• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    There was a story in the news tonight about an increase in SWATing pranks recently, and I figured I'd hop on INGO and start a discussion if there wasn't one already.

In case you don't know, SWATing is where someone prank calls the police and fakes a situation that is certain to invoke a SWAT response on the pranked person's residence. One voice clip they played was someone making monetary demands and talking of killing hostages, etc.

I believe it's been ruled a legal police entry since they had a warrant, but the warrant was obtained on false evidence.

What would they do if you were armed and defended yourself in the chaos? The only place for murder/attempted murder charges to fall is on the prankster, no? I'm not suggesting that it is right to knowingly fire on officers of the law, but in the heat of the moment who knows what you might think is happening.

What would you personally do if heavily armed and armored men breached your door and cleared your house when you've done nothing wrong?

I honestly think there should be clear lines that have to be drawn to prevent armed assaults when they have no evidence of the situation taking place other than a phone call.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If it's a hostage supposed situation, wouldn't just busting in be the worst possible course of action? No trying to peep in to just see a family having dinner or watching tv?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't believe IMPD SWAT has had the "pleasure" of being SWATed yet, but phylodog could correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that our team doesn't just go busting through the door all willy-nilly based solely on what was stated in a call to 911. There are written procedures in place that dictate how SWAT must be requested and the actions they take once onscene.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I don't believe IMPD SWAT has had the "pleasure" of being SWATed yet, but phylodog could correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that our team doesn't just go busting through the door all willy-nilly based solely on what was stated in a call to 911. There are written procedures in place that dictate how SWAT must be requested and the actions they take once onscene.

Awh shucks! *kicks rocks*

SOPs suck! :(

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

ya right, from what i hear you coppers blow down doors for looking at you funny

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

True. As phylodog has previously pointed out, following well developed procedures and plenty of training and discipline have conspired to keep the IMPD SWAT team from finding itself under the harsh light of post-screwup scrutiny. Unfortunately, not all SWAT teams are created equal. Kudos to those who invest the thought and effort necessary to prevent such failures with or without outside assistance in creating the opportunity for a most unfortunate event.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    One particular department VERY close to me could learn a thing or ten from Frank and Phylodog. Keep up the good work guys!

As to the OP, Yeah we are pretty aware of SWATting and the consequences thereof. There are several threads about it and usually a new one every coupld weeks or so.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    One particular department VERY close to me could learn a thing or ten from Frank and Phylodog. Keep up the good work guys!

As to the OP, Yeah we are pretty aware of SWATting and the consequences thereof. There are several threads about it and usually a new one every coupld weeks or so.

Not sure how long you've been back on since your incident, but welcome back!

You know, you could always go SWATing on them next time you see those lovely guys acting out of order lol

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Ah CRAP what ever happened to the good old days when you could just go "ALL WILLY-NILLY" on someone and not get in trouble???? :ar15::coffee:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    There was a story in the news tonight about an increase in SWATing pranks recently, and I figured I'd hop on INGO and start a discussion if there wasn't one already.

In case you don't know, SWATing is where someone prank calls the police and fakes a situation that is certain to invoke a SWAT response on the pranked person's residence.

Do you have a link to this?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was a story in the news tonight about an increase in SWATing pranks recently...

Is this another story like rainbow parties and pharm'ing?

Is so, then this discussion is about pointless.

BUT...

There's 5-10 guys who train constantly and do this stuff repeatedly. They're heavily armed, they have the element of surprise and you ask who's to blame when you take them out? :n00b:

I figure comply and sorting it out later is better than death. :twocents:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

BUT...

There's 5-10 guys who train constantly and do this stuff repeatedly. They're heavily armed, they have the element of surprise and you ask who's to blame when you take them out? :n00b:

I think you miss his point. What if the homeowner, or anyone else, is killed? Is the SWATTER guilty of murder? I'd say yes. In gunplay anyone could die, no matter how well trained, just ask our special forces.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think you miss his point. What if the homeowner, or anyone else, is killed? Is the SWATTER guilty of murder? I'd say yes. In gunplay anyone could die, no matter how well trained, just ask our special forces.

I'll save the what-ifs and whodunnits for the rest of you all. ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

That's why these need to be taken seriously and the "prankster" charged with attempted murder.

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    You are allowed to defend yourself against anyone in Indiana, including police (if they enter unlawfully or present harm unlawfully). Though I imagine it would not turn out well for you.

Indiana Code 35-41-3

"the general assembly finds and declares that it is the policy of this state to recognize the unique character of a citizen's home and to ensure that a citizen feels secure in his or her own home against unlawful intrusion by another individual or a public servant."

I imagine that the SWAT would have a warrant like was previously mentioned..... Don't know how that would play out legally if swat entered and you tried to defend yourself...
    Honestly, at that level of commitment by the police, I don't see the homeowner drawing a weapon and walking out of the house.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven

BUT...

I did not mean to imply that the homeowner would be victorious, but I imagine he/she would do some damage. How would the law and the media convey this? I would think a no-knock breach would require positive proof of a dangerous situation. It is possible the judge who granted the warrant could have some fault.

I have also heard of cartels using SWAT-style assaults to kidnap people, so you never know for sure who is attacking.

Top Bottom