• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Smith M&P is a truly great pistol, and it is about time!

For decades, Smith & Wesson had the duly deserved reputation for making the finest revolvers and the worst semi-autos. The M&P changed that, finally, and it's great to see that Smith is working to fix the mushy trigger issues. I also hope Smith will introduce a .45 model with a larger capacity magazine--13 vs. the "California ten."

What? You believe that 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson pistols are among the worst?

I have to disagree! The 59XX, 45XX, 10XX, 39XX, are some of the best ever made. Some dislike the double action/single action, but for what they are, they a fine machines.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would 'assume' (you know what that word means, right), that Glock USA might have something to do with it, at a minimum OKing the deal through who ever the distributor is.

I know other companies that have done the same thing in other fields, to get their products into big users who are currently using competitor products. The company will take a loss on the initial investment, but its a win in the long run.

Like when glock has to service all of the THPD guns that blow up ;)

I assumed you would take my question for what it was, as I was really just curious as to whether Glock did that or not. Thanks for the smart remarks.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    ... I also hope Smith will introduce a .45 model with a larger capacity magazine--13 vs. the "California ten."

But they do, and they're 14rd mags to boot!

Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol Magazines

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It does look a little goofy because of the curve at the bottom of the grip, and there is the weird "shelf" on the back of the extension. Doesn't affect anything, you just see a bit of the stainless through the bottom.

Also available in tan for the VTAC owners directly from S&W
    M&P 45 Cal Magazine with Brown Extension 14 RD

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What? You believe that 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson pistols are among the worst?

I have to disagree! The 59XX, 45XX, 10XX, 39XX, are some of the best ever made. Some dislike the double action/single action, but for what they are, they a fine machines.

Okay, you got me... perhaps an over generalization, but Smith was (almost) always way down the totem pole, when it came to making the semi-auto of choice for defense and-or law enforcement. The 1076, for example, was a well-made machine, but it was a boat anchor, terrible for folks with small hands and-or short fingers, and the FBI (wisely) ending up dumping it. If my memory serves (a heroic assumption!) the 1076 superceded the Smith 459 for the FBI, largely due to the 1986 Miami shootout performance.

Anyhoo...the Smith M&P semi-auto is an excellent pistol that may well give Glock a run for its money!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Heh! I gotta stick up for the S&W 3rd gen pistols when necessary!

One of the little known facts that makes them excellent shooting tools is that they have the shortest trigger reset of any conventional double action/single action pistol.

Okay, you got me... perhaps an over generalization, but Smith was (almost) always way down the totem pole, when it came to making the semi-auto of choice for defense and-or law enforcement. The 1076, for example, was a well-made machine, but it was a boat anchor, terrible for folks with small hands and-or short fingers, and the FBI (wisely) ending up dumping it. If my memory serves (a heroic assumption!) the 1076 superceded the Smith 459 for the FBI, largely due to the 1986 Miami shootout performance.

Anyhoo...the Smith M&P semi-auto is an excellent pistol that may well give Glock a run for its money!

Top Bottom