• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    So, I've been OC'ing every day everywhere for the last couple years. I've not been hassled anywhere I've been (Kroger, Target, several northside bars, even my credit union, etc.)...... until recently.

Suddenly a month ago my local neighborhood bar decided they don't like it anymore and decided to change their policy and posted a 1660250357838.png on their doors.
    Last time I walked in I was asked to leave it in my car. I simply left and I haven't been back since.

I have been playing pool in the American Poolplayers Association for 7 years now, ever since my wife passed away (something to keep me busy and possibly meet someone new). My team captain (retired Army Ranger) and I, as well as several others in the league have been carrying at matches held at our "home" bar for years without incident. Weekly matches have us playing from 7pm to usually around midnight every Thursday.

Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.

I enjoy playing and like the distraction and challenge playing pool brings me, but I don't feel I can compromise my principles; the right to defend myself and others around me should the need arise.
    There are 3 more matches left this season and I am considering sending my team the following note:
    I will play the remainder of this season and any post-season matches we end up qualifying for. After that I think I'm done as I won't compromise my principles by patronizing a business that doesn't respect my rights to defend myself and others around me, especially due to a bad knee-jerk policy caused by a few (or one) bad apples.
    I don't plan on spending any more money there on supper and beer while there for the rest of the season.
    Is it worth it to give up a fun, relatively inexpensive hobby/activity for this or is this not the hill to "die" on?

EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've thought about that but I don't curently have anything very concealable. I have my SA TRP 1911 (safe queen) and my beretta 92FS which I specifically bought for EDC, it is inexpensive enough to not worry about wear and tear or scratches.
    I've expressed my CC EDC desires in other threads but so far have not decided on a new EDC. Plus I get the impression the owner will be looking out more closely for us carrying.

I am practiced, comfortable, confident and proficient with my 92, so it will take some time to retrain my mindset for a new edc.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've thought about that but I don't curently have anything very concealable. I have my SA TRP 1911 (safe queen) and my beretta 92FS which I specifically bought for EDC, it is inexpensive enough to not worry about wear and tear or scratches.
    I've expressed my CC EDC desires in other threads but so far have not decided on a new EDC. Plus I get the impression the owner will be looking out more closely for us carrying.

I am practiced, comfortable, confident and proficient with my 92, so it will take some time to retrain my mindset for a new edc.
    Not trying to be argumentative… But deep concealment is entirely possible with a full size 1911 or a 92 G just takes a little extra preperation.

Good Luck. Unfortunately down here CC would be your only option in a bar setting unless less than 50% of their revenue was generated from alcohol sales.

Reactions: ret

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So your local bar would rather cater to drunken loudmouth fools than people who behave themselves?

Yep, conceal carry to support your team to the end of the season and then find a quality place to have a drink and play pool. Take your team and as much of the rest of the league as possible with you.

Good luck!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    To be continued…
    My team captain is speaking with the league operator and the new owner of the bar.

Apparently this came about because two weeks ago a girl was permanently barred from the place she left and came back with some friends one of which had a gun with him.

@Born2vette I can find another home bar team but the problem is playoffs and cash cup are still played at Kip’s

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    So, I've been OC'ing every day everywhere for the last couple years. I've not been hassled anywhere I've been (Kroger, Target, several northside bars, even my credit union, etc.)...... until recently.

Suddenly a month ago my local neighborhood bar decided they don't like it anymore and decided to change their policy and posted a View attachment 217087 on their doors.
    Last time I walked in I was asked to leave it in my car. I simply left and I haven't been back since.

I have been playing pool in the American Poolplayers Association for 7 years now, ever since my wife passed away (something to keep me busy and possibly meet someone new). My team captain (retired Army Ranger) and I, as well as several others in the league have been carrying at matches held at our "home" bar for years without incident. Weekly matches have us playing from 7pm to usually around midnight every Thursday.

Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.

I enjoy playing and like the distraction and challenge playing pool brings me, but I don't feel I can compromise my principles; the right to defend myself and others around me should the need arise.
    There are 3 more matches left this season and I am considering sending my team the following note:

I don't plan on spending any more money there on supper and beer while there for the rest of the season.
    Is it worth it to give up a fun, relatively inexpensive hobby/activity for this or is this not the hill to "die" on?

EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.
    Possibly not the most popular opinion. I suspect if you talk to your army ranger buddy, he'd mention that you need to "pick the hills you're willing to die on". If it was me, and I enjoyed my time there with my friends, I'd leave it in the car or CC or a non-gun weapon (what I do on Sunday at church in fact). Just as you have your principles, one of them should be to respect the right of the owner to decide what he wants his place to be. I wouldn't be surprised if you can let this go, the sign will "go" also after a bit. Just sayn'

Top Bottom