OH will recognize IN LTCH in the near future!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Given the zeal in which the Ohio State Police enforce the speed limit on I-70, sometimes it feels like 6 months to drive across Ohio.:D

Just did the trek to Pittsburgh and back last week. I counted on the drive back alone - 21 LEO vehicles either in the medians or with someone pulled over. It was nuts. I had my weapon stored in the trunk with mags separate, but I still had this terrible feeling things would not go well. In at least three cases they had multiple squads at a stop and the full auto cavity search was going on.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Just did the trek to Pittsburgh and back last week. I counted on the drive back alone - 21 LEO vehicles either in the medians or with someone pulled over. It was nuts. I had my weapon stored in the trunk with mags separate, but I still had this terrible feeling things would not go well. In at least three cases they had multiple squads at a stop and the full auto cavity search was going on.
    I see this when I drive to Pittsburgh all the time. Ohio cops are exactly why I leave my gun at home instead of locking it in my trunk. I don't trust that it would be a non-event if they found out I had a gun, even legally.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Looks good and all but why not just get a Utah permit u til then? I got mine last August. Its been very helpful to have it and it was a great class!

I don't collect permission slips. I begrudgingly purchased the one required by my resident state and simply avoid states that don't consider it sufficient.

I may be able to remove Ohio from that list soon as they've recently been revising some of their nonsensical codes.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Looks good and all but why not just get a Utah permit u til then? I got mine last August. Its been very helpful to have it and it was a great class!

Very good advise.

I have the UTAH and AZ permits as well as my IN lifetime LTCH and my NRA membership. I consider these cost as part of the same fund that my training classes are paid from. The training to get the UT and AZ were good training classes.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Very good advise.

I have the UTAH and AZ permits as well as my IN lifetime LTCH and my NRA membership. I consider these cost as part of the same fund that my training classes are paid from. The training to get the UT and AZ were good training classes.
    What does AZ do for you that I have missed? Cuz I collect permission slips myself!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because I don't go anywhere else where a non-Indiana license is recognized but Indiana is not. It is not worth the time or money to pay for a license that I will not use.

Then there's the principle of the matter.

And then there's

I don't collect permission slips. I begrudgingly purchased the one required by my resident state and simply avoid states that don't consider it sufficient.

I may be able to remove Ohio from that list soon as they've recently been revising some of their nonsensical codes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For starters, you have to inform ASAP. Signs carry the weight of law. Something to do w/ alcholhol as well. I would really suggest brushing up on it...

Just looking for cliff notes, in case of emergency. No plans to go, but I do have a grandson in PA.
    I've had my Utah "permission slip":) long enough to have renewed it.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    So what will we have to do differently when carrying in Ohio vs IN?

As someone else said, going into a place that is marked clearly with no-guns signage can get you arrested for criminal trespass. Evidently also having a gun in a parking lot of a prohibited place can get you a lesser civil trespass charge, but it's probably an unlikely scenario. Must inform police immediately if pulled over, even if you're a passenger (I think). Can't carry while drinking but you can carry into a place that sells alcohol as long as you're not drinking. Supposedly cops there are not as OC friendly as in Indiana and hassle people more. Can't carry in police stations, universities (illegal by law unless locked in a car or in the process of being locked in a car in the parking lot), churches (unless you have explicit permission from the church), school safety zones (including school activities and everything up to school boundaries) etc...A big one is that you have a duty to retreat before use of deadly force unless you're in your home/car, as far as I understand. Also I hear that Ohio is the only state in the country that still places the burden of proof for self defense on the defendant rather than the prosecution having to prove it wasn't self defense. Hoping that changes soon. Those are all the big differences.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As someone else said, going into a place that is marked clearly with no-guns signage can get you arrested for criminal trespass. Evidently also having a gun in a parking lot of a prohibited place can get you a lesser civil trespass charge, but it's probably an unlikely scenario. Must inform police immediately if pulled over, even if you're a passenger (I think). Can't carry while drinking but you can carry into a place that sells alcohol as long as you're not drinking. Supposedly cops there are not as OC friendly as in Indiana and hassle people more. Can't carry in police stations, universities (illegal by law unless locked in a car or in the process of being locked in a car in the parking lot), churches (unless you have explicit permission from the church), school safety zones (including school activities and everything up to school boundaries) etc...A big one is that you have a duty to retreat before use of deadly force unless you're in your home/car, as far as I understand. Also I hear that Ohio is the only state in the country that still places the burden of proof for self defense on the defendant rather than the prosecution having to prove it wasn't self defense. Hoping that changes soon. Those are all the big differences.

For all its foibles, Indiana really does shine.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've been in Ohio for a few months now. I'm hoping things will start turning around for us gun owners here. The one thing that changes legislature is money. When they see that more travelers will come to Ohio, and spend their money, they will loosen up on more of their crazy gun policies.

Top Bottom