• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    China, all of it

Not true... While it is a rarity, USA/European made tools can still be found there. As a matter of fact, up until a couple years ago, Harbor Freight was the cheapest place to buy the Goodyear brand air-hoses STILL MADE IN USA... unfortunately they did quit carrying them.

That being said, I'm starting to consider chinese goods more. As stated above, for a small cost premium I will absolutely support US workers, but sometimes it's not worth it.

My favorite example: angle grinders of the 4-1/2 type... I've burned up expensive dewalts, metabos, etc just as easily as I can burn up a Harbor freight special. The difference is, at $100+ for a Metabo I'm not keeping a spare on the shelf, nor for the $65 dewalt. But the $8 harbor-freight special, I have 3 spares on the shelf right now... and I can burn up 8 HF grinders for the cost of a single dewalt and ~15 for the cost of a Metabo. There is no reason to pay the added money for the premium brand in a high-use application where even the good ones fail... I will say the metal "casting" of the HF is cheap, the bearings seem a bit loose and "rattly" but none of that matters that much...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suppose it's natural for every conversation that even brushes against Harbor Freight to end up in a cheap tool/China discussion.

Anyhoo,

I have been very pleased with some things I have gotten there. Now, keep in mind I am a DIYer and hobbyist, not using these tools to make a living.

18ga brad nailer- provided I use name-brand brads, it has always worked perfectly. I've had it for about 2 years and oil before and after every use, but I can't imagine life without it now. $19.95

Cargo bar for pickup bed. very useful. $18.95

3/8" torque wrench. Had it for 6 or 7 years. So far, so good. I have checked it against some big name torque wrenches and it is accurate. $19.95

60 piece tap and die set. Let me tell, you this set has been a god-send. I have broken 1 tap, but that was my fault. I've had it for years. $19.95

Motorcycle cable lubricator. I could pay $25, but at about $4.99, this one has worked fine for years.

Set of deep well metric sockets and set of metric allen sockets- both work fine for under $10 each.

What you do not see on this list is any electrically operated tools. I bought a 1/3 sheet finishing sander for $14.95 many years ago and it was horrible. I did not make the same mistake twice. I also will not buy sandpaper there. Again, horrible. I bought a motorcycle chain breaker that worked for 1 use and snapped- brittle porous casting. Honestly, I use a punch and a ball peen hammer now.

For my electrical tools, I take what I saved at HF on the simple tools and spend it on Milwaukee.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    You should buy American when possible. That supports the 2nd amendment a lot better then supporting China who disarms there people. Admittaly I have bought cheep HF stuff as well but when given the choice American made is the way to go

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    I question the integrity of the current American faculty worker. Do most take pride in their work or only work to get paid, feeling they are entitled to a job? Even if made in the US how much of the inner workings (parts) are made some place else? Lowe's seems to stand behind their brand (Kobalt) of hand tools as for a warranty.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I question the integrity of the current American faculty worker. Do most take pride in their work or only work to get paid, feeling they are entitled to a job? Even if made in the US how much of the inner workings (parts) are made some place else? Lowe's seems to stand behind their brand (Kobalt) of hand tools as for a warranty.

This question is not personal with you, but your post relects feelings that I often hear.

What does everyone do for a living?

How many people are in unsatisfying jobs, but go to work every day and still do a good job?

How much pride do you think red chinese take in their work?

How much integrity is there in copying a patented USA product and manufacturing it to lower quality?

We have not had a tax base that can support our nation since we started the trend to offshore manufacturing. Manufacturing is the only business with true value added, that is creates wealth. We could use some more wealth creation in this country. I personally agonize over almost every purchase to buy Made in America, and if I cannot, I try to find stuff made in Countries that are at least friendly to the USA. So many of the brands that you could always get premium quality if you pay the price are now giving you crap quality with their name printed on it, and still charging the premium price. That is offensive.

I am at a place in life where I get involved with cleaning up peoples homes after they pass. Many of the belongings I remember from my childhood 50+ years ago. And the stuff is still good, having more life left in it that the new stuff I can buy today. And most of that old stuff was never premium or professional grade, it was consumer grade from places like Sears, Montgomery Wards, Ace hardware and the like. It was better than we can buy today at any price. People born 25 plus years after me never got to taste American quality, some do not know what they are missing, but other just know in their hearts there had to be a better way. Sad.

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    :wow: well put, Leo!!! I still use some tools my dad gave me from my grandfather. I have a file that I don't think will ever be replicated in this day and age.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Regardless of the opinions about the quality, or lack of quality, of the tools at Harbour Freight - I appreciated their stance on OPEN CARRY....

Top Bottom