• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I’ve considered driving a school bus when I semi retire. The hours are good, pay is pretty decent, but I wouldn’t do it anywhere but in the town I live in, or another small school district. No way would I do it in the larger districts.
    I did it all wrong.
    Started when I was 23 thanks to a big box store wanting me to get a cdl-b.

Left the big box place after getting cdl since boss wouldn't let me drive. He decided the lady who tipped the forklift over knew how to drive better.

Hours sucked and trying to find a second part time job to fill the void was no fun.

At the end of the year it was equal to minimum wage.

Quitting both times were the best 2 days of mylife, work wise.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a rough 2023 also. A chunk of my head cut out due to some skin cancer in January and it went downhill from there.

I am in a similar position though a couple years older. I was eventually fired in October after a struggle to keep my job.

I took a job I didn't want to and it has once again affirmed that my "gut" is usually right. It is awful and I'm resigning tomorrow after 3 weeks of total misery on a number of levels.

I have found another job that I hope will be much better. Time will tell.

At 62, you are eligible for social security, but if you can hold off until full retirement age(probably 66 and 10 months or so), you will get more.

If Bass Pro pays insurance and you like working there, holding out until 65 would help. Then you can get Medicare.

Of course, I don't know your situation so thinking 3-4 years down the road may not be in your wheelhouse financially, emotionally or Healthwise.

I, like a lot of people, did not amass million's in a portfolio. I have more than the average and if I listen to the "experts" online, I can't afford to retire because I don't have those "millions". But that is rubbish.

Like others have said, try to get healthy. Without health, there is nothing else. I have also been sick a few times this year(most likely due to stress), and I didn't like it...at all.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I’ve considered driving a school bus when I semi retire. The hours are good, pay is pretty decent, but I wouldn’t do it anywhere but in the town I live in, or another small school district. No way would I do it in the larger districts.
    Soon after I retired decided to do some volunteer work at one of the elementary schools. I lasted maybe 3 weeks due to the behavior of the kids. I don't know how those teaches do it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I had a rough 2023 also. A chunk of my head cut out due to some skin cancer in January and it went downhill from there.

I am in a similar position though a couple years older. I was eventually fired in October after a struggle to keep my job.

I took a job I didn't want to and it has once again affirmed that my "gut" is usually right. It is awful and I'm resigning tomorrow after 3 weeks of total misery on a number of levels.

At 62, you are eligible for social security, but if you can hold off until full retirement age(probably 66 and 10 months or so), you will get more.

If Bass Pro pays insurance and you like working there, holding out until 65 would help. Then you can get Medicare.

Of course, I don't know your situation so thinking 3-4 years down the road may not be in your wheelhouse financially, emotionally or Healthwise.

I, like a lot of people, did not amass million's in a portfolio. I have more than the average and if I listen to the "experts" online, I can't afford to retire because I don't have those "millions". But that is rubbish.

Like others have said, try to get healthy. Without health, there is nothing else. I have also been sick a few times this year(most likely due to stress), and I didn't like it...at all.
    Your health is everything. I retired at 65 after watching my middle brother go through 2 years of hell with throat cancer. He survived it, has a permanent stoma in this neck. I told my wife that could be anyone of us. Time to enjoy the rest of my time on this earth. I'm lucky in that my wife is younger and is still working. And actually enjoys her job. So I have the advantage of being on her health insurance. A year ago I joined the local Planet Fitness. I go 3 times a week. It has made a huge difference in my health and how fit I feel now.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

Thank you, sounds like I have nothing to complain about..I'm just sticking with it, BPS that is, and putting in for SSI, or SSDI... I'm not in the habit of being/getting maudlin, or depressed, so no worries, and as to the healthy part, I am going to try ( not a New Years resolution) just going to get out more. Not in the habit of drinking a lot, just had a New Years Tipple, or two, watched my beloved Packers smear the Vikings, and got on here, to ask the brain trust that is INGO...I love this forum, and all you guys. Thanks and "mischief managed" Mods can lock this if you like, or not.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    If you have a grandson, move a bed into his living room, lay there every day until he wins a golden ticket. :dunno:
    You know, Grandpa Joe was a real freeloading scumbag. He pretended to be too sick to get out of bed while the family lived in deplorable conditions. The family had to eat cabbage soup for dinner every night while Grandpa Joe still somehow had money for tobacco. Also, he was able to sneek out of bed and leave the house to go buy Charlie a Wonka bar. And as soon as he found out he could visit Wonka's factory, he jumps up and starts singing and dancing all over the house. He also talked Charlie into stealing some of Wonka's fizzy lifting drink when no one was looking.

