to be proficient and know that it's reliable, does an extra $2000 make you more proficient?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That would be a good point if you assume that a $2500 tricked out 1911 would defend you better than a $300 Tisas.

If you've practiced with your EDC enough to be proficient and know that it's reliable, does an extra $2000 make you more proficient?
    I would feel more confident that my Nighthawk is going to go bang on every round in the mag than in the cheapest pistol I could find.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have used a 1911 for 60 plus years so that has always been my carry gun. I carry a Colt or STI Perfict 10 with 6" barrel. They all have been worked on by gunsmiths to give as close as possible the same trigger pull. They were bought before cheaper 1911's came on the market. Today it would cost probably $2000 +/- a bit to replace one of them. They all go bang if the hammer hits a good round. That is what is needed if my life is on the line. Why wouldn't you carry the gun you think shoots the best for you.

HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE AND YOUR FAMILY'S LIFE WORTH???????

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Each person has to make a value judgment on their own. All I am saying is that once you find the platform that works best for you, it is ridiculous to worry about the cost of the platform because it might sit in the property room.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Each person has to make a value judgment on their own. All I am saying is that once you find the platform that works best for you, it is ridiculous to worry about the cost of the platform because it might sit in the property room.
    Yes, each to their own.
    And my hat's off to anybody who can afford to throw away a few $thousand dollars on a pistol they'll likely never see again and not have a single care about being robbed of it. :cool:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

If someone actually shoots their EDC enough to become proficient, the benefits of the "tricked out" 1911 become readily apparent. To the shooters that go through a box or two of ammo a year those benefits are wasted on. Always rember there is no such thing as a fair fight , and if my Staccato is confiscated I will just buy another one the very next day.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yes, each to their own.
    And my hat's off to anybody who can afford to throw away a few $thousand dollars on a pistol they'll likely never see again and not have a single care about being robbed of it. :cool:
    I'm not saying that a $3k+ pistol is necessary. But I have never once, not ever, worried for single second about how much my pistol cost because it might be consfiscated, lost, destroyed, etc. I suppose some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    So in reading some post’s there was mention not wanting to put too much money into an edc. Just wondering others thoughts were on how much you’re willing to spend on your edc. ? Thinking that in the overall scheme of things things cost really would not be a deciding factor? Especially if you amortize the cost over years of service?

Is there an average amount spent is there a cut off when it comes to amount ?
    Honestly that last thing I think about is the price. I read reviews, hold the gun, see if it’s comfortable to me. 95% of my every day carry gun have been Glocks, therefore price wasn’t an issue anyway. My everyday carry gun these days is a Glock 20 10mm. I absolutely love that round.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Worrying about the cost of your carry gun, and carrying a lesser gun just because it is cheaper in case it is confiscated is equivalent to paying for Mercedez-Benz build quality, then driving a Yugo in case you are in an accident and your car is damaged. Either of these completely unreasonable positions may get you injured or killed. Buy something that will get the job done. I recently bought a cheap pistol. It proved it could not do the job. I did not save it for a carry gun. I dumped for the first offer I got.

Top Bottom