NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    You can use all the channels, there are just Tx power limits. Channels 1-7 are 5 W; 8-14 are half watt Narrowband, 15-22 are 50W

If you were to buy any modern GMRS radio, whether that be a base/mobile station or a handheld, all of this would come programmed in. There's not even really a restriction on a handheld being over 5 watts, the manufacturers usually do that keep you in safe RF exposure range.

Programming for repeaters is the only part that could get complicated. Some radios limit you to the simplex Channels 1-22 and the generic Repeater Channels 15RPT-22RPT. Those repeater channels are just pre programmed with the proper frequency offsets for repeater operation. E.g. Channel 17RPT has an Output on 467.600MHz and input on 462.700MHz(and repeaters themselves will be the opposite)

The part that might complicate this is virtually all repeaters out there in the world utilize CTCSS(also called PL) or DCS tones to "access" them so they're not repeating every open signal that comes in on their input frequency. This isn't really a problem if you plan to use it in a single area off one repeater. Say Lake and Porter counties so you plan to use Crete. You'll hear it on Repeater Channel 17 but you won't be able to talk on it unless you set their Tone in your radio to the one they have set.

Repeater owners on GMRS don't like people posting the tones out in the wild so I'll use different ones as example.

So let's say Crete has a PL Tone of 77, so you set the radio to Channel 17RPT and go in your menu and set the PL tone to 77 and now you can use it. This is fine if you don't plan to plan to use other repeaters on Channel 17.

But let's say you go down to southern Indiana. There's a repeater in Floyd's Knob(giggle) also on Repeater Channel 17. Chances are it's on a different Tone. It wouldn't work with PL 77 so you'd have to go into your settings again and change it to whatever they have set. This can be not a huge deal or a giant pain in the butt depending on how many radios you have to set when you get there and how much you plan to bounce around on repeaters.

Thankfully a lot of newer GMRS radios will let you just save these settings as additional channels and usually name them.

P.S. Shut up Tom
    I've flashed new firmware on a Quansheng HT then used "chirp" software to get the channels saved. It's a lot easier than manually programming..... Yes, I know... Ham thread.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Boundry Waters is my parents go to restaurant, that is in DeMotte. Yesteryears is always good, that is a little butcher that makes great lunches. If you go to Yesteryears, I suggest the italian beef and have them dip it. Best in the region. There used to be a bunch of places to eat around Kankakee Valley, but Covid did a lot of them in.
    There is also Marcalla's right across the street from Kankakee Valley. Pizza there used to be pretty good, but I heard there are new owners.
    Yesteryears or Marcella’s. Haven’t heard of the new owner but their pizza was always good. Been to SP19 one time. Probably won’t be a 2.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    May need Jedi’s cage. I can still hear another one upstairs this morning.
    Living with uninvited guests is one of the worst things……. Rats mice bats raccoons squirrels bugs…. Any of them. One of the few times the inlaws are the best option. Luckily mice are the only ones I have had to deal with…. My parents dealt with squirrels.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Marcella’s was really good never heard of new owners…. The garlic knots will burn your mouth lol people seem to love them though.

Mr24g

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2024
    NWI
    Living with uninvited guests is one of the worst things……. Rats mice bats raccoons squirrels bugs…. Any of them. One of the few times the inlaws are the best option.
    Sad part is. I’ve never even had a single bug or critter. But somehow this raccoon bastards desired my attic was the best place for them. And I can’t seem to comprehend why.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Sad part is. I’ve never even had a single bug or critter. But somehow this raccoon bastards desired my attic was the best place for them. And I can’t seem to comprehend why.
    Never a single bug in the house lol you must be way far north not even bugs can survive only raccoons.

They chose you Because you have a tree branch hanging over your roof I bet. They seem to come in the soffit often.

Mr24g

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2024
    NWI
    Never a single bug in the house lol you must be way far north not even bugs can survive only raccoons.

They chose you Because you have a tree branch hanging over your roof I bet. They seem to come in the soffit often.
    Cut every branch that was even remotely close to the roof. Black peppered the entire attic. No foos sources besides the fridge inside the house. I can’t figure it out.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Cut every branch that was even remotely close to the roof. Black peppered the entire attic. No foos sources besides the fridge inside the house. I can’t figure it out.
    I mean they are there for the insulation to make a nice nest. Without the branch I am wondering how they are getting in then. like I said a damaged soffit is my guess. Maybe something going up the side of the house? A bush lattice 4x4 post for an awning? If you find out how they are getting in you could chase them out at dusk and then seal it up.

Top Bottom