• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He blew it, again. I'm thinking that he has failed to be briefed by the Department of State on basic protocol and etiquette. Here's the basics. Americans do not bow to foreign rulers, kings, queens or emperors. It's just not done. You can shake their hands, but that's as far as it goes. He committed a grave error in protocol.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    He blew it, again. I'm thinking that he has failed to be briefed by the Department of State on basic protocol and etiquette. Here's the basics. Americans do not bow to foreign rulers, kings, queens or emperors. It's just not done. You can shake their hands, but that's as far as it goes. He committed a grave error in protocol.
    Note to self... Don't bow to foreign leaders... Don't rub on the Queen... Maybe by the end of his term he will start sailing more smoothly?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

On the one hand, in Japan a bow is not a "sign of subservience," it's simply a polite greeting--their culture's equivalent of a handshake. If you'll note, Akihito also bows slightly simultaneous with Obama's bow.

On the other, however, Obama's bow is much deeper than Akihito's and the depth of the bow does indicate relative status (or things like contrition--somebody who is apologizing for something will bow deeply).

In this case, I suspect it's more a case of Obama once again ignoring the protocol advisor (does he even realize there is, or was, one?) rather than a deliberate sign of subservience. Considering his past history of snubbing the British while bowing and scraping to the Saudi's I'd expect him to snub the Japanese rather than be subservient to them. Japan's relationship with the US has been entirely too friendly for Obama.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    when you think you're the damn king, you can pretty much do what you want. Unfortunately for us peons........

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes, he blow it, again! But we wanted change!! The President of the United States of America should not bow to anyone. Yes, a bow is a "polite greeting" in Japan but the President has protocol and bowing is not part of it.
    I am sure we will see more!

POW!! WAK!!!

Stay Tuned to this same Obama Station for the latest Obama updates!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    It wouldn't surprise me if his advisers told him to do it this time. That way they can try to pass off the bow to the King in Saudi Arabia as just another faux pas. Not only is bowing in Japan just normal (as stated above he should have been careful to not bow more than the Emperor did) they are an important ally to the US. Let's not kid ourselves the Saudis are not our friend. They act like they are but remember they are the ones exporting Wahhabism in the rest of the muslim world. Not particularly friendly to the West and us infidels.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, flame me for this I guess, but I'm going to give him the benefit of ignorance on this one. Yea, I think he went to far in his deep bow, but then again, I think maybe he thought he was just being polite.

I went to try to find videos of other Presidents greeting Japanese leaders, but my search foo is weak today. Regardless, I'm sure this isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    vaseline.jpg

That is all. :D

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Maybe he is finally leading by example? That way the rest of us are used to being bent over every time he does something else.

Even if his bow of greeting was legitimate, he bowed too deeply. Never more than the other person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    On the one hand, in Japan a bow is not a "sign of subservience," it's simply a polite greeting--their culture's equivalent of a handshake. If you'll note, Akihito also bows slightly simultaneous with Obama's bow.

On the other, however, Obama's bow is much deeper than Akihito's and the depth of the bow does indicate relative status (or things like contrition--somebody who is apologizing for something will bow deeply).

In this case, I suspect it's more a case of Obama once again ignoring the protocol advisor (does he even realize there is, or was, one?) rather than a deliberate sign of subservience. Considering his past history of snubbing the British while bowing and scraping to the Saudi's I'd expect him to snub the Japanese rather than be subservient to them. Japan's relationship with the US has been entirely too friendly for Obama.

Dburkhead's post is dead on target. I have lived in Japan since 1998, speak and read the language (and of course shag the chicks ;)), so I know the culture fairly well. Obama was not wrong to bow to the Emperor. If and when I ever get my butt back to Indy and can make an :ingo: event, I wonder how popular I'd be if I refused to shake hands with anyone there? :dunno: Not very, because according to the local culture doing so would make me look like an arrogant a-hole...not the best impresion to give when meeting new people. You can't go into someone else's backyard and show no respect for the local culture/customs/social rules and expect to be treated warmly, POTUS or not. :nono:

He was not wrong to bow, but he DID bow far too deeply!! I don't recall ever seeing even regular Japanese people bowing this low to the Emperor here on Japanese TV!! The level Obama went down to is the "Oh :poop: I really screwed up/I'm not worthy/I am pond scum!!!" level. Notice that he barely moved for the Empress. Considering how far he went down for the Emperor, did he polish the Imperial 'sword' while he was down there, too? Maybe we should start calling him President Okama (= :gheyhi: :gaychase:)...???
    The feminazi's would be already be marching their unshorn combat-booted legs over to the White House to protest the unequalness of his bows if Barry wasn't their idealo(Il)logical darling...

Either his diplomatic protocol officers suck, or the Teleprompter in Chief is going out of his way to debase himself to the rest of the world's big cheeses...

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Obama just loves to bend over for foreign leaders. Seems he just cant help himself.

Frank Marshall Davis taught him well.
    “The National Enquirer now suggests Barack Obama had an underage, gay affair with a pedophile. Yup. That Frank Marshall Davis guy Barry says was his good friend? Turns out he was a perv of the first order and liked young boys.

Top Bottom