• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Bring it out to a Thursday afternoon practice? Those 155's will shoot on our little 300 yard range, besides you haven't tried out our new electronic targets yet have you?
    Big Daddy 1427 has been after me to get back into it. We used to travel everywhere for matches. Ask mark sometime. 3 or 4 of us in my suburban. Sleeping in clubhouses for the next day match.

There is actually one person in the club that has soured me on high power. I detest the person. Lynn Richter went away for the same reason. And this same person keeps cancelling practices and matches for weather...

I shot a midrange match a while back on the e-targets. It was a lot of fun. Maybe a garand match too... But his overbearing personality makes me want to buttstroke him.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Hit me up, I know where most all the mid range & long distance matches are in a 7 state area....I'm at most of them.....as an f-open A) do you haunt accuratshooter? B) what is your rig? I'm a sling shooter
    I check out Accurate Shooter occasionally but not much. My F-Open rig is a typical 28" barreled 6BR with 10-50x60 optic. I have another similar rig in 223 that I'm just now getting a load developed for.

I shoot a weekly 300 yd league just over the line in Illinois and a monthly 600 yd match at Aurora, IL. I also shot on Atterbury a few weeks ago at the Indiana state match.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Big Daddy 1427 has been after me to get back into it. We used to travel everywhere for matches. Ask mark sometime. 3 or 4 of us in my suburban. Sleeping in clubhouses for the next day match.

There is actually one person in the club that has soured me on high power. I detest the person. Lynn Richter went away for the same reason. And this same person keeps cancelling practices and matches for weather...

I shot a midrange match a while back on the e-targets. It was a lot of fun. Maybe a garand match too... But his overbearing personality makes me want to buttstroke him.
    I will ask Mark, I hope you do come back and shoot a match or 2 on a more regular basis

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I check out Accurate Shooter occasionally but not much. My F-Open rig is a typical 28" barreled 6BR with 10-50x60 optic. I have another similar rig in 223 that I'm just now getting a load developed for.

I shoot a weekly 300 yd league just over the line in Illinois and a monthly 600 yd match at Aurora, IL. I also shot on Atterbury a few weeks ago at the Indiana state match.
    I missed the Indiana state match, other commitments.........I asked about accurate shooter because there seems to be a bunch of F-class guys on there......

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Don't believe the fallacy that this is an equipment issue.

Maybe. You should also believe that equipment and ammo can LOSE for you.

It's gotta be a BLEND. The further out you need to make hits, the more the blend swings toward equipment and ammunition.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    2 MOA @ 1000 yds? You need a lot more than good optics and trigger control. Ability to judge wind, temperature, humidity, errant gnat farts along the flight path, and a whole lot more must come into play. A monkey and a pile of ammo could hit the x-ring with a big enough pile. Doing it repeatedly takes skills abilities I have never, and will never possess. Good shooting!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    2 MOA @ 1000 yds? You need a lot more than good optics and trigger control. Ability to judge wind, temperature, humidity, errant gnat farts along the flight path, and a whole lot more must come into play. A monkey and a pile of ammo could hit the x-ring with a big enough pile. Doing it repeatedly takes skills abilities I have never, and will never possess. Good shooting!
    Never say never.....when I took up high power I did not ever think I could score a 70 (out of 100) on the 200 yard course......try an appleseed (or equivalent) do a few rimfire sporter matches, this will help you learn the mechanics.....

And thank you sir I need all the luck I can get

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Never say never.....when I took up high power I did not ever think I could score a 70 (out of 100) on the 200 yard course......try an appleseed (or equivalent) do a few rimfire sporter matches, this will help you learn the mechanics.....

