OH will recognize IN LTCH in the near future!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    As someone else said, going into a place that is marked clearly with no-guns signage can get you arrested for criminal trespass. Evidently also having a gun in a parking lot of a prohibited place can get you a lesser civil trespass charge, but it's probably an unlikely scenario. Must inform police immediately if pulled over, even if you're a passenger (I think). Can't carry while drinking but you can carry into a place that sells alcohol as long as you're not drinking. Supposedly cops there are not as OC friendly as in Indiana and hassle people more. Can't carry in police stations, universities (illegal by law unless locked in a car or in the process of being locked in a car in the parking lot), churches (unless you have explicit permission from the church), school safety zones (including school activities and everything up to school boundaries) etc...A big one is that you have a duty to retreat before use of deadly force unless you're in your home/car, as far as I understand. Also I hear that Ohio is the only state in the country that still places the burden of proof for self defense on the defendant rather than the prosecution having to prove it wasn't self defense. Hoping that changes soon. Those are all the big differences.

When you say that, does that mean they'll simply ask you to leave or will they straight up arrest you for unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    When you say that, does that mean they'll simply ask you to leave or will they straight up arrest you for unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon?

If the police show up, and the sign is statutorily compliant, you're getting charged with criminal trespass.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    The sign thing sucks as the MIL lives at a place with a sign at the entrance. I am willing to bet it is made to code. So much for my being able to legally protect her daughter and grandson should something happen (at least with supersonic projectiles).

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the context of this bill: What does "temporary" mean? I understand just driving through or visiting would now be covered.

But, if I go to work from IN to OH and go back to IN at the end of the day is this considered temporary?

Why do they offer a CHL to non-residents for the OH county that they work in?

Do they mean non-residents that live in OH for their job and go home on weekends for example and/or do not have a carry permit from their home state?

Just wondering.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The sign thing sucks as the MIL lives at a place with a sign at the entrance. I am willing to bet it is made to code. So much for my being able to legally protect her daughter and grandson should something happen (at least with supersonic projectiles).

Check the statutes, and perhaps a lawyer, but if it's her place of residence, and you're there with her permission, I don't believe the landlord can statutorily prohibit you from carrying. And as per Heller, if you're legally allowed to carry somewhere, you have to be legally allowed to *get* your firearm *to* that place.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And is it only "concealed"?
    It would only have to be concealed (mainly for car carry, <car is considered concealed in OH), if I recall right now OH is a constitutional open carry state, no license required regardless of residency.

Dunno if this has been addressed, but having lived in Ohio for 4 years, I can confirm both of his assertions.

OH is in fact a constitutional open carry state, with restrictions (churches/schools, gov't buildings etc...)

In the car is concealed carry, unless you unload the gun and empty the mag and keep the bullets separate, at which point you are legally "transporting" the firearm.

I'm not sure as to the legality of open carrying if you have a concealed carry licence. West Virginia's law was explained to me that if you have a licence, you are not allowed to open carry. This came from a small-town PD officer in a bar, so I'm not sure as to the veracity, but there are some quirks like that in OH.

My understanding of this law is that it does NOT remove the requirement to inform the officer if you are pulled over. After seeing some of the videos on OH CCW forums, I would recommend the response to the first thing the cop says should be "Excuse me officer, but pursuant to Ohio law, I am informing you that I am carrying a concealed firearm on a valid Indiana licence."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm not sure as to the legality of open carrying if you have a concealed carry licence. West Virginia's law was explained to me that if you have a licence, you are not allowed to open carry. This came from a small-town PD officer in a bar, so I'm not sure as to the veracity, but there are some quirks like that in OH.

I am not aware of any state that has crafted laws to this effect. I've seen it claimed but never supported.

There are various quirks in some states regarding restrictions upon concealed or open carry with or without a permit in certain places, but none which prohibit otherwise lawful open carry simply due to being licensed to conceal.

...My understanding of this law is that it does NOT remove the requirement to inform the officer if you are pulled over...

Right, even recognized licensees must inform unless transporting unloaded and secured according to their code.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the police show up, and the sign is statutorily compliant, you're getting charged with criminal trespass.

Oh... wait... we're talking about Ohio, not Indiana. Lol. My bad. Edited for being a dumbass who can't read a thread title...

I need to look up Ohio's signage requirements.

Last edited:

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Dunno if this has been addressed, but having lived in Ohio for 4 years, I can confirm both of his assertions.

OH is in fact a constitutional open carry state, with restrictions (churches/schools, gov't buildings etc...)

In the car is concealed carry, unless you unload the gun and empty the mag and keep the bullets separate, at which point you are legally "transporting" the firearm.

I'm not sure as to the legality of open carrying if you have a concealed carry licence. West Virginia's law was explained to me that if you have a licence, you are not allowed to open carry. This came from a small-town PD officer in a bar, so I'm not sure as to the veracity, but there are some quirks like that in OH.

My understanding of this law is that it does NOT remove the requirement to inform the officer if you are pulled over. After seeing some of the videos on OH CCW forums, I would recommend the response to the first thing the cop says should be "Excuse me officer, but pursuant to Ohio law, I am informing you that I am carrying a concealed firearm on a valid Indiana licence."

The highlighted text was accurate until early 2013, when a change in the definition of a "loaded firearm" went into affect. A loaded mag and empty firearm can be transported together if they are separated by some closure device (zipper, snap, velcro). For my travels through Ohio I bought one of those cheap soft-sided pistol cases from Wally, threw the empty pistol with slide locked back inside and the loaded mag in the front zipper pocket.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have some kind of internal resistance to accumulating permission slips so I may exercise my Constitutional rights while out and about. I did so in Indiana because I am a resident here and no other legal alternative exists (unless I want to carry cap and ball). I'll try to limit my travels and stay legal when traveling but I'm not into feeding a system I find unconstitutional to begin with.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    So, can someone send me the direct source on where it says Indiana will be accepted? I searched all the posts made and links posted for the word, "Indiana" and have not seen anything that specifically states that it will be accepted. Sorry if I missed it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So, can someone send me the direct source on where it says Indiana will be accepted? I searched all the posts made and links posted for the word, "Indiana" and have not seen anything that specifically states that it will be accepted. Sorry if I missed it.

All valid licenses will be accepted, just as Indiana recognizes all other valid licenses without specifying each state by name in the code.

Expands concealed carry reciprocity to visitors and persons temporarily in Ohio who have valid out-of-state licenses, regardless of whether the license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Ohio

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Why are you looking for the word "Indiana"?

Text of the bill:

Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Recognition of Indiana's LTCH, Section 109.69(B)(3):

(3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

The reciprocity section is 109.69(A)(1).

As far as I can tell, 109.69(B)(3) renders the reciprocity section moot with respect to licenses recognized/accepted by Ohio.

Top Bottom