• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am renting a houseboat for my kids and me on Patoka Lake in June. I´ve fished there a few times in the past, but am not really familiar with the lake. So we are going to plan meals for the week. My question....Is there a restaurant on the water or within walking distance of the water? I would love to take them to dinner one night on the lake. I don´t really want to get in the truck to go. I want to leave it parked all week and not hassle with the trailer, either.

Also, has anyone rented a houseboat there? The prices are about half what I´d pay at Dale Hollow or Cumberland and I think the fishing is better at Patoka....at least for me and the way I fish. The boats look nice in the pics, so I´m hopeful the vacation will be spent doing the fun things--fishing, tubing, swimming.... and not worrying about the houseboat´s condition.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There's Benny's, and Finn's. Off water. If hamburgers or pizza is what you need. Think bar food and that's what they have.
    A good steak? Drive into Jasper for Snitzlebank.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in Jasper. You can go out in the middle of the lake and not see the shore. I've seen the little sailboats and kite skiing there. I even camped there. The beach is good. Good place to ski and tube. Be careful. Swim in pairs. A cramp in the water isn't good.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rented a houseboat there for a week. Great time...just be aware that there are spiders on the boat so I'd recommend some spray to keep them at bay. Really, they covered the boat outside as soon as the sun set. Indoors was no issue. Nobody got bit but even so...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I am renting a houseboat for my kids and me on Patoka Lake in June. I´ve fished there a few times in the past, but am not really familiar with the lake. So we are going to plan meals for the week. My question....Is there a restaurant on the water or within walking distance of the water? I would love to take them to dinner one night on the lake. I don´t really want to get in the truck to go. I want to leave it parked all week and not hassle with the trailer, either.

Also, has anyone rented a houseboat there? The prices are about half what I´d pay at Dale Hollow or Cumberland and I think the fishing is better at Patoka....at least for me and the way I fish. The boats look nice in the pics, so I´m hopeful the vacation will be spent doing the fun things--fishing, tubing, swimming.... and not worrying about the houseboat´s condition.
    Rented a cabin there some years back, 1990’s. Patoka Chalets. No sit down restaurants near where we were. Took our own boat, got lost. Dang big lake. We did drive to a town for provisions we intended to stay put also. It may have grown up since then don’t know. Would advise to get a good map of the lake.

Given the time interval I would guess there would be a place on the lake by now, probably was then but we didn’t know about it. Try a google search or even google maps or google earth, bet you can find what you want. Best o luck and have a great time with the young people.

pro tip, you probably already know. 4 inch floating Rapala silver color. Cast from boat to land points in 4ft. water in June. If water temps are in the 70’s.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are no food options on the water unless there are concessions at one of the marina's. The camp store for the Patoka Lake Campground is probably the closest place to buy groceries to the water.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Rented a houseboat there for a week. Great time...just be aware that there are spiders on the boat so I'd recommend some spray to keep them at bay. Really, they covered the boat outside as soon as the sun set. Indoors was no issue. Nobody got bit but even so...
    No thanks.

IMG_0980.jpeg

This photo is actually from patoka lake. I understand completely now

Top Bottom