And thank you sir I need all the luck I can get
    I shot the M16A1 in Intradivisional (1st Armored) competitions and did quite well. The targets were man-sized, not 2 MOA, and the longest one was 300 meters out. I did quite well. But that was almost 50 years ago. X-ring at 1000 meters. Amazing!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I shot the M16A1 in Intradivisional (1st Armored) competitions and did quite well. The targets were man-sized, not 2 MOA, and the longest one was 300 meters out. I did quite well. But that was almost 50 years ago. X-ring at 1000 meters. Amazing!
    If you like that kinda shooting, have you ever done the "pop up" @ Perry? Life sized silhouette pop up anywhere from 25 to 300 meters ...... it's hoot!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    What an interesting day....met some of the best marksman, absorbed there wisdom & still had an average day.
    My first run sucked split brass, I couldn't get comfortable, my sling kept sliding down Screenshot_20230904-093207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    My second run, changed eyeglasses, pulled the sling tighter, forgot what way to twist the windage knob Screenshot_20230904-104753_Samsung Internet.jpg
    3rd run....I found comfortable, I found my zone, my shots were on call, it was better...much better Screenshot_20230904-115918_Samsung Internet.jpg
    They guy in orange won the state service rifle! Gary is an amazing friend 123_1001.jpg
    This is the view from the ready line on both the 600 & 1000yard targets Resized_Resized_20230904_090007.jpg

And finally my (average) score card....I am struggling to get 3 good relays at 600 yards, I wbe happy with 2 good relays. The 2 7's on relays 1 was ammo malfunction, velocity was over 200 FPS slower then the other shots, relay 2 the 2 7's were all me forgetting what way to twist the windage know, 3rd relay, I missed my wind calls, but wasn't a bad run 20230904_120148.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Lynn Richter. Boy, there's a name I haven't heard in 20 years. Back when I was a usual suspect at Atterbury with the CIHPRS, Lynn would show up, shoot a good score, maybe beat Cheney for the match, and disappear back into the Indiana woods.

@Leo I've always enjoyed my M1A more than the AR platform but I wanted an Expert card. And then there's the Garand. I remember one time shooting a 500 yd. any/any match with my M1D before I sold it. Somehow I got squaded with JD Wilson, and shot after shot he called '10'. After five or six shots, I asked him "are you kidding?" He said "keep shooting, son".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I always enjoyed JD and Lynn. So many of our group have quit shooting, gotten too old, or passed on. The mid 90's to mid 2000's were a great bunch of shooters. I stopped shooting for about 12 years, and it was a whole new bunch at Wildcat. They were just as dedicated, and had the same camaraderie, skills and sportsmanship as the old bunch I shot with. I appreciated that even though I was no longer shooting master and high master scores, they respected the old guy. Some of them were fascinated to see a 30 Caliber bolt action on the line shooting rapids. Even in the 90's the bolt gun guys were a small number, by 2018 bolt action guys were mostly memories. no scopes or bipods back then. Once I went to semi autos I felt like I was cheating.

The highpower guys are like a fraternity, . I remember breaking a sling swivel on my rifle for 300 yard rapids at Camp Perry. A man who I was in tight competition with loaned me his so I could refire. I remember he said he did want to beat me, but only if he could beat me fair and square.

Glad to see new ones, and so many of the older ones still shooting highpower. Glad you are still shooting John.

Always favor the center.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I always enjoyed JD and Lynn. So many of our group have quit shooting, gotten too old, or passed on. The mid 90's to mid 2000's were a great bunch of shooters. I stopped shooting for about 12 years, and it was a whole new bunch at Wildcat. They were just as dedicated, and had the same camaraderie, skills and sportsmanship as the old bunch I shot with. I appreciated that even though I was no longer shooting master and high master scores, they respected the old guy. Some of them were fascinated to see a 30 Caliber bolt action on the line shooting rapids. Even in the 90's the bolt gun guys were a small number, by 2018 bolt action guys were mostly memories. no scopes or bipods back then. Once I went to semi autos I felt like I was cheating.

The highpower guys are like a fraternity, . I remember breaking a sling swivel on my rifle for 300 yard rapids at Camp Perry. A man who I was in tight competition with loaned me his so I could refire. I remember he said he did want to beat me, but only if he could beat me fair and square.

Glad to see new ones, and so many of the older ones still shooting highpower. Glad you are still shooting John.

Always favor the center.
    Well, Leo, I wish I could say that I am still shooting XTC but I am not. That was a good time for HighPower at Atterbury. Around 2005, life got in the way and I stopped going regularly. The last time I was on KD6 was in February of 2016, I was invited to test some new fangled target tracker contraption that was supposed to revolutionize the sport.

I miss being on the ready line.
    1903atAtterbury02062016b.jpg

Top Bottom