Parents have been wrong for thousands of years; Do not sleep next to your infant

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sometimes. On some issues.

Sometimes Conservatives are at odds with the Constitution too. Those are the battles that make INGO famous. Like 5 minutes ago I posted a poll asking if anyone would vote for martial law. I already got a nibble.

However, parenting isn't an exact science and there are no cut and dry answers. Some say keep the kids in a crib in their own room for safety and to develop independence. Others say keep the baby nearby for bonding, easy monitoring, and safety. I think both sides have good points, and both sides have raised healthy children. I respect both sides.

Just so we're clear, their opinion is valid despite the unconstitutional nature of it. We're not talking about times when they might get it right. I'm talking specifically about the issue in which they want something in direct violation of the Constitution.

Either they do or do not have a valid argument in their efforts to ban guns. Which is it, boys?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just so we're clear, their opinion is valid despite the unconstitutional nature of it. We're not talking about times when they might get it right. I'm talking specifically about the issue in which they want something in direct violation of the Constitution.

Either they do or do not have a valid argument in their efforts to ban guns. Which is it, boys?

No, I believe in making our own choices. When some nanny tries to tell me how to raise my family or what items are too dangerous to keep in my house, it doesn't fly very far with me. Taking people's property from them is always an invalid argument in my opinion. But some people find it to be very valid, for example, every gun controller on this site who believes the 2nd Amendment hinges on a piece of paper, a clean bill of health, and a flawless legal history.

Are people only pissed because I have the nerve to question the experts? :dunno:

It is a little bit ironic that we brought gun ownership into this discussion. Because the experts at the American Association of Pediatrics - the same experts in the OP - are totally anti-gun and don't believe parents should keep them in the home. If you want to know who the real liberals are in this discussion, look a little closer.
    AAP Policy on Gun Ownership
    The American Association of Pediatrics said:
    Research in several US urban areas indicates that a gun stored in the home is associated with a threefold increase in the risk of homicide and a fivefold increase in the risk of suicide. The widely publicized estimates of the number of defensive gun uses in the millions each year are not credible. In fact, guns kept in the home are 43 times more likely to be used to kill someone known to the family than to be used to kill in self-defense.
    So, what say you? The experts have spoken. They've given their statistics and they are wearing the white coats. Question their recommendations and I will troll up your threads with pictures of tinfoil hats. :cool:

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I want to stay on the fence as much as I can here but I have picked up on two things here... An expert is simply a drip that didn't make it and secondly, no insult intended but reading about raising kids is like reading about how to field strip a glock and being handed a 1911. The fundamentals may be there but no one can tell you how to parent your child. Some kids think a time out is the worst thing in the world and just want a spanking to get it over with (my 5 year old being one of these) and some kids will run and hide from a spanking and spend all day in time out than rather even have the threat of a good old fashioned spanking (my 2 year old being the example this time.)

This may open a even larger can of worms but its like saying all pit bulls are death dealers and should be destroyed, or all guns kill people and should be destroyed. Just because something is true in one example doesn't mean it will work in the next. Each person has their own will and preferences even at a young age. I have a brother in law that is many years younger than me and was on every adhd and add medication under the sun as well as being labeled as bipolar and he came to my house for a weekend without meds and he was a pleasure to be around. You just have to find the structure that works and stick to it, your not going to see that in many books because its a two sentence statement that IMHO is the best advice I can give to any parent.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    So, what say you? The experts have spoken. They've given their statistics and they are wearing the white coats. Question their decisions and I will troll up your threads with pictures of tinfoil hats. :cool:
    The chance of shooting someone you know is interesting. It's also interesting that there is a higher chance of someone you know breaking into your house that someone you don't know..

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ...The fact is, we are only having this argument because we have gotten very good at keeping small babies alive and we should all thank those dang scientists for it. However, we are now working on smaller and smaller sized groups to save and the question eventually becomes, "Can we save them all?" as well as, "What are we willing to sacrifice under the hope of saving them all?"...

My problem with it is the thought process of all these "saviours". The idea that other people's children are my responsibility to save, cloth, feed, educate, discipline, train, put seat belts on, make sure they wear their helmets, and even put to bed apparently.

The even bigger problem I have with it is the thought process that leads these "saviours" to think THEY decide these things for MY CHILDREN.

Read, write, blather and yammer, get all the degrees they want and write all the books they want but decisions concerning my children are mine to make. Decisions concerning some one else's children and the responsibility for those actions are their's to make and to live with the results.

