• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have a friend/coworker that fits those specs and he almost exclusively appendix carries, no one would ever know. I do think body type makes a big difference, but how you work around it and holster choice make just as much.
    Just as you say with making your 1911 disappear, there is some combination out there that will work. Wish I knew the formula though.
    Unfortunately I think everyone has that box of Holsters in the closet.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wondering how much Body type plays into the viability of appendix carry? I am 6’3 190 Lbs and I never could make appendix carry work. For me About 15:30 IWB works best for me. But I am guessing the right belt along with the Milt Sparks holster makes all,the difference in the world and makes complete concealment of a 1911 work.
    Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a particularly reliable way to predict what will work. That's why everybody has a drawer full of holsters that they don't/no longer use. I wish that wasn't so and it is why I find advice on INGO about what works for other people so valuable. Using that, one can at least narrow down some of the choices

I'm kind of a Luddite, I haven't had anything striker fired for quite some time. Since, depending on season/situation, I carry FNPs or a P-01 or now a Sig P239, a lot of new hotness holsters are not available to me. Although the expense of custom made isn't that big of a deal, the wait time coupled with the disappointment factor still make me want to have the best chance possible to get it right. I also like leather (after it gets broken in) far more than kydex, and found hybrid holsters to be an interesting idea but disappointing in execution

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a particularly reliable way to predict what will work. That's why everybody has a drawer full of holsters that they don't/no longer use. I wish that wasn't so and it is why I find advice on INGO about what works for other people so valuable. Using that, one can at least narrow down some of the choices

I'm kind of a Luddite, I haven't had anything striker fired for quite some time. Since, depending on season/situation, I carry FNPs or a P-01 or now a Sig P239, a lot of new hotness holsters are not available to me. Although the expense of custom made isn't that big of a deal, the wait time coupled with the disappointment factor still make me want to have the best chance possible to get it right. I also like leather (after it gets broken in) far more than kydex, and found hybrid holsters to be an interesting idea but disappointing in execution
    There is a store that I go too, a pia to get there but they are very accommodating and will let you bring your sidearm arm in and holster shop. While still not ideal at least you can avoid the I hate it the first time you put it on.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I, personally, wont give my money to anyone who made me go defenseless because some jackass cried about it. You and your buddies should find somewhere else, and maybe, other teams enjoyed your guys company enough they will also follow. Hurt them in their pockets, and let them reap what they sow.

Ill be damned if im going to be at a bar until midnight with no way to protect myself. Plenty of other establishments willing to allow me and my friends to carry.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Right or wrong it's their bar and they call the tune.
    So you have to decide how important it is to you to open carry in there.
    Personally, I carry a pocket pistol (presently a P365 with 12 round mag) for situations like this and just keep quiet about having it. YMMV

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That is an issue when carrying a less common firearm. If you step up to a P228/9 or P226 you'll find a lot more holster options. Appendix carry, counterintutively, often seems to work better with a longer firearm. I use a G17 length holster with my G45 since the extra length helps keep the grip from rolling out. It also gives me room to put a comp on if I ever want to, but so far I've. Similarly, I never carry the P229s I have because when I got my first P226 I found it was easier to carry that instead. With no concern about any other feature/function, I think the ultimate AIWB firearm is the one that is thinnest and longest (within reason, no Joker guns...)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Do what I always do. Carry concealed and avoid unwarranted and unnecessary confrontations and conversations about my armed/not armed status. Full size concealed carry takes a little more work and/or better equipment but is easily doable. For pool playing, I'd strongly consider appendix carry.
    Just don't shoot that Blue Ball in the Corner Pocket! ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That is an issue when carrying a less common firearm. If you step up to a P228/9 or P226 you'll find a lot more holster options. Appendix carry, counterintutively, often seems to work better with a longer firearm. I use a G17 length holster with my G45 since the extra length helps keep the grip from rolling out. It also gives me room to put a comp on if I ever want to, but so far I've. Similarly, I never carry the P229s I have because when I got my first P226 I found it was easier to carry that instead. With no concern about any other feature/function, I think the ultimate AIWB firearm is the one that is thinnest and longest (within reason, no Joker guns...)
    In the 90s, I carried my 92 in a smart carry holster with an extra mag a lot. Was surprisingly easy. Just had to position the holster properly when putting it on.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I prefer strong side carry and CC use an AlienGear cloaktuck worn at 3:30. Hides my CZ PCR pretty well with minimal printing. With a loose, long tailed shirt I don’t think it is obvious when bending over. My gut makes AIWB a little challenging but I have a Pegasus Slim-Tuk IWB for my P365 which is pretty comfortable that I use.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is a store that I go too, a pia to get there but they are very accommodating and will let you bring your sidearm arm in and holster shop. While still not ideal at least you can avoid the I hate it the first time you put it on.
    I've kind of found them to be like shoes, where you have to wear them a while before the hate sets in

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just gotta say, this is another plus for the (I know inadequit) j-frame in a pancake OWB at 3:30/4:00 o-clock. Sweep shirt on the way to the draw, bring sidearm to bare. JMO.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When I worked IT, I carried a gov't 1911 in a Smart Carry, but the extra mag made it look like I was a little too excited to be there.
    Now that I think back on it, I did tend to leave the extra mag at home and use the mag pocket for cash a lot. Back then, there wasn't as much push to carry a spare mag. I don't tend to carry one ED now. My failing I suppose

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So, I've been OC'ing every day everywhere for the last couple years. I've not been hassled anywhere I've been (Kroger, Target, several northside bars, even my credit union, etc.)...... until recently.

Suddenly a month ago my local neighborhood bar decided they don't like it anymore and decided to change their policy and posted a View attachment 217087 on their doors.
    Last time I walked in I was asked to leave it in my car. I simply left and I haven't been back since.

I have been playing pool in the American Poolplayers Association for 7 years now, ever since my wife passed away (something to keep me busy and possibly meet someone new). My team captain (retired Army Ranger) and I, as well as several others in the league have been carrying at matches held at our "home" bar for years without incident. Weekly matches have us playing from 7pm to usually around midnight every Thursday.

Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.

I enjoy playing and like the distraction and challenge playing pool brings me, but I don't feel I can compromise my principles; the right to defend myself and others around me should the need arise.
    There are 3 more matches left this season and I am considering sending my team the following note:

I don't plan on spending any more money there on supper and beer while there for the rest of the season.
    Is it worth it to give up a fun, relatively inexpensive hobby/activity for this or is this not the hill to "die" on?

EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.
    Sounds like the one that needed to be banned, was the drunk.

Reactions: Mij

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If you go back without a gun, or with a concealed gun, it will look like they "won" and will empower them.

Side point: No offense, but the "A" answer seems to be avoiding problems in the first place. That would mean no OC, which means that people like that don't have an issue to flex over. Or, people that can't stand up to Karens don't need to change the rules to appease Karen.

Top Bottom