• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    It has been awhile since I have done any major off roading in a truck or SUV. When I was at Purdue I took several trips to the Badlands and always had a good time. This Mountaineer was my first vehicle, my dad bought it new in 1997, I started driving in 2007, and sold it in 2016. Over the years, I did a 2" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 33s, and swapped the AWD transfer case to a manual true 4x4 transfer case.

This fall I am looking forward to doing some beach driving on Cape Cod. That is about the limit I am looking to do with my pretty stock f150.
    badlands2.jpg
    badlands3.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    *Highest point between the rockies and some place in Europe.
    The plaque on the observation tower mentioned it but my legs were screaming it.
    Yea you’re right.
    IMG_6436.jpeg Sign says west of the Pyrenees in Europe.
    Apparently my reading comprehension went downhill on the climb as well. You said we needed oxygen.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    That checks the boxes. It's definitely in the running. Thanks.

ETA: One of the boxes was US made. In Indiana? Even better.
    I like LOD. My new Jeep got LOD front and rear. It seems like good quality stuff and I love that it’s made in our state!

Attachments

• IMG_1837.png
      IMG_1837.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 8
    • IMG_1745.jpeg
      IMG_1745.jpeg
      864.1 KB · Views: 8

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like LOD. My new Jeep got LOD front and rear. It seems like good quality stuff and I love that it’s made in our state!
    That looks awesome.

I just ordered the black ops front bumper from them, and destroyer rock rails. At some point I’m planning on getting the destroyer rear bumper with spare tire carrier.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Yea you’re right.
    View attachment 287720 Sign says west of the Pyrenees in Europe.
    Apparently my reading comprehension went downhill on the climb as well. You said we needed oxygen.
    I used to live and work at the Air Force Base just outside of Rapid City. I love that place and hiked Harney Peak several times. Make sure to drive the needles highway and 16A for great views and tunnels. Try to get up to spearfish canyon and eat at the latchstring inn for great buffalo stew!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I used to live and work at the Air Force Base just outside of Rapid City. I love that place and hiked Harney Peak several times. Make sure to drive the needles highway and 16A for great views and tunnels. Try to get up to spearfish canyon and eat at the latchstring inn for great buffalo stew!
    Wow that needles highway looks like a lot of fun. Have to fold the mirrors in on the phat Tundra to get through a couple of them.
    I'll add those to the places to g back to, I can't wait to go again.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Anybody ever thought about using an ATV for overland type adventures? Been watching some youtube videos of dudes camping off their ATVs... many out of custom homemade trailers. Going by thge DNR map on Indiana, I could (COULD mind you) feasibly take a circular tour of the state on county roads with my quad bike, and a trailer full of supplies.

Screenshot (655).png

The fancy outfits are the youtube guys.

Screenshot (591).png Screenshot (610).png Screenshot (640).png

The Prairie 400 with the truck box trailer (and my service dog) is what I'm tinkering with at the moment.

IMG_4144.JPG

Love to hear if anybody knows of long ( 2 or 3 day) and remote ATV trails around the midwest area.
    Also thinking maybe parts of the KAT or TWAT.
    Haven't really gone anywhere with it yet but the Badlands.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anybody ever thought about using an ATV for overland type adventures? Been watching some youtube videos of dudes camping off their ATVs... many out of custom homemade trailers. Going by thge DNR map on Indiana, I could (COULD mind you) feasibly take a circular tour of the state on county roads with my quad bike, and a trailer full of supplies.

View attachment 297575

View attachment 297571 View attachment 297572 View attachment 297573

The Prairie 400 with the truck box trailer (and my service dog) is what I'm tinkering with at the moment.

View attachment 297576

Love to hear if anybody knows of long ( 2 or 3 day) and remote ATV trails around the midwest area.

No offense to you sir, but I hope the folks using the roads on your ATV's have the decency to share the road? Unlike the PIA bicyclists, content to watch dozens of cars backed up behind them.

I have a buddy in rural Ripley county. Said the worst thing they ever did was allow ATV's on the road there. Also said, once allowed there is no going back. Complaining about the unlicensed, obnoxious, dangerous, noisy traffic falls on deaf ears with law enforcement.

:dunno:

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That looks awesome.

I just ordered the black ops front bumper from them, and destroyer rock rails. At some point I’m planning on getting the destroyer rear bumper with spare tire carrier.

