NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've flashed new firmware on a Quansheng HT then used "chirp" software to get the channels saved. It's a lot easier than manually programming..... Yes, I know... Ham thread.
    But with regard to GMRS, why are base stations/mobile units not able to transmit on channels 8 to 14? But handhelds are able to transmit on those channels.

@tv1217 commented that GMRS base stations are limited to 0.5 Watts but are able to transmit on 8 to 14 but MIDLAND doesn't even program 8 to 15 as available frequencies on their base station/mobile units.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well F me... The job I had lined up in Bluffton just got put on hold. Really wish I had not been lead on for 2 months. I guess I can't say I was lead on. The budget could have been cut. The job search intensifies.

Or hear jedi out..
    Have kids and you can then claim the child tax credit and earned income credit and get a hhhuuugggeee tax refund around this time.

:)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've flashed new firmware on a Quansheng HT then used "chirp" software to get the channels saved. It's a lot easier than manually programming..... Yes, I know... Ham thread.
    I used Chirp with my first radio(Baofeng UV82hp) and RTSystems with both my Yaesus. It's a huge time saver not only because programming through the radio menus is so slow but also because you can import from Repeaterbook and a few others. I added every 2m/70cm Repeater within 60 miles of Kouts and it would have taken me hours to manually enter them all in the software and a president or two to do it directly on the radios.

That's HAM though. There's a lot less to do with GMRS unless you travel a lot.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    But with regard to GMRS, why are base stations/mobile units not able to transmit on channels 8 to 14? But handhelds are able to transmit on those channels.

@tv1217 commented that GMRS base stations are limited to 0.5 Watts but are able to transmit on 8 to 14 but MIDLAND doesn't even program 8 to 15 as available frequencies on their base station/mobile units.
    That's a manufacturer decision it seems.

I think that radio is only capable of operating in wide band mode with no way of switching to narrow band as those channels require, so they just cut them out.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It comes down to a few choices on the product they wanna make.

1) All channels accessible in the proper mode = $↑, Performance ↑, Channel selection ↑
    2)Narrowband only on all channels $↓, Performance ↓ Channel selection ↑
    3)Wideband with only channels where it's allowed $ ↓, Performance ↑, Channel selection ↓

P.S. Finding the damn arrows on my phone keyboard was a bigger PITA than Jedi.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That's a manufacturer decision it seems.

I think that radio is only capable of operating in wide band mode with no way of switching to narrow band as those channels require, so they just cut them out.
    I think I found the answer.

Seems like it is an actual FCC regulation. I dunno why it exists. But seems like da rules be da rules.

Specifically, the rule in Part 95, Subpart E which limits the frequencies commonly assigned to channels 8-14 to hand-held radios only. Applicable section (from § 95.1763 GMRS channels):

(d) 467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5675, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

Those channel center frequencies are the seven frequencies assigned to GMRS channels 8-14.

In other words, only handheld GMRS radios can transmit on channels 8-14 because, well, you can only transmit on channels 8-14 with a handheld GMRS radio.

Because the FCC said so.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It comes down to a few choices on the product they wanna make.

1) All channels accessible in the proper mode = $↑, Performance ↑, Channel selection ↑
    2)Narrowband only on all channels $↓, Performance ↓ Channel selection ↑
    3)Wideband with only channels where it's allowed $ ↓, Performance ↑, Channel selection ↓

P.S. Finding the damn arrows on my phone keyboard was a bigger PITA than Jedi.
    This makes no sense to me.

The Midland MTX500 unit is $10 more than the Wouxun KG1000 PLUS, but the Wouxun is superheterodyne instead of the cheaper/lower performing system on a chip design, narrowband and wideband, much wider channel selection, etc etc etc

But Jedi is a PITA, to that we can all agree

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I think I found the answer.

Seems like it is an actual FCC regulation. I dunno why it exists. But seems like da rules be da rules.

Specifically, the rule in Part 95, Subpart E which limits the frequencies commonly assigned to channels 8-14 to hand-held radios only. Applicable section (from § 95.1763 GMRS channels):

(d) 467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5675, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

Those channel center frequencies are the seven frequencies assigned to GMRS channels 8-14.

In other words, only handheld GMRS radios can transmit on channels 8-14 because, well, you can only transmit on channels 8-14 with a handheld GMRS radio.

Because the FCC said so.
    Alrighty then that's weird, I dunno why they would do that. Txing overpower and overbandwidth on those channels could easily be avoided by requiring the radios be programmed and locked to the right power and bandwidth settings to certify for import and sale.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    This makes no sense to me.

The Midland MTX500 unit is $10 more than the Wouxun KG1000 PLUS, but the Wouxun is superheterodyne instead of the cheaper/lower performing system on a chip design, narrowband and wideband, much wider channel selection, etc etc etc

But Jedi is a PITA, to that we can all agree
    What it costs to manufacture vs. how much they charge the consumer are two different things. The Wouxun could very well cost more to produce but Midland has brand recognition and "American company" status to be able to charge more for a lower grade product which was probably produced in a factory not far from their competitor.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Alrighty then that's weird, I dunno why they would do that. Txing overpower and overbandwidth on those channels could easily be avoided by requiring the radios be programmed and locked to the right power and bandwidth settings to certify for import and sale.
    What makes sense, and what the government does are two different things.

Remember, JEDI is a gubmint werker. That alone could explain the logic of da FCC

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What it costs to manufacture vs. how much they charge the consumer are two different things. The Wouxun could very well cost more to produce but Midland has brand recognition and "American company" status to be able to charge more for a lower grade product which was probably produced in a factory not far from their competitor.
    FWIW, and I am still very undecided, but if I get one it will likely be the Wouxun mobil unit, it seems to be far higher quality in terms of features and functionality than the Midland. BTech is the budget choice, but things like audio clarity seem to be lacking when compared to the higher quality units.

As for handhelds, I'm also leaning to the Wouxun. The model KG-Q10G. Pretty sure, since they don't come in Pink, Jedi would not buy one. Honestly not sure why they don't have a hi-viz yellow or safety orange option.

I'd also consider this handheld, but it actually is available in PINK so probably would disqualify that model completely from consideration

This one has some appeal too, interesting features. It is a BTech/Baofeng.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Evil laugh....
    Evil laugh....

Just passed the racoon cages to another member. Those racoons don't stand a chance now!

Death to all those trash pandas!

And to top it off we did the drop off at hammond schoops. :)

Top Bottom