There are a lot of people out there that hate Grandpa Joe, and for good reason.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thanks for all the great words and advice, yes, God has a place in my life, just not where I need to be..
    I highly recommend getting a copy of this short little book and giving it a read. It has dramatically reinvigorated my faith and commitment to living a better life through faith.

Amazon product ASIN B0996XY8M8Also, the author lives in Cicero and at least before his accident he was an FFL. I’ve made a few transactions with him and he’s a stand up guy.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Health insurance is the key, does BP provide it?

Reduce your debts
    Consider early Social Security.
    Consider piece work welding.

You can earn as much money as you want while collecting Social Security benefits. The issue that most people are concerned with is having their benefits reduced for earning more than the annual earnings limit.
    In 2023, you can earn up to $21,240 without seeing any reduction in your Social Security benefit. However, there are some important things to keep in mind when claiming Social Security before you reach full retirement age.
    Social Security Earnings Limit
    Taking Social Security at Age 62?
    If you claim your benefit before hitting your full retirement age, you’ll be subject to the earnings limit. The specific amount adjusts each year, but for 2023 it’s $21,240.
    If you earn more than that amount, your monthly benefit is reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn above the limit. So, if you earn $21,242, your monthly Social Security check would be $1 less than it would be otherwise. Earning less than that limit won’t affect your benefits at all.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Find a way to give back.

I understand what you're going through. Aside from my career, my life hasn't turned out the way I'd hoped. After flailing about for a while, I got back into church and am trying to find opportunities to give, either with my time or money, or both. It's very fulfilling to help others.

Organized religions / practices are very helpful to many, many people.
    As one of my favorite authors (a Buddhist monk) Thich Nhat Hanh said:
    "you take care of yourself by taking care of others."

Beyond that, MrSmitty, as others have said, work on improving your health.
    Once your health seriously deteriorates, nothing else will matter.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you, sounds like I have nothing to complain about..I'm just sticking with it, BPS that is, and putting in for SSI, or SSDI... I'm not in the habit of being/getting maudlin, or depressed, so no worries, and as to the healthy part, I am going to try ( not a New Years resolution) just going to get out more. Not in the habit of drinking a lot, just had a New Years Tipple, or two, watched my beloved Packers smear the Vikings, and got on here, to ask the brain trust that is INGO...I love this forum, and all you guys. Thanks and "mischief managed" Mods can lock this if you like, or not.
    Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you are fairly out of shape, just start moving. Find a way to enjoy yardwork, if you don't already, mow the yard every third day during the spring. The grass needs it and you get exercise if you push mow.

Park far out from where you are going. Carry your grocery bags farmer style. Leave the cart at the store, and if you parked far out, it's a great functional workout carrying those bags for a bit.

Be creative. I go to the gym 4X per week, but that only accounts for about 30% of my physical efforts. The rest comes from daily life.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Make sure you really read the rules for SSDI if thats the route you are thinking about taking.
    Theres a lot to it over taking SSI.
    Good Luck
    Develop a written budget before you do anything.
    Sound advice...

Lpherr

Occupied
    Honestly, if I were 62, I would retire.
    With the people that are entering the workforce, I find it difficult to deal with all the political BS and tiptoeing around everyone's feelings.
    Every company is becoming woke and these young people are lazy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Honestly, if I were 62, I would retire.
    With the people that are entering the workforce, I find it difficult to deal with all the political BS and tiptoeing around everyone's feelings.
    Every company is becoming woke and these young people are lazy.
    Having been in my field (sales) for 40+ years, I have seen it go from fun to almost excruciating. But I think most professions have had a similar path.

Government regulation, excess technology, corporate greed has really sucked the life out of a lot of jobs.

I just missed the era of Mad Men, but got a taste of a diluted version.

I have plenty of stories…

Top Bottom