Oops, all U.S. banks closed. Electrical Grid Down. Watcha Gonna Do???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Our power went out over the weekend for about an hour. It's amazing how fast you realize-my well won't run, can't get fuel, don't have cash on hand, not even sure if my gas furnace uses electricity to turn on. I do have some gas and a small generator. I spend ten-12 hours a day working, and don't have the skillset currently to preserve food. I'm pretty much cannon fodder!

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    My wife and I will do our very best to secure our residence(nothing is impregnable). Body armor and ballistic helmet (in theory) will help me stay in the fight a bit longer defending my wife and residence.
    My faith in God's grace is my default. I understand that my citizenship is in heaven with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
    Will I put up the best fight I can give while on this earth? YES.

I never forget that even "good nature" people can become aggressive when their survival is at risk. Couple this fact with the BLM/ANTIFA mentality that is pervasive today. It's going to be MAD MAX environment.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    This scenario can easily fit into this thread ( Link attached ) ..............( Not bashing or anything , just stating that when someone asks these questions , there are so many variables to cover . All one can do is prepare for as many of them as you can )
    A lot of the same answers ............vvv

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Anything paper will be good for wiping your butt eventually. Anything electronic won't even be good for that.

Get skills - they weigh nothing and take up no space.

Hedge on people's addictions:
    Alcohol (for the drunks and for sterilization)
    Cigarettes (for those addicted to nicotine) - though I understand these have a limited shelf life
    Antibiotics and ammo (for those addicted to living)

PMs? Maybe eventually.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My wife and I will do our very best to secure our residence(nothing is impregnable). Body armor and ballistic helmet (in theory) will help me stay in the fight a bit longer defending my wife and residence.
    My faith in God's grace is my default. I understand that my citizenship is in heaven with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I never forget that even "good nature" people can become aggressive when their survival is at risk. Couple this fact with the BLM/ANTIFA mentality that is pervasive today. It's going to be MAD MAX environment.
    When the time comes to build your forever home, checkout how Jeff Cooper built his. Just a thought.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Our power went out over the weekend for about an hour. It's amazing how fast you realize-my well won't run, can't get fuel, don't have cash on hand, not even sure if my gas furnace uses electricity to turn on. I do have some gas and a small generator. I spend ten-12 hours a day working, and don't have the skillset currently to preserve food. I'm pretty much cannon fodder!
    It doesn't take a very large generator to run a gas furnace. The electricity powers the blower motor, circuit board and the thermostat. But it is not something you will want to deal with after the power is out. Most furnaces have a switch in a metal box located on the side. This is a service switch to shut the power off for the service technicians. I replaced the switch with a single outlet. The furnace wires that were connect to the switch were connected to a power cord then plugged into the outlet and the furnace worked as normal. If a technician needs to cut power to the furnace for service, they only have to unplug the cord. If we have a power failure all I have to do to get the furnace back in operation is to unplug the power cord from the box on the furnace and connect it to the generator. When the power comes back on just plug it back into the box on the side of the furnace.

Furnace Power.jpg

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Electrical grid going down nationwide is likely to be a catastrophic event for todays society in terms of civility and order.. Whatever Ive got in the bank isnt going to help me now.

No electricity = no security systems = little to no risk of consequences/risk of getting in trouble for looting = wide spread looting = wide spread unrest = widespread drain on government resources with little ability to communicate with the public... it goes on and on and on.

Now its time to lock up or bug out or whatever your plan may be and hope for the best.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It doesn't take a very large generator to run a gas furnace. The electricity powers the blower motor, circuit board and the thermostat. But it is not something you will want to deal with after the power is out. Most furnaces have a switch in a metal box located on the side. This is a service switch to shut the power off for the service technicians. I replaced the switch with a single outlet. The furnace wires that were connect to the switch were connected to a power cord then plugged into the outlet and the furnace worked as normal. If a technician needs to cut power to the furnace for service, they only have to unplug the cord. If we have a power failure all I have to do to get the furnace back in operation is to unplug the power cord from the box on the furnace and connect it to the generator. When the power comes back on just plug it back into the box on the side of the furnace.

View attachment 318465
    A good electrician can hook you up a plug in that will allow you to run your whole fuse box. You can choose which circuits to turn on or off and when. A thought.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru

All you can do is your best, and good natured people WILL become aggressive when they're starving or looking for shelter for themselves or their family. I think a mad max environment might be understated. If/when it happens it’s probably going to be worse than we can imagine. I don’t relish the thought but I will fight till my last breath to protect my family. As a dad and husband that’s my only priority.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    A good electrician can hook you up a plug in that will allow you to run your whole fuse box. You can choose which circuits to turn on or off and when. A thought.

Yep, we do them a lot at work. If you have a small Genny. An interlock kit and some sjo with a cord end will fit the bill. You shut off all the breakers you don’t or can’t use depending on the size of the unit and you’re in business. The recept. is the wild card here. Depending on where your load center is located in your house it may require some extra wire to get it to where the genny is. An interlock kit is only a hundred bucks or so. Wire is whatever the market is at the time and the size depending on your amperage needs. Still a lot cheaper than a transfer switch.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yep, we do them a lot at work. If you have a small Genny. An interlock kit and some sjo with a cord end will fit the bill. You shut off all the breakers you don’t or can’t use depending on the size of the unit and you’re in business. The recept. is the wild card here. Depending on where your load center is located in your house it may require some extra wire to get it to where the genny is. An interlock kit is only a hundred bucks or so. Wire is whatever the market is at the time and the size depending on your amperage needs. Still a lot cheaper than a transfer switch.

Really just a 50a inlet with an interlock on the panel is all you need, I run my whole house off a 13,000w generator...

View attachment 318465

I did just this until I went big and bought a generator that'd run the whole house...for the few minutes this took to wire up, it worked well!

Top Bottom