• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    China has spy satellites. Do you really think they are getting any real intelligence from a balloon we know is there vs satellite imagery?

Is it possible this is symbolism, grist for domestic propaganda, intentional bait, or some combination of all 3? They had to know we'd notice it. They are long game thinkers. I don't think you have to be tinfoil hat, but there's got to be some intent other than simply intel gathering, which they can do better and less in your face.
    But what Intel can you gather from the sky that you can't gather from orbit?

Signals Intelligence. SIGINT capability is why we didn't retire the U-2 fleet in FY08. 9th Reconnaissance Wing had a Detachment of U-2s at Osan Air Base, ROK. Man they were loud! Nothing worse than having a U-2 wake you up at 0600 on a Saturday with a hangover. Maybe ROKAF F-4s launching early on Saturday morning. Break-break, back from the threadjack. The RQ-4 Global Hawk couldn't do the SIGINT mission at that point... U-2 fleet didn't retire in FY08.

U-2 Dragon Ladies were under Air Combat Command, assigned to the 9th Reconnisonce Wing at Beale AFB, Ca. The FY08 POM (Program Objective Memorandum) came down in early 2006 when I was in Manpower Programs at HQ ACC. The U-2 fleet was programmed to be retired in FY08, but it wasn't because of the SIGINT capabilities. To borrow a Chris Berman line... I remember, because I was there.

Also, Electronics Intelligence (ELINT.) Satellites don't work for that, need air-breathers (or in this case, air floaters) for this mission. How stealthy is stealth? You need ELINT to know that. Can you fly the $2 billion aircraft through there between those Radar stations and not get noticed? ELINT lets you know.

Finally, who in the AF (and I don't mean Air Force) is in this country? Who came across the southern border? The southern border is... well to say it leaks like a sieve is insulting... to sieves. Who is checking in with this thing as it flies over? Not sure if that's Human Intelligence (HUMINT) but satellites can't do that **** either.

All of this reminds me, my bud from USCENTAF Forward at Al Udeid, Qatar back in 2005 is now a muckety-muck civvie in Space Force at what was the Air Force Space Command. I need to text him and ask why they didn't beam the Chi-Com balloon the hell to Area 51 or somewhere ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But what Intel can you gather from the sky that you can't gather from orbit?

Signals Intelligence. SIGINT capability is why we didn't retire the U-2 fleet in FY08. ;)

Could you do the same thing with a commercial aircraft without detection? Signal gathering is just passive, right?

How encrypted, or not encrypted, would "interesting" signals be? We had just transitioned to Sincgars field radios shortly before I ETS'd.

Assumption on my part, but the balloon can "phone home" without being collected? Are we also gaining info on their capabilities by listening in on that transmission, perhaps?

Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    dee8679a25039d662d06f662b9fb6cc6.jpeg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Could you do the same thing with a commercial aircraft without detection? Signal gathering is just passive, right?

How encrypted, or not encrypted, would "interesting" signals be? We had just transitioned to Sincgars field radios shortly before I ETS'd.

Assumption on my part, but the balloon can "phone home" without being collected? Are we also gaining info on their capabilities by listening in on that transmission, perhaps?
    I dunno BBI. A lot of this is outside my lane. It's a balloon, hell it feels like the Air Force was flying balloons when I was active duty it was so long ago.

I do know the commie bastages who sent this balloon ain't our friends. Until we get our hands on what is sucking up whoknowswhatIntel? We don't know what kind of capability Xinnie the Pooh's peeps have. Are they kickin it old school and we don't know what they are gathering up?
    Plus, are you going to assume the Chi-Coms aren't lying like the lying commies always do? They were playing the long game long before we shot the hell out of the redcoats in April 1775.

Good discussion BBI. You off duty tonight? With the (there must be a) full moon tonight I figured you and your team would be busy if you were on the J-O-B. You are in a growth industry... unfortunately.

How much of this is related to the **** we're seeing with the "classified docs in the LOCKED garage next to the Gen 2 Vette in Delaware?"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nothing worse than having a U-2 wake you up at 0600 on a Saturday with a hangover

I don't know.
    I thought trying to get to sleep on the sub when the destroyer boys started calibrating their multifreq sonar was pretty bad. Might as well put a pail over someone's head and smack the pail with a hammer for hours.

Then there was having some 'unfriendly' nations sonar sweeping the oceans for us, was a bit disconcerting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I dunno BBI. A lot of this is outside my lane. It's a balloon, hell it feels like the Air Force was flying balloons when I was active duty it was so long ago.

I do know the commie bastages who sent this balloon ain't our friends. Until we get our hands on what is sucking up whoknowswhatIntel? We don't know what kind of capability Xinnie the Pooh's peeps have. Are they kickin it old school and we don't know what they are gathering up?
    Plus, are you going to assume the Chi-Coms aren't lying like the lying commies always do? They were playing the long game long before we shot the hell out of the redcoats in April 1775.

Good discussion BBI. You off duty tonight? With the (there must be a) full moon tonight I figured you and your team would be busy if you were on the J-O-B. You are in a growth industry... unfortunately.

How much of this is related to the **** we're seeing with the "classified docs in the LOCKED garage next to the Gen 2 Vette in Delaware?"

Yeah, I'm off tonight.

Personally I'm leery of connecting dots just because they are on the same page and I am also not keen on taking things at first glance as truth, but I'm also well out of my league and just asking questions at this point.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    low orbit satellites are orbits less than 1,200 miles above earth (6.33 million feet)
    Various satellites/stations will be as low as 250 miles (1.3 million feet)

So, an item at 70,000 feet is considerably closer, allowing better visual resolution, and better electronic sensitivity.

Now, this might be a totally benign, innocent, scientific situation.
    But.... BUT...
    I would think if I were conducting an experiment and floating equipment over another country, I might be asking my government to talk to their government and work out something to satisfy both that I'm not accidentally starting a war.
    And if I were THIS government and agreed to said experiment, I might let people know, to prevent 'panic', and maybe ask for people to investigate the equipment, to make sure it is what is claimed.

But that's just me.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I gota say i am so sick of the media and even in this forum, that you or those commented that it's a Chinese spy ballon. You guys are no better than the media. WHERE is the proof it's from China..there is none! Media says this and that and then you start to believe what the media says. Get a damn grip and get proof, then you can say what country it's from. Personally, at the moment, with the government not giving closeups of what looks like something with solar panels on the sides similar to a satellite and from them saying it had floated over alaska..it wouldn't surprise me if it was an experiment gone wrong from our own government and they figure it's a good time to panic stupidity to take citizens minds off the real problems thats been hindering us for along time.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    low orbit satellites are orbits less than 1,200 miles above earth (6.33 million feet)
    Various satellites/stations will be as low as 250 miles (1.3 million feet)

So, an item at 70,000 feet is considerably closer, allowing better visual resolution, and better electronic sensitivity.

Now, this might be a totally benign, innocent, scientific situation.
    But.... BUT...
    I would think if I were conducting an experiment and floating equipment over another country, I might be asking my government to talk to their government and work out something to satisfy both that I'm not accidentally starting a war.
    And if I were THIS government and agreed to said experiment, I might let people know, to prevent 'panic', and maybe ask for people to investigate the equipment, to make sure it is what is claimed.

But

Sure the could rig a drone with a hook to drag it down
    There are alot of simple options they could do and thats why at the moment, i don't buy into what the rumors are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    WHERE is the proof it's from China.

China disputed that characterization, calling it a “civilian airship” that blew off course.

Right.
    Why would we call it Chinese?
    After all, the Chinese are calling it Chinese.

Top Bottom