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I slept with Callie for the first 3 months on a regular basis. I had a c section and had complications that had me bed ridden for quite some time after the birth. I slept with her because I thought it would be easier considering I had a lot of problems getting up to even walk. I did this until one night I pulled her in close to me to BF and after a few minutes I fell asleep. I woke up to my little girl kicking and trying like crazy to push me away. When I sat up, she gasped for air. If I wouldn't have woke up, this would have ended in a different way. I then got one of those "co sleepers" that hooked to the side of the bed, but even that wasn't enough. It's really easy to fall asleep when you don't physically get up out of bed to feed your child. She slept in her bed from then on. I felt like the worst mother in the world when I woke up to my child fighting for her life under my breast. I also learned a very good lesson.
    Now, she sleeps in her bed for the most part. She tends to come into ours at 4 am. But instead of the threat of me suffocating her, It's visa versa. She's a pain in the butt to sleep with.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For most parents, I don't think bonding is an issue any more. A lot of them are dumping them at daycare and heading back to work before the stitches are out.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I slept with Callie for the first 3 months on a regular basis. I had a c section and had complications that had me bed ridden for quite some time after the birth. I slept with her because I thought it would be easier considering I had a lot of problems getting up to even walk. I did this until one night I pulled her in close to me to BF and after a few minutes I fell asleep. I woke up to my little girl kicking and trying like crazy to push me away. When I sat up, she gasped for air. If I wouldn't have woke up, this would have ended in a different way. I then got one of those "co sleepers" that hooked to the side of the bed, but even that wasn't enough. It's really easy to fall asleep when you don't physically get up out of bed to feed your child. She slept in her bed from then on. I felt like the worst mother in the world when I woke up to my child fighting for her life under my breast. I also learned a very good lesson.
    Now, she sleeps in her bed for the most part. She tends to come into ours at 4 am. But instead of the threat of me suffocating her, It's visa versa. She's a pain in the butt to sleep with.
    :+1:Thank you RM for the first hand experience of the dangers.

Should it be .gov's place to regulate it? Hell no. Should it be their job to spread the word of the dangers? IMO...yes. They have the resources. But it's like anything else. Weigh the information and decide for yourself.

The article I read did just that...simply a warning as to the dangers. If .gov does anything but that...they probably are overstepping their bounds. God knows they've done it before.

My issue is presumably well meaning internet crusaders turning it into more than it is...as if the dangers aren't real. That's the real danger in this thread...IMO.

Raise your kids the best you can. As informed and educated parents. That's hard enough to do...even without someone bringing the black helicopters into the picture down playing a serious issue. :twocents:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    "Do not sleep next to your infant." So say the experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics. Forget about the bonding and the emotional connection achieved from physical contact with your newborn.

So, you decide. Have most of the parents in the course of history been doing it wrong? Should newborn infants sleep alone in a dark crib in their own room?

Some parents at odds with experts about sharing beds with infants

You dont have any kids do you?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The medical advice has changed over the years. When our kids were little they said to place them on their bellies so if they puked during the night, they wouldn't choke to death. Now they say to not put them on their bellies because it causes SIDS.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You dont have any kids do you?

Nope. I don't have a real dog in the fight either. I am not attacking anyone's choices; sorry if my defensive buddies on here thought that I was. I could care less honestly what parents decide. I am fascinated when a progressive panel rocks the maternal boat and tells one side that they are wrong though.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    As the parent of a 6 week old boy I can say this.

Co sleeping scares the crap out of me. One roll and he is dead. That is all I can think about. He has been in our bed but only so my wife and I can watch him sleep. I would do anything for this child. My wife doesn't even breast feed in the bed. He even sleeps in his own room.

No I didn't read it on the internet. Nor did I take the advice of anyone else. My wife and I discussed it. This is what we've decided is best for our child.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Funny, I just read the article. Did anyone notice the first paragraph was about a child smothered to DEATH by the parents?

Just my opnion about what the medical professionals do for the common man. They GIVE you information so you can make informed decisions. IF you sleep with your child you COULD smother them. In fact you are FAR more likely to smother your child if you sleep with them. Your child could be smothered if placed in crib with stuffed animals.

If you own guns your children are more likely to be killed by them. That is a fact. No matter what anyone likes or doesn't. If you don't have guns in your home it is likely that they won't be shot by a gun in your home. Me? I'm going to have guns in my home. That is the risk I take. Will I ever be robbed? Probibly not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is something my wife and I discussed as well. We have plenty of "snuggle" time with our 9-month old daughter, but she sleeps in her crib. No separation issues either. She sleeps from 8:30PM to 6:30AM like clockwork. When she does wake up in the middle of the night, she plays quietly for a bit and goes back to sleep.

Folks have been putting kids in cribs or bassinets for a long, long time. Nothing really new, other than we have some evidence to back it up a bit.

Of course, I just found out that our 37-year-old drop-side crib is going to kill every infant for 10 miles. :rolleyes: So much for selling it in a year or so....

Top Bottom