• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I turned 62 tonight, Jan 01 2024, what comes next.. I lost my welding job in June, worked at O'reilly's for a while, now I'm at Bass Pro Shop ( which I love) but am making 35% less than as a welder.... Is this all there is? I'm too old and fat to continue as a welder. I'm hoping to be a retired millionaire, but that's not working.. I'd love to be a "consultant" but lack the required sheep skin.......any advice? I can work, and take "retirement" but not sure if I'm ready...alcohol may be a part of this post...."in vino veritas"

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Alcohol is a depressant. If you’re feeling hopeless, depressed, etc, stay away from the stuff. If you love working at basspro and life is good otherwise, enjoy it and live. Decrease your cost of living to help save. Take care of your body, lose weight, etc. Health is worth much more than being a millionaire in my opinion.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Alcohol is a depressant. If you’re feeling hopeless, depressed, etc, stay away from the stuff. If you love working at basspro and life is good otherwise, enjoy it and live. Decrease your cost of living to help save. Take care of your body, lose weight, etc. Health is worth much more than being a millionaire in my opinion.
    Good advice. Always hard to follow.

But worth the effort. Overweight and depressed? Yeah, teetotalling and an excercise program will make a positive difference. Very few people have the intestinal fortitude to actually act.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I've always heard that a drunk person will say or do something that a sober person thinks about... or something like that!! lol

Edit: maybe it is "A drunk persons action is a sober person's thoughts". I really can't remember. lol

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Find a way to give back.

I understand what you're going through. Aside from my career, my life hasn't turned out the way I'd hoped. After flailing about for a while, I got back into church and am trying to find opportunities to give, either with my time or money, or both. It's very fulfilling to help others.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have to go along totally with WTB on this one. Church is the answer even if it isn't the one you were looking for.

Of everything there is out there to lust for, just remember, someone else has already had it and remained as miserable as they were before. Do you think all those rich people went to Epstein's island to share the joy they got from all the wealth they accumulated? Just a thought...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I’ve considered driving a school bus when I semi retire. The hours are good, pay is pretty decent, but I wouldn’t do it anywhere but in the town I live in, or another small school district. No way would I do it in the larger districts.

"(papaw) drives the bus...he goes up the hills and down the highway..."

Government Cheese

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I don't mean to pile on, but there seems to be a growing theme with advice given in this thread.

“You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” - St. Augustine

Finding the Lord (in or outside of church) may be the answer.

And/or being a bus driver. A lot of semi retired folks find enjoyment in that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom