• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok all here is your chance to put your rifle where your mouth is. I hear things like it's way to easy,so I don't go. Anyone can make the 600 yard shot, no problem, but I won't 'cause I don't wanna show you up. No bench to shoot off of? I can't do that, I need a bench! And the list is endless, what is your excuse???

The Ohio St long distance & mid range championship, come out and join some of thee best long distance shooters in the country, the names you see in the record books.
    Saturday & Sunday are the 1000 yard matches, Monday is the 600 yard mid range.
    I am shooting in the 600 yard midrange, after several years of doing ok (upper 590's out of 600) on 300 yard reduced ranges & a decent first outing at Perry, (ok it wasn't great, but it was way to much fun) I'm ready to redeem myself at the championship.

Ok who is gonna register & show up?? If your not coming, at least wish us luck

Here is your registration link.....

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Don't believe the fallacy that this is an equipment issue.

Accurate shots can be made on these targets with OTS ammo and iron sights. It's easier with magnification and purpose built rifles, but it's experience and fundamentals that make hits count.

The aiming black is ~6 MoA, so take some party plates out to the 100y range and get to it.
    If you're making 4 MoA groups, you won't be embarrassed. If you're shooting 2 MoA groups, you're dead on target.

<edit> I'm always shocked by the amount of junk equipment that shows up on the line.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Inside 400 yards is a lot different kind of shooting, you are primarily an equipment operator. 800-900-1000 a rifleman is a condition analyst. Understanding and reading the wind conditions, understanding light shifting, and of course exterior ballistics is why a rifleman with an Iron sighted 30 caliber rifle can easily beat a man with a $5000 bling gun and a $2000 scope.

I did have a true Palma bolt action with good iron sights and adjustable aperatures, but I learned to shoot almost identical scores with 175 grain bullets with my M1a once I ground the front sight almost off. Any decent rifle that the bullet will make it 1000 yards will work. It can be done with the little .223 but it is really tricky. 62 gr Nato ammo is not the right stuff, never saw anyone with 69 grain match ammo make the big end either. A .308 with 168 grain bullets is the minimum muzzle energy I bothered to shoot in the M1a.

At 1000 yards, you will need enough elevation adjustment on your rear sight to shoot 36 inches above aiming point at 100 yards. I used to have the old military "thermometer" looking targets, but a big paper with a spot 36 inches above the aiming point will work.

It is a lot of fun! You will never know if you never try.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    @55fairlane

Good luck, and I for one am eager to hear how you do.

I know I am not good enough. My marksmanship at this juncture pretty much sucks, and I doubt I own glass good enough to even see a target at 600 yards. I can however appreciate the skills of those who make it look easy.
    Marksmanship is a skill that can be taught & learned.....start slow (if you will) do an appleseed (or equivalent) program, shoot a few rimfire sporter matches, this will teach your basic mechanics, then it is way easy to slide into high power.....

Not enough glass? I'm running a 10 power optic on my match rifle......the Palma guys are running iton sights! FB_IMG_1690883220280.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Don't believe the fallacy that this is an equipment issue.

Accurate shots can be made on these targets with OTS ammo and iron sights. It's easier with magnification and purpose built rifles, but it's experience and fundamentals that make hits count.

The aiming black is ~6 MoA, so take some party plates out to the 100y range and get to it.
    If you're making 4 MoA groups, you won't be embarrassed. If you're shooting 2 MoA groups, you're dead on target.

<edit> I'm always shocked by the amount of junk equipment that shows up on the line.
    The 10 ring is 2 M.O.A (12 inches @ 600 yards) with a 1 M.O.A X ring........

Junk? We call that "challenged equipment " hits count, good/bad/ugly equipment as long as it's accurate

FB_IMG_1690883271281.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Inside 400 yards is a lot different kind of shooting, you are primarily an equipment operator. 800-900-1000 a rifleman is a condition analyst. Understanding and reading the wind conditions, understanding light shifting, and of course exterior ballistics is why a rifleman with an Iron sighted 30 caliber rifle can easily beat a man with a $5000 bling gun and a $2000 scope.

I did have a true Palma bolt action with good iron sights and adjustable aperatures, but I learned to shoot almost identical scores with 175 grain bullets with my M1a once I ground the front sight almost off. Any decent rifle that the bullet will make it 1000 yards will work. It can be done with the little .223 but it is really tricky. 62 gr Nato ammo is not the right stuff, never saw anyone with 69 grain match ammo make the big end either. A .308 with 168 grain bullets is the minimum muzzle energy I bothered to shoot in the M1a.

At 1000 yards, you will need enough elevation adjustment on your rear sight to shoot 36 inches above aiming point at 100 yards. I used to have the old military "thermometer" looking targets, but a big paper with a spot 36 inches above the aiming point will work.

It is a lot of fun! You will never know if you never try.
    You sir have stated a lot of correct information!

Hand loaded ammo at this point is a must.....a 69SMK is great for 300 yards, a 77SMK for 600 yards, this load will go 800, at 900 your flirting with disaster, and no it won't make the 1000 yard dash. A buddy shoots 80's out of his wydle chamber service rifle....I personally think it's a waste the rifle isn't throated deep enough.....

Another buddy is a high Palma master shoots 223 only.......

I'm on the fence about building a 308 Palma rifle or building an "open" any sight any cartridge

Reactions: Leo

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Could I do it with this? Savage Model 11 .308….
    That savage action is a really good target action, the plastic stock might be a limiting factor, ..... are gonna shoot f-class or sling??........but yes the rifle should allow even factory ammo to hit the target.....just remember this last place is better then not trying at all

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have 100 or so 155 Palma bullets loaded but I'm sure they are all cold welded by now and not suitable for 1000 yards.

The rifle still has some life in it. 840 have gone down the tube.
    Bring it out to a Thursday afternoon practice? Those 155's will shoot on our little 300 yard range, besides you haven't tried out our new electronic targets yet have you?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Good luck!

If it weren't on Labor Day Monday, this former Buckeye would be game for the 600 yard match. I started shooting 600 yd F-Open this season and have travelled to a few matches. I'm hooked on it now.

I'll keep on the lookout for this one next year.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Good luck!

If it weren't on Labor Day Monday, this former Buckeye would be game for the 600 yard match. I started shooting 600 yd F-Open this season and have travelled to a few matches. I'm hooked on it now.

I'll keep on the lookout for this one next year.
    Hit me up, I know where most all the mid range & long distance matches are in a 7 state area....I'm at most of them.....as an f-open A) do you haunt accuratshooter? B) what is your rig? I'm a sling shooter

Top Bottom