• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    hf guns.jpg from harbor freights facebook page. i get cheap tools to take to work there all the time so its pretty cool that i dont have to worry about my gun showing

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    China, all of it

This is true, but there are some things to consider:

1. Few 'American' tools are still made here. For example, as far as I can tell, Channel Lock makes the only American made fence tool still available. Familiar names like Crescent, Vise-Grip, and several others are Chinese tools with American names stamped on them.

2. The factory producing the gas engines you buy at Harbor Freight is the OEM for Honda (which led to some mutual nastiness resulting in the Chinese-branded engine being bored out a bit and having the power turned up just a little so as not to be the 'same').

3. When you buy tools, the divide in cost is getting great enough that you have to ask if you can justify the cost. Going back to our Crescent wrench, I could buy a Chinese tool cheaper, perhaps as low as half the cost of a Crescent when they were still made in the US. Under the circumstances of paying $7 for Chinese or $15 for American, I would still buy American. If I have to pay $75 to Snap-On, I start to lose my motivation to buy American unless I can really justify the money. Incidentally, I am aware of the situation with Channel Lock and the fence tool because of the lengths to which I went to find an American-made (as opposed to American-named) tool. Likewise, with the engines, why am I going to pay nearly $1K for Honda when I can walk out the door with what amounts to the same engine with the aforementioned minor adjustments, including the traditional Honda quality, for, if I remember correctly, $350 which was admittedly on sale, but still a much better deal for what amounts to different labels.

This brings me to the conclusion that I will be happy (depending on the nature of the tool and the value it has to me over time, i.e., temporary use or the rest of my life use) with Harbor Freight rather than paying a premium for a tool that probably came from the same factory stamped with an American logo.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I like that Harbor Freight did this! This is what every dang business needs to do from here on out! Let the law handle laws, and we will continue to spend money in your business!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Rumor has it that this started when friends of an OCer, who was asked to leave a store in Benton Harbor, MI, began hitting their FB page.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I don't buy expensive tools anymore they break and are costly to repair, Craftsman, Snap on, and Matco fight like teenage girls to get out of honoring their lifetime commitment.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Good for Harbor Freight. :yesway:

Support the businesses that support the 2A and avoid those that do not. 'Vote' with the wallet. :thumbsup:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have open carried at the Indy southside store most everytime that I came back from BGF's range. Never a problem other than a female customer smirking at me one time. She was nice looking too! Too bad.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I like HF and their tools, while nearly 100% "Made in China", are what they are. There are times when you need a tool for a single job and HF fits the bill for me. I buy quality tools for the stuff I use all the time but for one-off or rarely used tools, I'm glad there is a HF store nearby.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have air tools that I bought from HF going on 10 years old, use them everyday, dirty environment, hard use, and they still do the job. My company bought Sioux brand air drills a year or two ago, some where non functional right out of the box, and they were way more expensive than HF drills. I've always liked shopping there, and obviously will continue.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So is Harbor Freight now going to sell Hi-Points?

I like HF for consumables like disposable gloves. And their bar clamps can be had for a good deal...can never have too many clamps in my line of work.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    What American-made computer or smart phone did you post this with?

Exactly! This 17", quad processor, HP ENVY Touchscreen beast with a 1TB hybrid drive sitting on my lap right now is absolutely amazing.

Ordered on HP's web store, assembled in China and had it in 3 days. Not one complaint here.

It is an undeniable global marketplace and trying to wish it away isn't going to work.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I feel like the last couple times I've been in Harbor Freight I have seen someone OCing... Good to see their policy. It's a good place when you need something cheap or a one time use type tool you don't want to pay a ton for!

Top Bottom