• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Obama bowed too low, he should have stooped over a bit, thats all. The Japanese Emperor did not bow that low. Then Obama went on to apologize for everything America did wrong (in his opinion) including not walking faster during the Bataan Death March. He's a moron and he proves it every time he opens his mouth or shows his face.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Obama bowed too low, he should have stooped over a bit, thats all. The Japanese Emperor did not bow that low. Then Obama went on to apologize for everything America did wrong (in his opinion) including not walking faster during the Bataan Death March. He's a moron and he proves it every time he opens his mouth or shows his face.

Now this I have no disagreement with at all.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure of the protocol, but good manners might dictate a slight bow equal to the emporer's. To me, it appears that the current POTUS is a undeucated child who doesn't know any better and may very well have disgraced himself. Admitedly, my knowledge of Japanese culture comes from reading "Shogun" as a kid 25 years ago.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh no!! He did it again!!

bk.jpg

Heh heh :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    He knew exactly what he was doing. Don't fool yourselves. Every little bit of everything a leader does on a formal occasion is discussed.

I believe he was making a point. Our past policy of Presidents never bowing was making the point of how we feel as a nation about the legitimacy of non-elected rulers, like kings and emperors. It didn't use to be a debatable point that no non-elected ruler was automatically illegitimate. (Yes, I know Japan's emperor is a figurehead.) Obama has made it clear that he doesn't hold our system of government as superior to other systems around the world. He's as much as said it. His bow to the Saudi King, and now his (I think purposful) subservient bow to the emperor is him illustrating his stated position with symbolic action.

Top Bottom