• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I throw more than that away on other forms of insurance every year.
    I have to scrape up several thousand dollars every year to pay for insurance too.
    But I see no analogy between that, and having hundreds or even thousands of dollars of my property stolen by the government as a price for exercising a constitutional right.
    Theft is theft.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have to scrape up several thousand dollars every year to pay for insurance too.
    But I see no analogy between that, and having hundreds or even thousands of dollars of my property stolen by the government as a price for exercising a constitutional right.
    Theft is theft.
    You are getting caught up in the cost and missing the value. Sure, it would suck to have the bureaucrats take your gun. Any gun. But, the value is in its use, not in the price you pay.

I don't care if I'm carrying my Shield Plus, if I've used it in a SD situation successfully, the value of that gun would be greater to me than the guns in the safe at home for personal reasons, regardless of what I paid for any of them.

Purchase price is just the price of admission. A gun that I'm afraid to carry is worth less to me than one that rides my hip each day.

trader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2023
    indiana
    So in reading some post’s there was mention not wanting to put too much money into an edc. Just wondering others thoughts were on how much you’re willing to spend on your edc. ? Thinking that in the overall scheme of things things cost really would not be a deciding factor? Especially if you amortize the cost over years of service?

Is there an average amount spent is there a cut off when it comes to amount ?
    well, lot of gun owners like trading them around. kind like last summers g/f. always a new fresh one fresher. edc $300- $400 would catch most of us. an most of us have more than 1 edc, depending on what we are wearing. p365 if you are in a t-shirt. lots of guns if you wear a size too big shirt that doesn't fit like a t-shirt.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You are getting caught up in the cost and missing the value. Sure, it would suck to have the bureaucrats take your gun. Any gun. But, the value is in its use, not in the price you pay.

I don't care if I'm carrying my Shield Plus, if I've used it in a SD situation successfully, the value of that gun would be greater to me than the guns in the safe at home for personal reasons, regardless of what I paid for any of them.

Purchase price is just the price of admission. A gun that I'm afraid to carry is worth less to me than one that rides my hip each day.
    It has too much of a stink of civil forfeiture as a condition of exercising the constitutional and natural right of self defense.

And if it's OK for the 2nd Amendment, should there be civil forfeiture as a condition of exercising our other constitutional rights too?

You're free to not have a problem with this, but I always will.
    We'll just have to disagree.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It has too much of a stink of civil forfeiture as a condition of exercising the constitutional and natural right of self defense.

And if it's OK for the 2nd Amendment, should there be civil forfeiture as a condition of exercising our other constitutional rights too?

No one here doesn’t have a problem with civil forfeiture.

If you carry an inexpensive gun because ‘they’ might take it, then you’re letting ‘them’ win.

Maybe a bit of light purple in there, I’m not sure. I don’t think so though.

It kinda goes back to if you’re not doing anything wrong you don’t have to worry about anything. Which, maybe is not entirely true if you have a ‘good shoot’ case, but you also shouldn’t be away from your gun that long. So it’s not really civil forfeiture either. It’s just the cops neutralizing the situation until they figure out who the bad guy is.

I think it really just boils down to what one can afford, but many of us don’t put much weight into the gun being taken as part of the equation.
    ETA: But if you do that, good for you, it’s your right!

Do we not drive the car we can afford, or do we drive the car that we don’t mind our neighbors banging into and live like that?

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I don't disagree with you, but just don't put the focus on the initial cost. Any forfeiture is wrong. I don't see a difference between my $450 pistol and my $1500 one is all.

If my $450 pistol was used to save my life, it will be my most valuable gun to me. I guess all I'm saying is that whatever they refuse to return is wrong, so I'm not going to carry a cheaper gun than what I shoot best to accommodate their theft.

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    So in reading some post’s there was mention not wanting to put too much money into an edc. Just wondering others thoughts were on how much you’re willing to spend on your edc. ? Thinking that in the overall scheme of things things cost really would not be a deciding factor? Especially if you amortize the cost over years of service?

My edc should not cost more than $500. My reasoning is I don't want to lose the gun being held in evidence room in an unlikely even of me using it in a justifiable self defense.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No one here doesn’t have a problem with civil forfeiture.

If you carry an inexpensive gun because ‘they’ might take it, then you’re letting ‘them’ win.

Maybe a bit of light purple in there, I’m not sure. I don’t think so though.

It kinda goes back to if you’re not doing anything wrong you don’t have to worry about anything. Which, maybe is not entirely true if you have a ‘good shoot’ case, but you also shouldn’t be away from your gun that long. So it’s not really civil forfeiture either. It’s just the cops neutralizing the situation until they figure out who the bad guy is.

I think it really just boils down to what one can afford, but many of us don’t put much weight into the gun being taken as part of the equation.
    ETA: But if you do that, good for you, it’s your right!

Do we not drive the car we can afford, or do we drive the car that we don’t mind our neighbors banging into and live like that?
    I don't see how my carrying the most expensive gun I can scrape together the money for is a "win" for me when it's taken from me and never returned when I've committed no crime?

And if was ACTUALLY "just the cops neutralizing the situation until they figure out who the bad guy is." as you say, I'd have no problem with it, because they'd PROMPTLY return your firearm after it was shown to be a good shooting.

But if you've actually followed this issue here on INGO you'd know that Indianapolis has refused to return firearms swiped from people LONG after they have no reason to hold them.

So it's not true that if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear, as there's people on this forum who've done nothing wrong and can't get their gun back from the city of Indianapolis.

360willys

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend

My thought is simple a decent gun is going to be around $600 or more. Anything cheaper will probably work but it's not as good quality and you get what you pay for in the end.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't see how my carrying the most expensive gun I can scrape together the money for is a "win" for me when it's taken from me and never returned when I've committed no crime?

And if was ACTUALLY "just the cops neutralizing the situation until they figure out who the bad guy is." as you say, I'd have no problem with it, because they'd PROMPTLY return your firearm after it was shown to be a good shooting.

But if you've actually followed this issue here on INGO you'd know that Indianapolis has refused to return firearms swiped from people LONG after they have no reason to hold them.

So it's not true that if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear, as there's people on this forum who've done nothing wrong and can't get their gun back from the city of Indianapolis.
    How many guns were confiscated for too long, as a percentage of all guns that were taken/examined/suspect? How big is this problem?

I get it, one is too many, but is the problem really widespread enough to warrant carrying a less expensive weapon? I say no, you say yes, it’s all good.

I still say your accusation of many of us being ok with civil forfeiture just because we carry a more-than-the-minimum-price gun is bogus.

Top Bottom