I finally got the LOD front bumper installed. Rock rails just arrived so I’ll be installing those soon.

I really like the bumper. Was easy to install. I had no problem installing it and the winch myself. I was a bit disappointed with some quality issues with the welds. They looked good enough other than they didn’t bother to clean up the weld spatter. Outside looked great. Not a blemish anywhere. Other than the spatter inside the bumper :thumbsup:

Well. The packaging was a PITA. They pack it with spray foam which made it a real pain to unpack. Worth it because that’s probably why FedEx didn’t destroy the finish. The boxes were really beat up but everything made it without a scratch.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

View attachment 297575

View attachment 297571 View attachment 297572 View attachment 297573

View attachment 297576

I’d second the UP. Indiana backroads and trying to find campsites just don’t sound that much fun, but that’s just me.

Also, connecting the dots with you on MO FB in a super secret squirrel creepy kind of way ;)

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    No offense to you sir, but I hope the folks using the roads on your ATV's have the decency to share the road? Unlike the PIA bicyclists, content to watch dozens of cars backed up behind them.

I have a buddy in rural Ripley county. Said the worst thing they ever did was allow ATV's on the road there. Also said, once allowed there is no going back. Complaining about the unlicensed, obnoxious, dangerous, noisy traffic falls on deaf ears with law enforcement.

:dunno:
    Plenty of "unlicensed, obnoxious, dangerous, noisy traffic" on the road anyway, even without ATVs, so you can't blame that on them.

Sharing the road? It's only allowed on "county roads", so it's not like there's traffic jams going on.
    Most ATVs can do 40 or 50 mph easily, so it's not as slow as a bicycle, but still easy enough to pass.
    If there putting around real slow... that's most likely the rider... not the ATV. Nothing you can really do about idiots.

In the other counties, or on other roads, they are required to ride on the "right of way". (grass besides the road) and only cross at a 90 degree angle.

As far as falling "on deaf ears with law enforcement" goes... traffic violations (if there is one, and in many counties an ATV on county roads IS legal) is only an infraction, and therefore way down the priority list compared to other crimes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Plenty of "unlicensed, obnoxious, dangerous, noisy traffic" on the road anyway, even without ATVs, so you can't blame that on them.

Sharing the road? It's only allowed on "county roads", so it's not like there's traffic jams going on.
    Most ATVs can do 40 or 50 mph easily, so it's not as slow as a bicycle, but still easy enough to pass.
    If there putting around real slow... that's most likely the rider... not the ATV. Nothing you can really do about idiots.

In the other counties, or on other roads, they are required to ride on the "right of way". (grass besides the road) and only cross at a 90 degree angle.

As far as falling "on deaf ears with law enforcement" goes... traffic violations (if there is one, and in many counties an ATV on county roads IS legal) is only an infraction, and therefore way down the priority list compared to other crimes.

Like I said... :n00b:

All wheeled vehicles operating on our roadways should be plated and insured. Simple as that.

:twocents:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Only when they are on the public roadways. Thank you!

:)
    No thank you.
    Big government much?

You know that the tractors and 4 wheelers and 4 wheelers that identify as tractors are all insured, right?
    Why do they need to be plated?

Don’t know what the uninsured motorist percentage is but I guarantee you nearly 100% of farm equipment is insured.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No thank you.
    Big government much?

You know that the tractors and 4 wheelers and 4 wheelers that identify as tractors are all insured, right?
    Why do they need to be plated?

Don’t know what the uninsured motorist percentage is but I guarantee you nearly 100% of farm equipment is insured.

Good to know on the insurance. Thanks for the info!

It's not big government, it's just equal gov't. The rest of us need to register our vehicles to use the roadways, so should everybody. Especially those who are notorious for impeding traffic, without concern. Vehicle registration brings some accountability to that problem.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Good to know on the insurance. Thanks for the info!

It's not big government, it's just equal gov't. The rest of us need to register our vehicles to use the roadways, so should everybody. Especially those who are notorious for impeding traffic, without concern.

There’s no way we’re taking a $50,000 or $250,000 tractor out, or letting one sit in the barnlot even, without insurance. New combines are a million bucks now.

I think some counties (maybe most?) do require registration of orv’s to use on county roads. That’s probably ignored by most though.
    Not sure how registration changes anything though.

Top Bottom