• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville

If the goal of being "politically correct" is to not offend anyone. Then the people that are offended my political correctness (read: me) will be offended thereby not falling in line with the base ideology. THEREFORE the only way to to be TRULY 100% Politically correct is to offend everyone 100% of the time.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I am really starting to become disgusted with most Retail Outdoors Stores as of late anyway...

I never really paid much attention, I went in got what I needed and left..

Since getting married and the wife is really getting into camping, shooting, fishing we have spent a great deal more time in these places...

I would hazard a guess that oer 50% of their business is now home deco, childrens stuff, and clothing... And I would guess that a majority of that is to none hunters, shooters...

I almost always OC as I am still on the chunky side and it is comfortable..

I get more sideways looks in these places then I do in Walgreens or Wally World...

The staff is NOT knowledgable and the ones who are neer last long because they are only getting stanard retail pay scale..

Much like Autoparts stores now.

Used to be the people behind the counters were avid hunters, shooters, fishermen..

Parts stores used to be filled with retired or crippled up mechanics that had useful knowledge. Now if it isnt on their screen they don't have a clue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone remember Indy Sports in Fishers back in the late 1990s?

They didn't last long, but they had an impressive selection of firearms. In addition, they had an ELAND mount. It was just the head and neck, but that guy's neck was bigger around at the base than I was then (which was huge)! It was one of the coolest trophies I've ever seen.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We were in the GM in Castleton just yesterday and I didn't notice the mounts were gone. That's one of the things I love about that type of store. I take pictures of the mounts at every Bass Pro we go to. I put them on FaceBook even. This makes me sad. Guess I need my own mounts to make myself feel better now

Sierra117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    lebanon
    Of all the times i've been in GM i cant think of one time that i've seen more people in the clothing area's than the gun area. I dont know what the suits in the front offices are thinking anymore. What happend to the days when the outdoors store was designed towards the outdoorsman instead of the yuppie looking for the latest northface jacket? :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    First the mounts, then the guns... Of course if their mentality is that of "common sense" gun control solutions, they have to start repositioning themselves to market to groups other than gun owners. I suspect they will pay dearly for this one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never noticed they had them, so I certainly won't notice they are gone. What I have routinely noticed is the prices there are...at the upper end of the market, shall we say?

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    A friend of mine had several mounts at the Greenwood GM. They called him and ask him to come and get them because they were remodeling. Another reason not to trust them.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I'm offended that they are offended. IT'S A FREAKING HUNTING STORE! :):

Why would you hire people to run this kind of business(assuming it was the new corporates like it said in OP) that were against the kind of thing that the store stands for? Oh well :ugh:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm convinced that there are a group of people walking around looking to be offended. I am personally offended that an outdoor sports store has to bow to the wishes of a bunch of limp-wristed liberals. Even worse is that they are doing it to themselves out of fear that someone will complain. When will it end?

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    The article I read said that they felt it would be offensive to some of their customers.. Try and make sense out of that garbage..

Trying to be all things to all people. That's what the PC movement is all about: correcting a majority-embraced philosophy (in this case the displaying of trophy mounts in a place where huting/fishing equipment and apparel is sold) in an effort to appease a very small percentage of a customer base that might find such displays offensive.
    PC = :bs:
    GM just became a place for me to try on clothing for proper sizing before ordering from the manufacturer's online catalog. Same for their shooting accessories.:twocents:

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    It is bad when a small section of their customer base dictates what the rest of the customers will view. As an example I was at Cabelas yesterday and hey have an Alaskan Moose on display. I was amazed at the size and can now understand how they can get so much meat from one when they harvest the moose. I appreciated seeing the moose as well as other animals that I may never get to see in the wild. It would have been a shame if they buckeled under to the same political correctness...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hmm. the GM in Evansville has a sweet buffalo head mount. Maybe I should call and see if I could get it on the cheap. That dude would fill up a wall in my living room:D

I've had little use for GM and even less now:noway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WTF? Sounds like the corporation is being run by businessmen who don't understand their own market or customer base.

I know Dick's crushed the last embers of Galyan's, but the chain was dead when it got yuppified and left its real outdoorsman's roots behind everywhere but the Plainfield store. I miss Galyan's.

Gander Mountain is turning into REI. REI won't stock anything camo-colored.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't like the mounts myself, but they should not be removed for political correctness or to increase business. I don't expect the world to conform to my beliefs. I miss Galyans too...such a great store. I used to live in West Lafayette...every time we traveled to Indianapolis, there was a mandatory Galyans visit.

Top Bottom