• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Adam-12 never had this problem. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm just going to throw this out there.
    When I lived on a mountain in CA I helped out with our volunteer FD. Any medical call we had that involved a domestic or gunshots, the FD (which also consisted of an ambulance) would set up and hold in a staging area until the Sheriff/CHP would clear the site for us to roll on in. So even if we we responded in plenty of time to save the life, we would still sit there (sometimes close enough to watch) until called in.

Cops made that call.

That's all. Now go back to your.....I'm not even sure what you guys are doing. :n00b:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am still waiting on more facts to come to the light and not jumping to conclusions. I think two officers per car is something what would change the circumstances in a number of cases. I understand there is a shortage of manpower often. That should change. There is immediate back up always if two in a car. If something happens it is not simply his word against his word.
    ISP, like us, is suffering from a manpower shortage and few are applying. No one wants to be the police. I understand what you are saying but it will not likely happen.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Im pretty sure in at least the first article the rental vehicle was parked in front of the Tahoe, so that shouldn't of played any factor
    Here’s the quote in the paper.

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]Riley said that nearly three hours later, the same trooper passed the Tahoe and saw that a second car, a white 2018 Dodge, had pulled in front of the SUV.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]Riley said the trooper “noticed a handgun on the waist of Mr. Rightsell as he pulled around behind the Tahoe.” Riley said the trooper turned on his emergency lights and spotlight to investigate why a second vehicle was there.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]“The trooper wasn’t sure whether someone was there stealing something or what,” Riley said.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    ISP, like us, is suffering from a manpower shortage and few are applying. No one wants to be the police. I understand what you are saying but it will not likely happen.
    I agree it is unlikely. It is too bad no one wants to be the police. ISP is spread way too thin and has been for a long time.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Here’s the quote in the paper.

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]Riley said that nearly three hours later, the same trooper passed the Tahoe and saw that a second car, a white 2018 Dodge, had pulled in front of the SUV.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]Riley said the trooper “noticed a handgun on the waist of Mr. Rightsell as he pulled around behind the Tahoe.” Riley said the trooper turned on his emergency lights and spotlight to investigate why a second vehicle was there.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)][FONT=var(--body-5_-_font-family)]“The trooper wasn’t sure whether someone was there stealing something or what,” Riley said.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Almost leads to more confusion. Says he seen the car in front of the Tahoe as he passed then goes on to say the trooper pulled in behind the Tahoe. So which was it? He passed or pulled in behind. Or am i led to believe the trooper stopped on the highway after passing then backed up on the highway to pull behind Tahoe. Or did the Trooper continue on, do a u turn, and then come back and do another u turn to pull behind Tahoe?
    Im guessing just misinformation from early reporting maybe?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That is a tough duty. Moving all over the state etc.
    For sure. I would rather tax dollars go to more troopers on the road and to better gear and training than to a number of programs and things we spend tax money on.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm no fan of Cville hospital BUT in this situation it is where I would want myself or my family member taken. It's literally less than 5 minutes from the incident. I would want the victim to go there and get stabilized as quickly as possible.

Even driving at a high rate of speed, it's going to take 40 minutes to get to one of the Indianapolis trauma centers. Lafayette may be slightly closer in miles, but on a 2-lane road even an ambulance can't make great time so that's no better.

Agreed.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Almost leads to more confusion. Says he seen the car in front of the Tahoe as he passed then goes on to say the trooper pulled in behind the Tahoe. So which was it? He passed or pulled in behind. Or am i led to believe the trooper stopped on the highway after passing then backed up on the highway to pull behind Tahoe. Or did the Trooper continue on, do a u turn, and then come back and do another u turn to pull behind Tahoe?
    Troop passes and then It’s said he pulled around behind the Tahoe. Sounds pretty clear to me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Regardless of circumstance, we need to find a way to make the scene secure faster.

There has to be a way one man with one exposed gun can get life saving medical treatment as opposed to dyeing slowly while waiting for it.

That could be ANY one of us laying there on the side of the road, including off duty officers.

Amen X 100.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Hard to say what happened. Could have come from the opposite direction and did a U turn. Would have been easy to see a OC gun. Could have pulled in from behind and seen the gun. It seems that seeing the gun was a point of emphasis.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hard to say what happened. Could have come from the opposite direction and did a U turn. Would have been easy to see a OC gun. Could have pulled in from behind and seen the gun. It seems that seeing the gun was a point of emphasis.

So he already knew the guy was OC. Sounds like that set his tone for the stop. But again, ??

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Troop passes and then It’s said he pulled around behind the Tahoe. Sounds pretty clear to me.

Then he must have been coming from opposite direction and did a u turn then. I dont know the area of the stop. Is this a divided highway? Seperated by concrete median or grass median? Is there a distance seperating the north/south(east/west) lanes that would make it difficult for the trooper to see an open carried weapon? Wasn't it also dark at the time as well, further making it more difficult to make out a weapon from a distance while moving at speed? Just trying to get a better understanding of what info is out there

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm curious how long it took the first Crawfordville PD or Montgomery Co officer to arrive on the scene. You can almost hit where this happened from the north end of town by throwing a rock.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Then he must have been coming from opposite direction and did a u turn then. I dont know the area of the stop. Is this a divided highway? Seperated by concrete median or grass median? Is there a distance seperating the north/south(east/west) lanes that would make it difficult for the trooper to see an open carried weapon? Wasn't it also dark at the time as well, further making it more difficult to make out a weapon from a distance while moving at speed? Just trying to get a better understanding of what info is out there

If it was near North Montgomery High School, it's two lanes that has a turning lane and widened shoulder on the right near the entrance to the school. You don't get to the divided 4-lane part until you get close to the I-74 entrance/exits.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If it was near North Montgomery High School, it's two lanes that has a turning lane and widened shoulder on the right near the entrance to the school. You don't get to the divided 4-lane part until you get close to the I-74 entrance/exits.

Got ya. Thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom